Transfer: Summer transfers rumors and bickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm a big fan of LM , but he's not enough to prevent them from going after Lukaku or another proven goal-scorer if Icardi's sold.

I'd be astonished if they rolled with Lautaro as the clear-cut number 1 guy next season.
I'd be astonished if they bought Lukaku with the intent of starting him. Martinez has been amazing since Icardi got exiled.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I'd be astonished if they bought Lukaku with the intent of starting him. Martinez has been amazing since Icardi got exiled.

Yeah, I dunno what to tell you. Prepare to be astonished then. They're gunna go after someone.

LM has 6 goals and is 21 years old. No big side is going to rely on that , regardless of how impressive he's been during the Icardi circus. The sample size is way too small and he's way too young. Plus Icardi's back in the side now.

If Mourinho comes back (and he's been heavily linked) , it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go after Lukaku (if he's available). Can't think of the last 5' 9" , 21 year old he's ever leaned on to be his clear-cut #9.

Every big team needs at least 2 guys , anyways.

Maybe you're getting caught up in the semantics of "Icardi replacement" , I dunno. When I said that, I meant purely in terms of replacing his goals , not his being his long term heir.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
More rumours of Liverpool being in on Memphis this summer (and N'Dombele, but that one seems more far-fetched given their spending recently). Have to say the idea of Memphis working under Klopp excites me. With van Dijk and Wijnaldum there as professional influences maybe they'll actually get him to put his head down and put the work in for a while.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
More rumours of Liverpool being in on Memphis this summer (and N'Dombele, but that one seems more far-fetched given their spending recently). Have to say the idea of Memphis working under Klopp excites me. With van Dijk and Wijnaldum there as professional influences maybe they'll actually get him to put his head down and put the work in for a while.
I’m imagining the Memphis that was at United. I know he’s grown up but that would be an absolute disaster. He refused to put in any work. If he hasn’t grown up enough that will be a waste of money and awful signing. If he is willing to work and press then it will be another Shaqiri esque signing (basically one that everyone criticized but ends up being pretty good).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sounds like Pogba and Raiola are back at it, pushing for Real. Guess the last check cleared from the United move.

If they’re smart, they can cash in on him and build a MF. But they’ll prob use the money to buy Kroos or some dumb shit.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sounds like Pogba and Raiola are back at it, pushing for Real. Guess the last check cleared from the United move.

If they’re smart, they can cash in on him and build a MF. But they’ll prob use the money to buy Kroos or some dumb ****.
You know judging from the rumored targets it sounds like OGS actually somewhat has a plan. If we sell Pogba I’d go after Rabiot to replace him in a way. I don’t know if he can play as a 6 (haven’t watched him enough but I’m pretty sure he’s more of an 8) but then I’d buy Bruno Fernandes and Ndombele and see how they do as a midfield 3.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You know judging from the rumored targets it sounds like OGS actually somewhat has a plan. If we sell Pogba I’d go after Rabiot to replace him in a way. I don’t know if he can play as a 6 (haven’t watched him enough but I’m pretty sure he’s more of an 8) but then I’d buy Bruno Fernandes and Ndombele and see how they do as a midfield 3.

I wish I could be confident, but I’m not.

They run the transfer policy like a marketing firm. It’s all about the buzz.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I’m imagining the Memphis that was at United. I know he’s grown up but that would be an absolute disaster. He refused to put in any work. If he hasn’t grown up enough that will be a waste of money and awful signing. If he is willing to work and press then it will be another Shaqiri esque signing (basically one that everyone criticized but ends up being pretty good).
He can't stay at Lyon. Fans are booing him every time he gets on the pitch now.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He can't stay at Lyon. Fans are booing him every time he gets on the pitch now.
I knew something like that was happening but wasn’t quite sure exactly what it was. Is it his workrate or his dumb comments about how he should be the best?
I wish I could be confident, but I’m not.

They run the transfer policy like a marketing firm. It’s all about the buzz.
Honestly I agree. It’s like they have 3-4 targets in mind then go play FIFA and see which one is highest rated. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 transfers that weren’t about the buzz and that’s Herrera and Darmian. There’s probably more but that’s just off the top of my head.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I knew something like that was happening but wasn’t quite sure exactly what it was. Is it his workrate or his dumb comments about how he should be the best?
Both. Since his comments, he's been absolutely desastrous. Does nothing on the pitch. He's at best a passenger, at worst he hogs the ball and loses it because he doesn't understand he's not Messi.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ehh...I don't think Shaqiri was a good signing. He's mostly proven what I thought he would; that he can't handle this level and that he's not good enough. He was opportunistic though I'll give him that. I don't think Memphis could be worse, but Liverpool have also been pretty close to the chest about their signings of late so I feel like if it's in the media already it probably isn't true.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Memphis has been world class for Oranje. He should leave to a team which knows how to play him, though he is a hard case to crack at times and very inconsistent.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Every time I see him I think about how his father in law is Steve Harvey, and I can’t decide which one of them is a bigger dickhead.

(My wife watches tons of family feud with Steve Harvey. Brutal)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Shaqiri started well, but he's only played twice in the last 2 months and both were sub appearances and he also hasn't scored since Christmas.
Ehh...I don't think Shaqiri was a good signing. He's mostly proven what I thought he would; that he can't handle this level and that he's not good enough. He was opportunistic though I'll give him that. I don't think Memphis could be worse, but Liverpool have also been pretty close to the chest about their signings of late so I feel like if it's in the media already it probably isn't true.
Haven’t been paying that close of attention to Shaqiri. Thought his play was still really good (like the start of the year). I meant in terms of the Memphis signing that if everything goes right then he will be a great player off the bench that can change the game. I do think Liverpool need cover for Salah and I don’t know if Memphis can be that guy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ah, Depay should go to a team that knows how to play him.
Meaning let him do anything he wants with the ball and never covering in defense.
That way he's happy.

Well United and Lyon clearly didn't know.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not like Memphis has been horrible for Lyon since he's been there. He's been one of the most productive players in the league since his introduction.

Haven’t been paying that close of attention to Shaqiri. Thought his play was still really good (like the start of the year). I meant in terms of the Memphis signing that if everything goes right then he will be a great player off the bench that can change the game. I do think Liverpool need cover for Salah and I don’t know if Memphis can be that guy.
Even at the start of the year Shaqiri wasn't playing super well tbh outside of his goals/assists. Loses the ball really easily, his link up play leaves a lot to be desired and his defensive game is obviously non-existent. He doesn't bring the same speed and directness that Salah/Mane have so he's a lot easier to defend as a whole and relies a lot on others creating a lot of space for him. He benefited a lot situationally; I really don't think his production was ever sustainable based on his overall play.

I agree that Memphis is not the guy to cover for Salah/Mane but I've been hoping for them to sign a player that can do that since last year. I'm more encouraged by the links to Bergwijn in this sense...hopefully they do get a like for like rotational option for those two (I like Bergwijn and Ismaila Sarr, but anyone with a similar skillset would be fine).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If you think Depay sits on the bench you're crazy. He'll tell you he's better than everyone anyway.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If you think Depay sits on the bench you're crazy. He'll tell you he's better than everyone anyway.
Do you think he would even if there are players that are clearly better? At United and Lyon there’s no clear better players at his position. At Liverpool there’s 3 that have a much higher pedigree than him.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Do you think he would even if there are players that are clearly better? At United and Lyon there’s no clear better players at his position. At Liverpool there’s 3 that have a much higher pedigree than him.

A rational view of his abilities and the desire to put in effort to make the first team are not exactly things Depay has been known for.

Reactions: Gecklund and Evilo

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the only way it occurs is if Klopp had some discussions about him understanding his role if he got here.

I don't think he fits what Klopp is trying to do, and I think if anything, it's his agent trying to drum up some interest for a move. But we shall see.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Even a Depay in this current form has nearly created the most opportunities for his teammates out of all players in the big 5 leagues. Only Payet and James Rodriguez beat him at that.

He is money for Oranje in every way, shape or form; fights, plays defense, is a leader, scores and assists. Not sure he can keep that up, but it's damn impressive, just like his second half with Lyon was in 2017/2018. Which makes it that much more frustrating; he can really be world class and among the best in the world at his position, but he just falls of a cliff at times. Which isn't all that bad, it's the way he handles his bad periods, by not looking in the mirror but blaming others. He still has a lot to learn there, but at 25 I doubt if he will ever reach his maximum potential - though his Oranje period lately is again promising.

The dude has an arrogant swag surrounding him, but he's a good guy. He can choose his words a bit more carefully during interviews (such as wanting more respect, which he always preaches), but most are blown way out of proportions in French.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think you realize how highly he thinks of himself.
And sometimes, he can show flashes of being better than Salah or Mane. Without ever putting the defensive work though, that's a given. But he doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad