Transfer: Summer Transfer Window Rumors part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why wouldn’t you sign Koulibaly?
Don’t think it’s good value at his age. Think he’s already played his best part of his prime. I mean sure City is one of the only teams in the world can spunk Virgil money on a CB hoping for a good season or two and not caring about the rest but I’d look for a younger CB in their shoes. They lose Koulibaly for AFCON as way.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ozil's agent confirmed he won't be leaving this summer or year. I wonder if he will be able to fight his way into some minutes...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ake is great and a great pickup, the only thing is that he's left footed like Laporte and typically plays on the left side. Koulibaly would be a better buy but obviously it sounds like that's not happening.

That said he is flexible and I always thought he'd make a great DM.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder how he'll be going from a bottom-feeder to a title-contender. It's a completely different beast when your team is expected to lose, where every mistake won't be scrutinized, where now, every mistake will be blown up. He's 25 too, so they didn't get a deal IMO.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Ake is great and a great pickup, the only thing is that he's left footed like Laporte and typically plays on the left side. Koulibaly would be a better buy but obviously it sounds like that's not happening.

They'll need him to back up LB too since Mendy can never stay healthy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I believe Koulibaly plays on the left side as well, but I could be mistaken on that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They'll need him to back up LB too since Mendy can never stay healthy.
Angelino back from loan. Ake hasn’t played left back in years. I wouldn’t count on him playing heavy minutes at that position. Despite being useless in the air, Ake is a pure CB now until evidence shows otherwise.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Angelino back from loan. Ake hasn’t played left back in years. I wouldn’t count on him playing heavy minutes at that position. Despite being useless in the air, Ake is a pure CB now until evidence shows otherwise.
It makes sense Ake is clearly a Pep type of defenseman. He can play with the ball at his feet and he has a great passing range.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Liverpool already has a title-worthy squad, United and Chelsea don't. United are among the elite of the elite in terms of revenue, it's them Real and Barca, depending on the year, you might include Bayern. While Chelsea has a rich owner, it's more to do with the transfer ban, and a significant amount of revenue created from recent sales and loans.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Liverpool already has a title-worthy squad, United and Chelsea don't. United are among the elite of the elite in terms of revenue, it's them Real and Barca, depending on the year, you might include Bayern. While Chelsea has a rich owner, it's more to do with the transfer ban, and a significant amount of revenue created from recent sales and loans.
Yea that article lightly touches on why Chelsea has so much to spend like we've been saying in this forum for quite a while. Transfer embargo has limited buys, years of selling for high amounts, and loan fees.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea that article lightly touches on why Chelsea has so much to spend like we've been saying in this forum for quite a while. Transfer embargo has limited buys, years of selling for high amounts, and loan fees.
And Liverpool's situation isn't unique to Liverpool. There are only going to be a handful of clubs spending significant money, whether it be the revenue powerhouses like United, clubs that already had a war chest like Chelsea, or clubs with other means like City. You also see clubs that are going to do moves that are heavy with future payments, which are going to be very risky. Clubs that already have a squad that can legitimately win, probably won't be very active. Clubs that don't want to take on a ton of risk, probably won't be very active.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And Liverpool's situation isn't unique to Liverpool. There are only going to be a handful of clubs spending significant money, whether it be the revenue powerhouses like United, clubs that already had a war chest like Chelsea, or clubs with other means like City. You also see clubs that are going to do moves that are heavy with future payments, which are going to be very risky. Clubs that already have a squad that can legitimately win, probably won't be very active. Clubs that don't want to take on a ton of risk, probably won't be very active.
We're also seeing clubs that are looking to sell a lot in a tough market because they need to shed expenses.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some whispers that LFC have been looking at Real Betis CB Aissa Mandi to replace Lovren as 4th CB (10m € value reported, so basically a wash with Mandi probably on less wages). Do any of the La Liga folks know anything about him?

@les Habs @Duchene2MacKinnon @Power Man

LFC don’t necessarily need a star at CB but if Mandi can do a Ragnar Klavan impersonation I would be happy with that. Interesting that it’s a guy they could lose to AFCON though.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know why it matters that Koulibaly is 29. If you can get 3-4 really good years out of a player, they are worth their price tag. They don't need to be under 25 to satisfy what you paid for them. You might not be able to get any resale value on a 29 year old, but how often does City ever care about that?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know why it matters that Koulibaly is 29. If you can get 3-4 really good years out of a player, they are worth their price tag. They don't need to be under 25 to satisfy what you paid for them. You might not be able to get any resale value on a 29 year old, but how often does City ever care about that?
It's no guarantee that you'd get 3-4 really good years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's no guarantee that you'd get 3-4 really good years.

It's more of a guarantee that you get 3-4 really good years than a player who isn't even really good yet. Koulibaly is really good right now. There's no projection involved in him becoming really good, which is often what you have to do when signing a player for a comparable price thats under 25.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He will be good for 2 and serviceable for the rest I would say. With how bad the City back line was at times I think it would have been a worthwhile purchase.
For a club with more or less limitless means, I'd agree. For anyone that has any sort of budget, even a large budget, it's something to think about. I wouldn't spend absurd money for KK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad