Pre-Game Talk: Sunday guaranteed: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Wait, wasn't the fans movement of "grit and toughness" supposed to solve this issue of fragility. Were those gritty toughness fans wrong?
Look at how big the Winnipeg Jets are-and they make no bones about playing physical against the Leafs as a key to beating them. I cringe at meeting them in the playoffs, how could we survive such a physical onslaught?

I know Dubas has added some sandpaper, but why do we have 6ft 5 inch angelic Pierre Engvail when I see Washington pluck 6ft 5 inch mean Anthony Mantha? And we have all the draft picks and prospects?

playoffs will tell, but how I wish Dubas paid more attention to the physical side! Let Sabourin play regularly and belt some opponents. If I were Mitch Marner, facing a Tom Wilson, I think I’d play better

Reactions: mrbagina

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Realistically;

what a fragile psyche our Leafs have-the utterly embarrassing power play is an anvil around their neck and affects everything. They need to fire Malhotra yesterday (regardless if it’s his fault). The media circus has to become “they are__for___” since the change. That restart button has to come first, now

and Jack Campbell’s warts are showing, players must be thinking “hmmm, he’s always been a backup?”

What a double whammy! Buckle up

Over the past five years, I've found the evolving Leafs psyche to be a very interesting and frustrating one.

They've simultaneously managed to climb new heights and show us a spectacular level of talent and possibility of winning we haven't really seen in the past 20 years but at the same time also find new and unusual ways to no-show or have a horrendously embarrassing turn out when you least expect it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Look at how big the Winnipeg Jets are-and they make no bones about playing physical against the Leafs as a key to beating them. I cringe at meeting them in the playoffs, how could we survive such a physical onslaught?

I know Dubas has added some sandpaper, but why do we have 6ft 5 inch angelic Pierre Engvail when I see Washington pluck 6ft 5 inch mean Anthony Mantha? And we have all the draft picks and prospects?

playoffs will tell, but how I wish Dubas paid more attention to the physical side! Let Sabourin play regularly and belt some opponents. If I were Mitch Marner, facing a Tom Wilson, I think I’d play better

Engvall has his ups and downs but Mantha would have been a very expensive addition and he's also very inconsistent. I think we'll like Foligno.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have they announced the start time for Sunday?

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Engvall has his ups and downs but Mantha would have been a very expensive addition and he's also very inconsistent. I think we'll like Foligno.
I agree we will like Foligno
But I still think we are too soft
Mantha is my “poster boy” for what we should have done as well
I hope I’m wrong
Our problems are bigger now as the power play woes deflate us and we now wonder anew about our goaltending

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
These two games are Matty’s chance to lock up the Rocket and send his Hart consideration flying.

I know it’s not the number one priority or anything, but a couple of big games here and the point gap closes while the goal gap opens up even more.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Have they announced the start time for Sunday?
7PM EST.

As for the rest of April

f5nzhFA.png

Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

The Jets get handidly outplayed a lot and get bailed out by Helle. Seems like their physicality actually hurts them. Thats a bad example.
Sabourin is not an NHL player. Based on your thinking, you probably loved the 2013 Leafs team. Tell me where did they end up?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Some of these players might not be recovered for months and some might have forever issues. Seems too early to me for them to be playing. I think Leafs will cut them some slack and not run up the score.

I think JT Miller talked about this in his plea to the NHL as part of the danger factor. It's an unfortunate situation for them but the professional responsibility here is still to score a touchdown on them in each of the games and move on as quickly as you can.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I agree we will like Foligno
But I still think we are too soft
Mantha is my “poster boy” for what we should have done as well
I hope I’m wrong
Our problems are bigger now as the power play woes deflate us and we now wonder anew about our goaltending
So where were you when we were rolling and dominating teams? Conveniently you show up during this bad stretch. I guess I know the intentions now.
Just looked, 5 posts from the season starting to the good play(2.5 months). 4 posts in the last couple days during the bad stretch all on we have huge problems. Hmm.

Last edited:

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I think people see what they want to see. I didn't see a tough Jets team or a soft Leaf team, I saw a team not playing great, unable to get a few saves when it mattered and a power play in the dumps. I did see a cheap headshot and a two handed slash though, so maybe that's what makes the Jets so tough to some people?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If we don't absolutely dominate this game, this team deserves all the shitting on they will get. Absolutely no excuse. Team is coming off a huge break and recovering from Covid. I honestly feel bad for the nucks players having to play, I doubt they're anywhere near 100%. Similar to how their series vs the Blues was last year actually.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think people see what they want to see. I didn't see a tough Jets team or a soft Leaf team, I saw a team not playing great, unable to get a few saves when it mattered and a power play in the dumps. I did see a cheap headshot and a two handed slash though, so maybe that's what makes the Jets so tough to some people?

We took too long to show up, that's been one of the most frustrating things about this team. They were asleep in that first period, essentially 2 breakaway goals on Campbell. need to start showing up on time.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
As far as Malhotra goes, I never did understand that hiring. He was known more for his defence. Maybe the person who hired him should be fired.
It's odd that coaches get fired all the time midseason but assistant coaches never do, they're never in the hotseat yet this one is clearly on Malhotra & the players.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
how should it competitive ?

-they haven't played in a while
-probably haven't practiced either or maybe just got one or two in before they resume there season
-many of their players were dealing with a serious illness according to reports
-hell JT Miller already has questioned why they should resume playing which is a opinion probably shared by many of his teammates

so i don't see a reason to downplay how we should blow them out just in case we don't show up
It is sport they are professionals they'll be ready.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

A lot of guys like Holl & Matthews have stepped up physically this year, along with the additions Dubas has made, I don't think physicality or defense will be a problem at all for the Leafs.

Pittsburgh has had a lot of success without being the big bad tough team, they just played the right way; that's all the Leafs have to do to win.

Another tough pickup Dubas made is Noesen, not the best fighter but he'll fight anyone if he must.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
A lot of guys like Holl & Matthews have stepped up physically this year, along with the additions Dubas has made, I don't think physicality or defense will be a problem at all for the Leafs.

Pittsburgh has had a lot of success without being the big bad tough team, they just played the right way; that's all the Leafs have to do to win.

Another tough pickup Dubas made is Noesen, not the best fighter but he'll fight anyone if he must.

I hope you are right. I see an increased move by many teams towards physicality lately (look at Montreal now, a team that used to be small; look at Washington and that move to get Mantha, look at that enormous St Louis team of a few years ago, look at how Tampa continues to beef up with Ssvsrd, Florida with Bennett.....)
The playoffs are coming where everything that moves gets hit

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I’m curious how many Nuck players had the virus. There were I think 21 on the Covid list. But that can mean have it or close contact. not questioning how bad it was for some guys. Just curious how many had it.
21 tested positive. Only Brock and JT we're spared. Horvat, Hughes, Sutter and one goalie had the worst of it.
Horvat looked like a down addicted Zombie, if was that bad I'm anxious to see Quinn since he got hit the hardest.
But no excuses Leafs struggle against the boring teams so they need to trap and clog up the middle. Hopefully, AM is out and Cambell continues to struggle to ad least make it close lol.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Well we are playing a team that doesn’t want to even play anymore, and the majority of their team has been infected with a deadly virus. So all the makings for a patented leafs meltdown. Can’t wait

pessimism aside. We absolutely have to shatter them in this game. Realistically there should be no excuses not to win big here
Every player had a choice to sit out, nobody picked that option, even Hamonic who opted out of the bubble. After you guys we have 4 straight against the Sens to get our legs and hopefully Petey is back but if we can split with you guys and at least 3 of 4 against the sens, covers our 6 games in hand and puts us 2-4 back with 13 games left each and they have much harder competition.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
As many others have already said... Seems like the perfect game for the Leafs to embarrass themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad