OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It is a thing, but I just don't think its necessary.

I think in general, the less restrictions you have, the better off you'll be and the more likely you'll be to make a life style change.

For someone like Palms, it sounds like he just needs to make a few minor adjustments. I mean he can Keto if he wants, but it's not necessary.
What is necessary for one is not necessary for someone else. You could argue I didn't "need" to go on Keto based on the amount of weight I had to lose. Keto also helped instantly control my hypertension (something I have had since I was 23). Some people can't just make minor adjustments. Some folks need something to follow. I am one of those people. I've never really been super unfit but just found myself starting to creep towards a dad bod (which is highly unacceptable to me).

Dieting to lose the weight and then making minor adjustments to eating habits to sustain long term weight loss is what works for a lot of people. There are additional health benefits from certain dietary restrictions that go beyond weight loss.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Tried being healthy for like 3 weeks. Lost like 7 pounds. Decided I’d rather be 10 pounds heavier and eat anything I want instead.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Most hard liquors are fine.

Whiskey and most bourbons.

Gin and diet tonic.

Sugar-free margaritas.
So should I do Keto?

I’m 6’5 220 right now, I was 200 before I started working. I don’t have much in the way of upper body muscle, but my legs are developed from football.

I’m fine restricting my diet but I’m big into scotch so I don’t want to drop that long term.

Edit: I’m not an alcoholic lol

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So should I do Keto?

I’m 6’5 220 right now, I was 200 before I started working. I don’t have much in the way of upper body muscle, but my legs are developed from football.

I’m fine restricting my diet but I’m big into scotch so I don’t want to drop that long term.

I don't think anyone can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I mean, before starting a diet you should likely check with your doctor.

That being said, I think Keto is the easiest one to stick to and the least restrictive when it comes to liquor.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Other than keto, what does everyone do for working out? Do y'all follow someone's program or just have your own weights routine?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So should I do Keto?

I know I said this before but the mirror should be the judge. For instance, you are 6'5 220 and want to lose weight. I weighed in at 231.4 (105 kg) this morning and I'm 6'3. Dropping kgs is the last thing on my mind.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Other than keto, what does everyone do for working out? Do y'all follow someone's program or just have your own weights routine?

Tried lot of different stuff over the years and now got my own plan.

Day 1 - chest and tris
Day 2 - quads and calves
Day 3 - rest
Day 4 - shoulders and traps
Day 5 - back and bis
Day 6 - hammies and calves
Day 7 - rest

On leg days I'll do core exercises. On chest/back/shoulders days I'll get on the treadmill for HIIT or stationary bike.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Play basketball every day. I’m like a child. If you distract me with a game, I’ll happily exercise.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My workouts are constantly varied and have a coach watching them. Different one each day. Usually broken out and pretty intense. The workout itself could be 10 minutes long, could be 12. Today's was 20. Post workout (sometimes pre), I also usually do weight training (a combination of power lifting and Olympic lifting). Have received programming for that as well, but can put together my own power lifting 8 week programs now. Best investment I ever made was in myself.

Reactions: will1066

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yes, but I use it for mostly resistance cardio.

When saying weights, I mean working with the traditional lifts (Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, Etc.)
Ahh...got it. There are workouts that utilize both lifts and cardio and some are one or the other. Power lifting for strength (squats, deadlift, bench press) I usually do as a side bar. Though sometimes part of a particular workout is pure strength work and then comes the intensity parts. But I find that to get stronger, I need to devote time for just the power lifts on the side.

Kettles I like as well and can be used for strength, but I usually only do them when they are part of a particular workout.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A 5x5 like StrongLifts or StartingStrength is good if you're a beginner and fat or skinny fat. You'll burn a lot of calories which will help you lose fat, you'll put on some muscle mass and you'll get a lot stronger very fast.

Reactions: will1066

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A 5x5 like StrongLifts or StartingStrength is good if you're a beginner and fat or skinny fat. You'll burn a lot of calories which will help you lose fat, you'll put on some muscle mass and you'll get a lot stronger very fast.
I like Starting Strength. Great way to get stronger.

I still use as part of my side bar weight training. Can always reset and start a new cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad