Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The S*n claim United and Leicester have agreed on a £80 million transfer fee for Harry Maguire.

Duncan Castles says it's £60m + £20m with clauses fulfilled.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Hilarious to see the likes of Harry McGuire going for more money than van Dijk and De Ligt.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
if united were going to splash the cash on an englishman, ud think theyd try to sign sancho. higher end talent at a more premium position to spend money and can play a position that united have been poor at for years.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
if united were going to splash the cash on an englishman, ud think theyd try to sign sancho. higher end talent at a more premium position to spend money and can play a position that united have been poor at for years.
He didn’t want to come without CL.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don´t know much it is down to him being English. I saw a list of teams maxing out the non home grown quota and among the top teams most did. Funnily enough I think Utd are furthest from it.

Zaniolo rumours heating up. Can´t help thinking it is a way to put pressure on Betis or maybe even Ceballos. I don´t know him that well, but even if he might not be slow he isn´t a guy that could challenge players one on one like Lucas and too some extent Son. A type of player Spurs haven´t got enough of.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not going to defend that fee. It is ridiculous, but van Dijk would have gone for a lot more if teams thought he was going to be this good. De Ligt is young and the fee seems to be part of a gentleman’s agreement with Ajax.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just an absolute facepalm transfer.

He’s not a bad defender, but for that money you need to get a world class guy and Maguire just isn’t that nor does he reasonably have potential to improve much from what he is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro and I Eat Crow

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Basically yes. Maguire is a solid Dman, but like you see everywhere.
When you an get a young guy with WC potential for half the price, it's crazy.
Even for a Koulibaly or someone established. It won't cost you much more than that.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Leicester have just been killing it on the transfer market buying talented players for cheap and holding on to sell at these ridiculous prices.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
While I agree it’s an absolutely insane price, United have the money and Maguire is clearly an upgrade. Honestly if they can just get Bruno Fernandes and maybe sell off a little of their dead weight then this would be a very good window. Yes they are still missing a RW and DM but you can’t fill every position in one window. Filling 3 in the starting 11 though is huge.

Reactions: Jussi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Maguire plays the game as if he is Franz Beckenbauer. I think that is something OGS is looking for. Unfortunately he is paying for him being Beckenbauer as well.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
But you can get more of an upgrade with this money. That's the point. Maguire is decent and better than what they have (barely). But with 100M you can buy a lot of players.
Definitely not barely. Maguire is a huge step up on everyone but Lindelof. Also yes you can get an upgrade but we’ve seen highly rated D fail in the PL so we are getting someone proven. Now I agree I would have rather gotten De Ligt, Koulibaly, even Ruben Dias but Maguire is a huge upgrade still. Yes huge price and we could have had a bigger upgrade but what are you going to do? OGS identified him early on as a top target. This is United backing their manager. Yes very slowly but I think we bring in Bruno still and then get top 4 and add a DM and a RW next summer.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I like Maguire and he's an immediate improvement over what we've got, but my god I think he's worth a little more than half of that fee. Sign Bruno Fernandes and I'll be fine.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Definitely not barely. Maguire is a huge step up on everyone but Lindelof. Also yes you can get an upgrade but we’ve seen highly rated D fail in the PL so we are getting someone proven. Now I agree I would have rather gotten De Ligt, Koulibaly, even Ruben Dias but Maguire is a huge upgrade still. Yes huge price and we could have had a bigger upgrade but what are you going to do? OGS identified him early on as a top target. This is United backing their manager. Yes very slowly but I think we bring in Bruno still and then get top 4 and add a DM and a RW next summer.
That is United making a fool of themselves on the transfer market like they always do.
When was the last time they made a good transfer?
When you can get Koulibaly for about that price, why would you sign Maguire?

And yes, I'm not even sure he's better than Lindelof, which was my point.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That is United making a fool of themselves on the transfer market like they always do.
When was the last time they made a good transfer?
When you can get Koulibaly for about that price, why would you sign Maguire?

And yes, I'm not even sure he's better than Lindelof, which was my point.
I would think that AWB is a good transfer also Fred at the time. Also why doesn’t everyone wait to see the price? AWB was supposed to be like 15M more than he was according to the media.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Last 10 United transfers :
10- Maguire 100M or so. Insane.
9- AWB, 55MF M, which is double his price.
8- James 17M. Expensive, but let's give this one some time.
7- Fred, 60M, he sucks.
6- Dalot, 22M, they're now trying to dump him.
5- Grant, 1.7, at least it's cheap.
4- Lukaku, 85M, LOL.
3- Matic, 45M, he's done.
2- Lindelof, 35M, last good investment.
1- Alexis Sanchez, Mkh+fat contract, LOL.

That's absolutely terrible.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Last 10 United transfers :
10- Maguire 100M or so. Insane. (55-60+20-25 in add ons)
9- AWB, 55MF M, which is double his price. (One of the best young RBs in the game)
8- James 17M. Expensive, but let's give this one some time. (Agree on the time)
7- Fred, 60M, he sucks. (Looked fine to end the year)
6- Dalot, 22M, they're now trying to dump him. (No they are not trying to dump him you’re just wrong here)
5- Grant, 1.7, at least it's cheap. (Allowed then to send both Pereira and Henderson out on loan and give them a solid 3)
4- Lukaku, 85M, LOL. (One of the better strikers in the PL when they needed one)
3- Matic, 45M, he's done. (One of the better DM in the PL when they needed one)
2- Lindelof, 35M, last good investment.
1- Alexis Sanchez, Mkh+fat contract, LOL. (Both of these seen as good transfers at the time)

That's absolutely terrible.
Kind of funny how every single one of these at the time (except Grant) were seen as good transfers. Revisionist history I guess. Also in case you miss it, there’s notes in the quote. It’s insane how United just get shit on. They buy superstars to fix their club. They are crutches and band aids so they switch to buying PL proven players that are young (which everyone wanted them to do) and are still getting shit on. Yes it’s expensive but everyone knows United are desperate. Prices are going to increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad