Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is it though? Did anyone really believe that VVD was going to be that good? I don’t understand people saying that he shouldn’t be backed when the same exact people were saying that they needed to back a clearly past it Mou. The double standard for United is absolutely incredible. They can’t do anything right and they haven’t even officially signed the guy.
Most people considered van Dijk a top defender in the league before his move to Liverpool, yes.

Personally I love current United.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Regarding van Dijk, I think pretty much everyone knew he was a top defender or would get there soon (top 3-5 in the pl) but that’s different than what he was last season.

Last year was player of the year caliber and perhaps the best defender in Europe.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The VVD comparison falls short in a number of ways, but I would be even more concerned when you consider it’s Edwards and Klopp compared with OGS and Woodward

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is one of the most ridiculous transfer in football history. Easily.
You can thank your boy Neymar and the team of France in PSG with their blood money result in some of these crazy fees. Like that Maguire one is hilarious to see, 80m pounds and that's still 40 million over priced for someone of his qualities. United is pretty much paying 50% extra just because he's an English EPL player and teams have TV money.

Also Emery is a proven winner Evilo. Yeah I get it that he decided to turn into Blanc and lose in the CL. Yeah the Europa is a useless tournament for majority of the rounds, but the final four are normally always very strong teams thanks to the relegation from the CL. To make an excuse that he sucks when he won the Europa three years in a row....is not only wrong, but odd.

Meh, it probably still gets done. I haven't see any team around Arsenal's status close in wanting him so why not get him as cheap as possible...even if it takes some time.

Reactions: Jussi

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I do find it weird that The Sun, The Express and a bunch of tabloids were the only ones reporting the Maguire deal and the NBC Sports did. I would assume NBC Sports definitely has sources but Simon Stone has said that no bid for Maguire has been sent. So I’m not entirely sure what to believe. I hope to f*** it ain’t true though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Emery has his faults but isn't bad. For example he still has a better record with PSG than Tuchel, and Tuchel didn't have super Monaco or Barca to compete with (United :laugh:).

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Only homers would say it’s not an overpayment.

It might be where the market is, but it’s an overpayment for a decent player.

You can’t completely argue it until the clauses are shown, but it’s stupid money.

What is homers?

I agree that I wanna see the final transfer fee before making a judgement.

Also want to see Maguire play 1/4 of the season before I give a verdict.

He is capable of playing the ball out of the back as a centre back, who is strong and can tackle.

What’s the worst that could happen? Everyone is laughing at United now anyway. Maybe Maguire proves is worth. Let’s see.

Reactions: cujo1117

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I do find it weird that The Sun, The Express and a bunch of tabloids were the only ones reporting the Maguire deal and the NBC Sports did. I would assume NBC Sports definitely has sources but Simon Stone has said that no bid for Maguire has been sent. So I’m not entirely sure what to believe. I hope to **** it ain’t true though.

Duncan Castles mentioned in the podcast about the 60+20 deal. I think he also mentioned a day earlier that United had upped their bid.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Duncan Castles mentioned in the podcast about the 60+20 deal. I think he also mentioned a day earlier that United had upped their bid.

He’s not that reliable. He was a bit of a mouthpiece for Mou but that’s about it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What is homers?

I agree that I wanna see the final transfer fee before making a judgement.

Also want to see Maguire play 1/4 of the season before I give a verdict.

He is capable of playing the ball out of the back as a centre back, who is strong and can tackle.

What’s the worst that could happen? Everyone is laughing at United now anyway. Maybe Maguire proves is worth. Let’s see.

That we’re basically throwing 100 mil down the drain. That we’re spending 100mil on a center back that’s slightly above average when we could’ve gotten a better one in Koulibaly(who’s probably top 5 in the world) for ~10 extra mil. Or we could’ve bought Anderson from Sampdoria for 35mil or whatever Lyon just paid for someone who has a much higher ceiling than Maguire.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The worst that could happen is that you bought him and he wound up like Sanchez where you could never get rid of him no matter how hard you tried. Another bad scenario is that he doesn't help the club and has to be replaced, but they've already blown a huge wad on him and the Glazers don't want to spend more. The latter is always a potential outcome.

So yes, it could actually turn out very badly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You can thank your boy Neymar and the team of France in PSG with their blood money result in some of these crazy fees. Like that Maguire one is hilarious to see, 80m pounds and that's still 40 million over priced for someone of his qualities. United is pretty much paying 50% extra just because he's an English EPL player and teams have TV money.

Also Emery is a proven winner Evilo. Yeah I get it that he decided to turn into Blanc and lose in the CL. Yeah the Europa is a useless tournament for majority of the rounds, but the final four are normally always very strong teams thanks to the relegation from the CL. To make an excuse that he sucks when he won the Europa three years in a row....is not only wrong, but odd.

Meh, it probably still gets done. I haven't see any team around Arsenal's status close in wanting him so why not get him as cheap as possible...even if it takes some time.
It's so sad.
United and Chelsea started overpaying way before PSG.
Neymar wasn't a transfer, it was a release clause.
Emery is a winner, only in the EL. You get what you deserve.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Alderweireld to Roma is heating up. Really did not expect him to take a step down. And are they really offering more money than Spurs already have done?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not a bad place to live. If he can get a 4 year contract or something I could see why that would be interesting to him.

My guess there is a bit of loss of face going on. From both sides.

What surprises me is the lack of CDs linked to Spurs except for Saliba. What happens if Alderweireld leaves and Vertonghen gets injured? I'm sure in Pochettino's head Dier plays CD, but Sanchez - Dier is not something I'm looking forward to see.

Then again I would be willing to pay something for Zaniolo coming the other way. But then I would have brought in someone more experienced than Saliba to replace Alderweireld. Not sure who that would be at this point.

Certainly interesting days. Spurs would be ridiculously "loaded" with new young talents if Zaniolo and Saliba came in. And maybe it is time to get a bit younger again.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tuttosport reporting that Torino have rejected a 60M offer from West Ham for Belotti and L’equipe reporting that Betis, Valencia and Sevilla are all heavily pursuing Fekir.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Bouhafsi reports that Arsenal have matched Spurs offer for Saliba. Think he'll be going there to be honest.

Have a swing at Kamara instead Levy.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It depends. Saliba would know that Alderweireld will most likely be gone (if not now so next year). Vertonghen is old. The path is clear for a young guy to establish himself at Spurs. And far from a given that Sanchez will be good enough as well. I hope so and I believe so, but he still got a way to go.

And even if it is not supposed to work this way why would Spurs bother unless they had gotten some indications that he would be interested? My guess is that he will end up at Spurs, but obviously not certain it will happen.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bouhafsi reports that Arsenal have matched Spurs offer for Saliba. Think he'll be going there to be honest.

Have a swing at Kamara instead Levy.
Yep right now I'd abuse OM's financial situation. Kamara, Lopez can be had for peanuts (relatively).

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

Because tierney has not requested a transfer and he has 4 years left on his contract. Celtic apparently want 25 up front and addons. Arsenal bidding pennies are going to see them lose out on Tierney if they really want him. Pretty much every premier club can afford 25m these days. If u wanted Tierney cheap, this is the summer to do it, since he was injured for large portions of last season and he needed hernia surgery this summer.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It depends. Saliba would know that Alderweireld will most likely be gone (if not now so next year). Vertonghen is old. The path is clear for a young guy to establish himself at Spurs. And far from a given that Sanchez will be good enough as well. I hope so and I believe so, but he still got a way to go.

And even if it is not supposed to work this way why would Spurs bother unless they had gotten some indications that he would be interested? My guess is that he will end up at Spurs, but obviously not certain it will happen.

The player wants to be loaned back to ASSE. And the path is more clear at Arsenal.

Yep right now I'd abuse OM's financial situation. Kamara, Lopez can be had for peanuts (relatively).

Has any team been linked to these players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad