SuperLeague a done deal- New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
More on what LITN mentioned earlier:

Bamford on Sky: "From what I've seen on Twitter, I haven't seen one football fan who's happy about (the ESL). Football's for the fans. Without the fans, football clubs would be nothing. It's important we stand our ground.

Bamford also made the point that "it's amazing the amount of uproar when someone's pocket is being hurt". Says it's a shame that it doesn't respond in the same way to issues like racism.

James Milner on the ESL: "I can only say my own opinion - I don't like it and I hope it doesn't happen. For the same reasons as everyone else."

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Sevilla, winners of last season’s Europa League, have expressed their “outright rejection of a tournament based exclusively on economic parameters and outside the scope of action of UEFA.”
More from the statement sent out by their board of directors on Monday:
“The creation of this Super League would only serve to harm football in general and the rest of the teams. At the same time, it would severely hit society and punish the vast majority of real football fans, who would be left without the true essence of the sport: The illusion of enjoying their team and seeing it compete for the highest aspirations.”​

Not invited and annoyed then

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Amazing that you think the money will still be there without the big teams. The super league teams are the money makers for the whole system. They are the reason lesser teams can even afford to pay mid-tier players. The TV ratings and revenue they draw are literally the whole reason this is happening. UEFA tried to get greedy by adding more teams and a new format for more $$ and the big teams countered with the Super League. It’s crazy how many people don’t get it.

This is especially true for Serie A and La Liga clubs. They won't financially survive without these big clubs. No way they will kick out any of them, and if UEFA or Italian FA tries to force them to do it, they'll probably sue both organizations and go independent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I assumed people would be able to understand that I wasn't talking about the best teams outside La Liga, Serie A, EPL, and Bundesliga. Can you at least attempt to argue honestly here?

Sevilla has been in and out of European play for a long time. What makes you think they're doing anything different now?

Atalanta is a newcomer. They're a pretty small club having big success. I don't know if they'll be able to maintain it. Time will tell.
Since it wasn't the discussion I never figured you'd exclude half the teams. Then again, given your defense of the SL, it was obvious you didn't think other teams even exist, my mistake.
Sevilla has had more recent european success than most of the SL12. So.... Again...
As for Atalanta, they've been twice in the QF and on their way to qualify for next year over teams like Juve. Also were 2 minutes away from a semi final last year.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

This guy is one of the best analysts in Spain.
Some of the things he says:

- He doesn't believe this is going to end up happening and doesn't like the idea at all.
- He says it's an incredible lack of solidarity from those 12 teams to the rest of teams in Europe and that a league like this destroys the hopes of fans from all around the world to play some of the biggest teams in the world like United, Madrid or Barça in a competition like the CL.
- Believes a super-league like this is going to "kill" the big domestic leagues and is very happy to see governments, teams and fans from big teams to stand up against the idea.
- What has done Arsenal or Spurs to be over Ajax or Benfica in this league?
- He believes they will agree to some sort of middle ground solution for the CL.

All things that have already been discussed but I'm happy to see a big football personality from Spain publicly speak out against this whole thing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They can always go play for 30% of current wages with a different club if they feel that bad about it.... I won’t hold my breath....
I'm sure PSG will offer 30% of Pogba's current salary.

Or it's yet another crappy argument.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Pathetic.

A move done by the owners of clubs who want a cash cow, and in the case of a number of those teams, to remain in the spotlight at Europe's "pinnacle" to have marquee matchups and the subsequent revenue after not being good enough for that the last 7/8 years.

The unified backlash is pretty impressive actually, but will something actually result from that?

UEFA and FIFA claim confederations are all in in regards to supporting their announcement that players in the ESL clubs wont play World Cup or Euro matches for their national teams....players are speaking out about the ESL. Will that be enough? Or will they have to take a unified stance and sit out matches? Breach of contracts? Lawsuits?

So many questions right now.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

He managed to run Real into the ground financially with all the advantages they already had. It's not like they ever really missed the CL, it's not like they didn't get preferential treatment from the government, it's not like they didn't already get their own TV deal. What would make anyone think he wouldn't be able to run them into the ground in this "ESL"? The problem of someone like Florentino Perez is that he thinks Real Madrid is the vessel that turns him into a God.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Poor Flo.
He's sad he can't break the transfer record every summer like he did in his galacitcos failed experiment. No CL with that allstar team. I still love the way Giuly and the Monaco crew threw them out. What a game that was.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He managed to run Real into the ground financially with all the advantages they already had. It's not like they ever really missed the CL, it's not like they didn't get preferential treatment from the government, it's not like they didn't already get their own TV deal. What would make anyone think he wouldn't be able to run them into the ground in this "ESL"? The problem of someone like Florentino Perez is that he thinks Real Madrid is the vessel that turns him into a God.
It's the Americans' fault though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad