Transfer: Summer Transfer Window Rumors part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's more of a guarantee that you get 3-4 really good years than a player who isn't even really good yet. Koulibaly is really good right now. There's no projection involved in him becoming really good, which is often what you have to do when signing a player for a comparable price thats under 25.
I'm not arguing that paying massive on an unproven player is better, just that it's not a guarantee that KK will be really good for 3-4 more years. Plenty of players see a noticable drop when they turn 30. While plenty remain high quality, you also have some like Bonucci who have a noticeable drop off compared to how they were viewed in their late 20s.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean, most defenders as good as Koulibaly are still very good into their early 30s. It's a position that typically has a later peak and prime because of its reactive and experience driven nature. I don't see a massive drop off for him any time soon outside of a big injury; if a team has the money to spend there's not many players out there that they could spend it better on for what he brings. I'm glad City isn't getting him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Spending Van Dijk money on him is what the silly part would be. Something more in the 50s is what I think would be a better deal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
English tax...

Chilwell isn't twice as good as Tagliafico or Telles or Cucurella or any of the other major 30M LBs on the market. It's the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Peen

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ozil's agent confirmed he won't be leaving this summer or year. I wonder if he will be able to fight his way into some minutes...
Like I said, no way is he taking a pay cut. He'll sit in the stands or go golf and collect that money. If Arsenal want him to go, they're going to have to pay him to do so. It's his right.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The 2 big young guns for the Albion are staying put till 2024. Ben White also recently rented a place near the training ground so it looks like he won't be going to Leeds or sold in general.

Emerging Albion duo agree new deals
Ben White was definitely a LFC target but we ran out of money. LFC can’t justify that price tag for a back up in this economy. I suspect they will be keeping an eye on hi if he stays at Brighton though. Really good player. Hopefully Agent Lallana can do a job.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Some whispers that LFC have been looking at Real Betis CB Aissa Mandi to replace Lovren as 4th CB (10m € value reported, so basically a wash with Mandi probably on less wages). Do any of the La Liga folks know anything about him?

@les Habs @Duchene2MacKinnon @Power Man

LFC don’t necessarily need a star at CB but if Mandi can do a Ragnar Klavan impersonation I would be happy with that. Interesting that it’s a guy they could lose to AFCON though.
He can play LB, so that helps covering two positions.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, most defenders as good as Koulibaly are still very good into their early 30s. It's a position that typically has a later peak and prime because of its reactive and experience driven nature. I don't see a massive drop off for him any time soon outside of a big injury; if a team has the money to spend there's not many players out there that they could spend it better on for what he brings. I'm glad City isn't getting him.
I mean it’s all relative to the player. Koulibaly while still a smart defender relies a lot of his physical gifts. So once those go he’s going to deteriorate quickly and around age 30 is when that starts to happen. Just depends though, he could age well physically and it couldn’t be an issue or he can adjust and still be very good.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's definitely done the job. With CL next year though the quality of Jimenez would be a great add for y'all. I read he has one of the best returns in terms of winning goals across the top 5 leagues.
I thin Jimenez is definitely an upgrade on Ighalo so if we can get him in addition to Sancho, Torres; and a DM great but if buying him stops us from getting any of those 3, then it’s a waste of money.

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I thin Jimenez is definitely an upgrade on Ighalo so if we can get him in addition to Sancho, Torres; and a DM great but if buying him stops us from getting any of those 3, then it’s a waste of money.

Plus if Sancho is purchased you've got one of Martial/Rashford/Greenwood as depth too (more likely it'd be a quasi-rotation between the four of them with Sancho getting almost every start and the others getting just over 2/3 and doing sub work)

Not that Jimenez is bad or anything, but it's the type of buy you make if you really think you're competing for a league or CL title, not the type you make while you still have holes in the starting XI to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad