SuperLeague a done deal- New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Half of the invited Clubs haven't won anything in years if not decades and in Tottenhams case uhm they've never actually won any major titles.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
No I didn't :facepalm:
2 examples I ALREADY gave : Atalanta. Sevilla.
Also the fact some come from smaller leagues was never in your initial post. Convenient to move the goalposts, especially since it's nothing to do with their competitiveness in the CL.

I assumed people would be able to understand that I wasn't talking about the best teams outside La Liga, Serie A, EPL, and Bundesliga. Can you at least attempt to argue honestly here?

Sevilla has been in and out of European play for a long time. What makes you think they're doing anything different now?

Atalanta is a newcomer. They're a pretty small club having big success. I don't know if they'll be able to maintain it. Time will tell.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I assumed people would be able to understand that I wasn't talking about the best teams outside La Liga, Serie A, EPL, and Bundesliga. Can you at least attempt to argue honestly here?

Sevilla has been in and out of European play for a long time. What makes you think they're doing anything different now?

Atalanta is a newcomer. They're a pretty small club having big success. I don't know if they'll be able to maintain it. Time will tell.

The f*** are Tottenham , Arsenal and ManU doing in a Superleague ? They've been shit for years and in Tottenhams case the club has never been actually any good

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Sevilla has missed european footy once in the last decade I believe.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Used to watch that a bit after highschool classes. They dont watch soccer so, it shouldnt matter what they say. They just yell

Basically.

Their point was that they wanted to see the biggest teams and the best players play eachother.

They did acknowledge that it was an outsider perspective and that they did not understand the tradition and would probably be pissed if they were Euros.

Also compared with the big schools breaking away from the NCAA and creating their own thing.

So they kinda get it... yet say it does not matter and they wanna see the biggest teams and players.

SL on ESPN+ confirmed :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
We can only speculate why Tottenham is in and Sevilla is not. My guess is Sevilla was offered a spot and declined

Sevilla, winners of last season’s Europa League, have expressed their “outright rejection of a tournament based exclusively on economic parameters and outside the scope of action of UEFA.”
More from the statement sent out by their board of directors on Monday:
“The creation of this Super League would only serve to harm football in general and the rest of the teams. At the same time, it would severely hit society and punish the vast majority of real football fans, who would be left without the true essence of the sport: The illusion of enjoying their team and seeing it compete for the highest aspirations.”

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Americans ruin everything. Make every European club 51% owned by the fans and kick the Americans out and never let them in!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I mean, everyone was mad when the ACC raided for teams, and then when some abandoned to go to the Big Ten. Stuff happens. Stuff changes.
Those are in the context of a country with a sporting history of closed "best on best" leagues with relocations/expansion/realignment being a consistent reality. Not sure how comparable that is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think there are enough of them tbh. And especially not enough of them who can be relied on to spend money.
It's all about tv ratings. Diehards won't be able to stay away from watching, and this'll bring in more casual fans since it'll be big matches all the time. This is assuming it actually happens and the massive backlash doesn't stop it or Champions League offering them more money doesn't stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad