Transfer: Summer Transfer Window Rumors part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Fernandinho is shorter and he was forced to play as CB in quite a few matches. At 35, I don't think he can be expected to continue doing that long term. So Ake can be seen to replace those games as well.
If this is the only purchase at CB then its abysmal. Otamendi, Fernandinho and maybe Garcia all need to be replacement.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not going to outright bury him, but everyone said all the exact same stuff about John Stones. This is not a good transfer. He cost far too much for someone so poor in the air, and I find the idea of him starting at Man City to be absolutely ridiculous. He was a central defender in a team that shipped 65 goals. I'm glad they signed him though, good for them.
Well Sam Lee says that City was always going for 2 CB's this window and Koulibaly is still a priority. Ake being the 3rd string for City is a monumental upgrade to what they currently have.

Reactions: gary69

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fernandinho is shorter and he was forced to play as CB in quite a few matches. At 35, I don't think he can be expected to continue doing that long term. So Ake can be seen to replace those games as well.
I don’t think Ake is much taller than Fernandinho if at all, and he might be worse in the air.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think Ake is much taller than Fernandinho if at all, and he might be worse in the air.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ake is a solid signing, especially if they ever decide to move on from Stones and get a sum of percentage back from his transfer.

Also, I am thinking that Ozil's agent could potentially be a PR move. Now don't get me wrong that nobody here would be surprised if he wants to stay, but it also might be a façade to try and get his entire contract plus a move out. I mean Arsenal is doing a great job at making him as forgettable as possible and maybe he'll eventual get unsettled which is their job. Or maybe he's given up in being a football, but IMO that will show how much passion he had for it.

Lastly, if Coutinho is coming to Arsenal he'll be a #10 to replace Ozil and not a winger until Arteta has tried all his luck with him as a number ten first.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Lille have signed 20-year old central defender Sven Botman from Ajax for €8m. Never played a single minute for Ajax so that seems like an excellent deal for them.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Agreed. I wish the club would do the sensible thing and just give Guendouzi another chance or sell him and purchase Szoboszlai.
Ozil at Arsenal seems like a Gareth Bale at Real situation where both players are just happy running down their contracts and cash in those nice juicy paychecks. They do not have any pride anymore and are just thinking about retirement.

Reactions: Cassano

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lille have signed 20-year old central defender Sven Botman from Ajax for €8m. Never played a single minute for Ajax so that seems like an excellent deal for them.
Most likely not (for Ajax you meant).
Best scout in the business sets an eye on a player there's a good chance he's worth more than 8M€ in a couple of years (maybe less).

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I am not a fan of Botman. I cursed at him while watching him play in the Youth League. I expected him to be cut a year ago, but he has surprised me a lot playing for Heerenveen on loan this past season. Matured and developed lots.

In fact among CB’s this past season:
  • Won most duals (Eredivisie)
  • Won most aerial battles (Eredivisie)
  • 4th in most passes (Eredivisie)
  • 4th in pass accuracy (Eredivisie)
  • 2nd in most passes forward (Europe - outside top 5 competitions)
  • 2nd in duals won (including aerial) (Europe - outside top 5 competitions)
Not to mention he has size (1.93m); he scored two goals and added in 4 assists and also became Heerenveen’s alternate captain as a 20 year old loanie. It’s no wonder Ajax demanded a sell on clause.

Here’s an English written scouting report which describes him well, albeit a bit enthusiastic.
www.fieldinsider.com/sven-botman/

All that said, I think he’s a decent CB (prospect) but Lille might be his ceiling. Though he has surprised me before as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad