Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is it though? Did anyone really believe that VVD was going to be that good? I don’t understand people saying that he shouldn’t be backed when the same exact people were saying that they needed to back a clearly past it Mou. The double standard for United is absolutely incredible. They can’t do anything right and they haven’t even officially signed the guy.

I have some posts saved from that summer. I sure as hell thought he would be that good because he was already one of the best players in the league. I also said that failing that signing they should sign Koulibaly, and now we're talking about Koulibaly still being at Napoli, which is rather incredible.

Some players I've had serious misgivings over signing in the last few years would be Alisson and Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'll admit it too, when I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Also, I never said they should back Mou. I said they should sack him almost immediately after that miracle finish because it was a fluke. There's no double standard from me anyway, they should sack Ed Woodward too as he's the major problem.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have some posts saved from that summer. I sure as hell thought he would be that good because he was already one of the best players in the league. I also said that failing that signing they should sign Koulibaly, and now we're talking about Koulibaly still being at Napoli, which is rather incredible.

Also, I never said they should back Mou. I said they should sack him almost immediately after that miracle finish because it was a fluke. There's no double standard from me anyway, they should sack Ed Woodward too as he's the major problem.
It wasn’t directed at you just in general. I quoted your post for the VVD stuff. The thing is there definitely are better players out there and they definitely did overpay (for Maguire). There’s no denying either of those. United need to back Ole and they have for the most part this summer. Maguire is a great PL CB. Their goal this summer should be top 4 with Chelsea and Arsenal not having any reinforcements coming in. With the additions of AWB, Maguire, and hopefully Bruno they filled multiple positions that they needed to. Both Maguire and Lindelof are players that should be the number 2 but I doubt top quality CBs want to come to a team without CL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It wasn’t directed at you just in general. I quoted your post for the VVD stuff. The thing is there definitely are better players out there and they definitely did overpay (for Maguire). There’s no denying either of those. United need to back Ole and they have for the most part this summer. Maguire is a great PL CB. Their goal this summer should be top 4 with Chelsea and Arsenal not having any reinforcements coming in. With the additions of AWB, Maguire, and hopefully Bruno they filled multiple positions that they needed to. Both Maguire and Lindelof are players that should be the number 2 but I doubt top quality CBs want to come to a team without CL.

That's why I (or I think a real football man that isn't Woodward) would have tapped up Diop, Badiashile, or Konate, someone with a genuinely commanding presence. Ake if you want to go older. Anyway, too late now.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not a fan of the Diallo transfer from Dortmund's perspective either. And yeah, Diallo moving from behind Hummels and Zagadou possibly to a similarly crowded PSG CB group is odd, but I suppose it could be explained with coaching differences. Perhaps Diallo didn't impress enough at LB, and Hummels and Zagadou certainly aren't mobile enough to play there either. I doubt Favre would stray far from a 4 man back line.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's not where the market is. Diallo is moving the same day for 35M€. Not even half Maguire's fee.
Oh I agree that there’s better options. But I also understand the English, club that doesn’t have to sell, rivals want him, no CL might lead to some (though slightly stretched) argument that it’s where the market is.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Woodward pays the bills so he’ll stick around.

I guess there’s a good chance United might plug another 250 million down the hole and still be in the Europa next season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not a fan of the Diallo transfer from Dortmund's perspective either. And yeah, Diallo moving from behind Hummels and Zagadou possibly to a similarly crowded PSG CB group is odd, but I suppose it could be explained with coaching differences. Perhaps Diallo didn't impress enough at LB, and Hummels and Zagadou certainly aren't mobile enough to play there either. I doubt Favre would stray far from a 4 man back line.
Is Belardi going out on loan?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What a joke Arsenal have become...I mean we've always been a bit of a weak bunch when it comes to closing transfers, in the Kroenke era (and even before...Wenger's list of "almost Gunners" is painful to read"). But we've taken things to a new level now. At least under the guidance of Peter Hill-Wood and David Dein (sketch as he was), we were respected at the negotiation table. Now we are being pushed aside by the likes of Celtic and St-Etienne with gobs of rejected bids for players who wouldn't or are not ready to get a sniff at clubs we used to consider our competition. You can be assured that our first "offers" for the likes of Tierney and Saliba were completely derisory and when informed of what it would take, we've been countering with typical Arsenal low-ball offers. Meanwhile Spurs and other clubs circle above like vultures ready to buy these same players. While I don't think Spurs are some great quality ahead of Arsenal right now - just look how they went about getting Ndombele this summer, a player much more ready and expensive and at a much bigger club than Saliba...they are interested, they put in a respectable offer, they have the player.

The only saving grace for Arsenal right now is some of their classic competition aren't exactly covering themselves in glory lately either. United are squandering fortunes (still...they are better), Chelsea are entering their transfer ban and lost their talisman (and I think much of their "loan" brigade they are counting on to save them is overrated) and besides Ndombele, Spurs haven't done much and could still have some stars the subject of bids from the giants yet this summer. Meanwhile, even our backroom talent-identifying staff has been a shambles lately and although Edu is a Gunner though-and-through, I'm not sure he's got the power to be anything more than a "yes" man. I guess if he brings in some

I thought Emery had some good moments last year (Spurs game probably being the high point) but the way he failed so hard and so epic-ly when it mattered at the end, combined with one of the oldest squads in the league combined with Arsenal always folding like cheap suits when there is pressure combined with complete ineptness in the transfer market has me prepared for the 19-20 season to be a true low point in the contemporary era of this club. I'm sure not much can change when Kroenke is holding the lock on the coffers but I wonder if we wouldn't be better off trying to rid ourselves of basically every first teamer pushing past their prime and sinking this entire stinking ship - then rebuilding with what looks to be a very promising crop of youth players. I'm not completely dead on Emery yet but I just wonder if in the long-run, if given patience and a young squad, if somebody like Arteta might have been (and still might be) a more progressive choice for this project.

It's really just sad, I can't even say I've got much interest in things at the moment, maybe it makes me a poor or spoiled fan but it's just the same crap every day. A sick part of me hopes Spurs do get Saliba (although I feel their interest could be a complete ruse) except we don't ever learn so there's no point.

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Imagine spending approx double Arsenal's supposed transfer budget for the summer on Harry Maguire. I know we're long passed the days when 35M could buy you a world class player in their prime, but justifying 60-80M for an average player is crazy.

Reactions: S E P H

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You're wrong, period. I guess we should have bought a bunch of Brexit lads instead of the players we got for huge money. Would have won two CL's with that kind of British fighting spirit.

United need a rebuild, period. Starting it with 3-4 players in one window is a good start. It's better to get the players you can get now and wait for Koulibaly, if there's still interest (was there even ever on his part?).

Reactions: cujo1117

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
United need a rebuild, period. Starting it with 3-4 players in one window is a good start. It's better to get the players you can get now and wait for Koulibaly, if there's still interest (was there even ever on his part?).

If only one of the players is good enough to be there when they start being successful, is it really a good start?

They still haven't signed Bruno Fernandes so I'll dismiss that out of hand, but people should recognize that he scored all those goals while never tackling or working hard when the team doesn't have the ball. I do like him though.

Reactions: Chimaera

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mcgurie at 80 million will always be available to United. Any team would be happy to sell him at that price every year. Leicester basically said "Thank you, come again." after the meeting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks. He’s probably going to be starved for minutes. Though

He'll play a lot more if Toprak leaves, but now that we are at five CB's, there's not a huge need for Toprak to leave.

He could play more than Toprak anyway. I don't know why Dortmund wouldn't start playing him instead of Toprak when we spent a lot of money on him. If he's not ready to play, he should go out on loan.

I think the depth chart works something like

1 and 2. Hummels-Akanji
3 and 4. Probably Zagadou as the main backup at both R and L, but maybe one of the right-footers at RCB.
5 and 6. Toprak and Balerdi in some order

There's also a chance if Weigl stays that he could be the second string guy on the right side. If Favre doesn't want to use two left-footers, that may be more likely than Balerdi or Toprak being second string on the right side.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Akanji has been injured a fair amount. He missed 13 games last season with various injuries. But yeah, if Akanji is healthy, Favre isn't very willing to rotate.

He already has muscle problems to start off this season. I've yet to see any indication they are serious and will cause him to miss games that count, but the CB position is seriously slow if he's not playing.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Now we are being pushed aside by the likes of Celtic and St-Etienne with gobs of rejected bids for players who wouldn't or are not ready to get a sniff at clubs we used to consider our competition.
I mean, the bid for Saliba was accepted. Tierney still sounds promising given that it’s a question of structure not value. Teams reject early bids all the time. It’s absolutely bad business not to. I mean. Look what happened with van Dijk for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad