SuperLeague a done deal- New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Bayern and PSG won't take part.
For now.
So without the two CL finalists, I'd say this league doesn't deserve its "super" label.

That match was so fun to watch.....only fans of the "SuperLeague" teams would watch over a PSG-Bayern match.

.....if them.

Reactions: Satan

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Bayern and PSG won't take part.
For now.
So without the two CL finalists, I'd say this league doesn't deserve its "super" label.

I think the for now is the big part.

If such a league formed with the big English, Italian, and Spanish teams, it wouldn't take long for Bayern and PSG to follow suit if only for the massive TV deal.

I hope it doesn't though, national football is a good thing.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
UEFA gave these clubs most of what they wanted in the CL reform package, and now that the reforms are facing opposition in the media and from other clubs etc., this story pops up. Almost like these stories are deliberately leaked to blackmail the rest of football...

Reactions: Pouchkine

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The shame list includes :
ManU
ManCity
Liverpool
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal
Real
Barca
Atletico
Juve
Milan
Inter

Worth noting that Arsenal has zero shot at qualifying for the CL, and Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juve are all out of it as of now. 5 out of 12. No wonder they want a league they don't have to qualify for.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Worth noting that Arsenal has zero shot at qualifying for the CL, and Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juve are all out of it as of now. 5 out of 12. No wonder they want a league they don't have to qualify for.

I get they want the big branded teams, the historic champions, to fill this league out. I support Arsenal and there is nothing 'super' about watching Elneny and Ceballos as a midfield pivot. I would be embarrassed to see the club in its current state in a 'super league', let us earn the rebuild.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The shame list includes :
ManU
ManCity
Liverpool
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal
Real
Barca
Atletico
Juve
Milan
Inter

Arsenal probably have a 50% chance at CL via the Europa League. I get the point you are making, but for me a closed (no promotion/relegation) super league like this should feature the most historic and supported teams, not the current best ones. I absolutely hate the super league idea though. Ruins football really.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I get they want the big branded teams, the historic champions, to fill this league out. I support Arsenal and there is nothing 'super' about watching Elneny and Ceballos as a midfield pivot. I would be embarrassed to see the club in its current state in a 'super league', let us earn the rebuild.

Spurs and Man City are 'historic champions' of what exactly? Aston Villa and Everton both have richer histories for instance. This isn't about history, this is about the economic power structure that arose in the last 15 years thanks to foreign investor owners and massive CL/PL revenue in that time frame. It's essentially a product driven by Americans.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Arsenal and Tottenham never won CL.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Spurs and Man City are 'historic champions' of what exactly? Aston Villa and Everton both have richer histories for instance. This isn't about history, this is about the economic power structure that arose in the last 15 years thanks to foreign investor owners and massive CL/PL revenue in that time frame. It's essentially a product driven by Americans.
Yeah I know, should have been more specific and said recent history.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Ah, the bad guys aren't so bad after all.

Players will be expelled from NT too. Any FIFA competition.
So imagine spanish teams ranked 4th, 5h, 6th and 7th right now would qualify for the CL. In EPL, teams ranked 3rd, 4th, 8th and 10th (Leeds !) would make it. 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th in Serie A.

Those teams should be expelled now and federations should make a choice : either support the superleague and leave UEFA or stick to UEFA and expell those teams from their own leagues.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Arsenal probably have a 50% chance at CL via the Europa League. I get the point you are making, but for me a closed (no promotion/relegation) super league like this should feature the most historic and supported teams, not the current best ones. I absolutely hate the super league idea though. Ruins football really.
50%
Lacazette just got injured?
They have less then 25%.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It’s basically just rich teams not wanting to cement their financial advantage over others so new investors don’t upset the current economic power structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad