OT: Summer Fitness Thread

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Recent studies show the link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is minimal at best... it’s mainly genetic
My understanding is that it's more complicated than that (at least wrt eggs).

Dietary cholesterol and egg yolk should be avoided by patients at risk of vascular disease

The Half-Truth

Egg marketers repeatedly say that studies have not shown harm from egg yolk consumption among healthy people. This is based on two US studies that enrolled healthy people, followed them over time, and did not find harm from egg yolk consumption among those who remained healthy. The second part of the story, never mentioned by the egg marketers, is that both those studies showed that among people who became diabetic during follow-up, an egg a day doubled coronary risk. It is likely that failure to show harm from eggs among persons who remained healthy during follow-up was lack of statistical power: in the US Health Professionals study, women age ~ 45 at baseline were followed for 14 years, and men age ~52 at baseline were followed for 8 years.

Dietary Cholesterol, Serum Lipids, and Heart Disease: Are Eggs Working for or Against You?

4. Conclusions

Figure 1 summarizes the effects of consuming additional cholesterol from eggs on LDL and HDL metabolism in recent clinical studies. Chronic daily egg intake does increase LDL-C to a certain extent in individuals classified as hyper-responders. However, LDL-C responses are typically minimal when eggs are consumed during weight loss conditions. Egg intake shifts LDL particles to the less detrimental, large LDL subclass, and does not appear to affect the levels of oxidized LDL. Egg intake also typically increases HDL-C and the concentration of large HDL, especially with weight loss. These changes appear to coincide with improvements in other markers of HDL function as well (e.g., PON1, cholesterol efflux capacity, LCAT). The effect of egg intake on the LDL-C/HDL-C ratio is negligible during weight maintenance and weight loss conditions. The relationship between dietary cholesterol and/or egg intake and CVD risk in diabetics requires further investigation. However, egg intake in the context of insulin resistance and/or diabetes would not be expected to be detrimental due to changes in serum lipids, as serum lipid responses to additional dietary cholesterol are often diminished in clinical studies of insulin-resistant groups compared to leaner, more insulin-sensitive individuals. Overall, recent intervention studies with eggs demonstrate that the additional dietary cholesterol does not negatively affect serum lipids, and in some cases, appears to improve lipoprotein particle profiles and HDL functionality.

Effects of a very high saturated fat diet on LDL particles in adults with atherogenic dyslipidemia: A randomized controlled trial

Conclusions

Because medium and small LDL particles are more highly associated with cardiovascular disease than are larger LDL, the present results suggest that very high saturated fat intake may increase cardiovascular disease risk in phenotype B individuals. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov (NCT00895141).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What do y'all know about intermittent fasting

It works to an extent.

There is science behind it that seems valid (your body stays in fat burning mode the longer it goes with out food) but beyond that, I think that it's real benefit is that it keeps people from overeating (in the caloric sense, you're going to want to eat a pretty big meal or 3 throughout the day.)

I've run everything from the standard 16/8 to the 20/4 but this was easy for me, I hate eating in the morning and have always been someone who doesn't break their fast until later in the day. If you're starting out, I'd try to skip breakfast and go as long as you can with out eating anything but don't kill yourself over it, if you're starving, eat.

Your body will adjust eventually.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It works to an extent.

There is science behind it that seems valid (your body stays in fat burning mode the longer it goes with out food) but beyond that, I think that it's real benefit is that it keeps people from overeating (in the caloric sense, you're going to want to eat a pretty big meal or 3 throughout the day.)

I've run everything from the standard 16/8 to the 20/4 but this was easy for me, I hate eating in the morning and have always been someone who doesn't break their fast until later in the day. If you're starting out, I'd try to skip breakfast and go as long as you can with out eating anything but don't kill yourself over it, if you're starving, eat.

Your body will adjust eventually.
I usually never eat till after 12 or 1. Like I just have black coffee and then it keeps me till about then... I have small lunch then small dinner at like 10:00. I sleep around 1:00-7

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I usually never eat till after 12 or 1. Like I just have black coffee and then it keeps me till about then... I have small lunch then small dinner at like 10:00. I sleep around 1:00-7

Yeah and if you're doing IF, Black coffee is perfectly fine.

You're already working with a 14-15 hour fasting window. Push it a bit further and see how it works for you.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
real benefit is that it keeps people from overeating (in the caloric sense, you're going to want to eat a pretty big meal or 3 throughout the day.)

Ding ding ding. Lots of BroScience surrounding IF and the bottom line is it ultimately leads to calorie restriction which is what matters.

Nutrition-pyramid.jpg

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

You're already working with a 14-15 hour fasting window. Push it a bit further and see how it works for you.
I'm leaning toward it, I would like to see how this goes for sure. In addition to exercise of course but definitely need to improve my figure for me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ding ding ding. Lots of BroScience surrounding IF and the bottom line is it ultimately leads to calorie restriction which is what matters.

I mean, it's pretty much a verifiable fact that the body is going to burn fat during fasting stages. I wouldn't call it "bro science". I think that IF can be a bit overhyped, but if you combine it with something like keto (where you are already primarily burning fat), you're going to get some legitimately excellent results.

CICO is the end goal for every diet/lifestyle, but there are ways to boost results. IF is one of them for sure.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Black coffee is perfect (so is diet soda or any calorie-free drink like Crystal Light). Coffee with a drop of milk is also fine. You can generally get in around 50 calories and still maintain a fasted state (that's a decent amount of heavy whipping cream, for example, or two full tablespoons of half & half).

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I actually was trying to get into keto but I just have poor discipline sometimes and I am working on that still. I am not super obese but at 5 foot 8 I am like 165 and have a small layer of fat. I only got it after I started working this desk job. Kind of disappointed with myself but trying to start new routines.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I actually was trying to get into keto but I just have poor discipline sometimes and I am working on that still. I am not super obese but at 5 foot 8 I am like 165 and have a small layer of fat. I only got it after I started working this desk job. Kind of disappointed with myself but trying to start new routines.

Personally, I'd really only advise Keto for people who are drastically overweight (50+ pounds.) You don't fall into that bucket.

If you just started tracking your calories, got on a consistent workout program and cut out most, if not all of the sugar from your diet (assuming that you haven't already) you'd probably see pretty good results withing 3-5 months.

Whats your water intake like?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What do y'all know about intermittent fasting
I did a 16/8 schedule for a while. I liked it and saw solid results(when combined with excerise and eating healthier).

I’ve been off it for a while. I don’t think it really had any major effects, but it kept my snacking down

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I mean, it's pretty much a verifiable fact that the body is going to burn fat during fasting stages. I wouldn't call it "bro science". I think that IF can be a bit overhyped, but if you combine it with something like keto (where you are already primarily burning fat), you're going to get some legitimately excellent results.

CICO is the end goal for every diet/lifestyle, but there are ways to boost results. IF is one of them for sure.

CICO works without IF but IF doesn't work without CICO. CICO is also easier to achieve with IF because you're literally eating less (often) and probably won't binge. Again it all comes back to CICO.

There is definitely broscience about it IMO where people think IF revs your metabolism up exponentially you turn into a fat shredding machine. It might (key word) help and boost an already calorie restricted diet but the driving force behind IF is CICO itself.

Macros > Timing /Fasting as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CICO works without IF but IF doesn't work without CICO. CICO is also easier to achieve with IF because you're literally eating less (often) and probably won't binge. Again it all comes back to CICO.

There is definitely broscience about it IMO where people think IF revs your metabolism up exponentially you turn into a fat shredding machine. It might (key word) help and boost an already calorie restricted diet but the driving force behind IF is CICO itself.

Macros > Timing /Fasting as well.

I would say that "might" isn't really a word I'd use. There is definitely fat boosting with regards to IF. The debate is how much. And that's where the "bro science" comes in.

Macros are always key behind CICO. The hierarchy should be:

CICO
Macros
Keto or other diets/lifestyles
IF

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Personally, I'd really only advise Keto for people who are drastically overweight (50+ pounds.) You don't fall into that bucket.

If you just started tracking your calories, got on a consistent workout program and cut out most, if not all of the sugar from your diet (assuming that you haven't already) you'd probably see pretty good results withing 3-5 months.

Why? Keto can be a great tool for any weight loss and then also muscle gain. Ketogains is a real thing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I would say that "might" isn't really a word I'd use. There is definitely fat boosting with regards to IF. The debate is how much. And that's where the "bro science" comes in.

Macros are always key behind CICO. The hierarchy should be:

CICO
Macros
Keto or other diets/lifestyles
IF

Fair enough, I'd agree with that

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why? Keto can be a great tool for any weight loss and then also muscle gain. Ketogains is a real thing.

It is a thing, but I just don't think its necessary.

I think in general, the less restrictions you have, the better off you'll be and the more likely you'll be to make a life style change.

For someone like Palms, it sounds like he just needs to make a few minor adjustments. I mean he can Keto if he wants, but it's not necessary.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

I drink a lot of water. I try to only drink water or black coffee (only in the AM). Sometimes I have light beer and that needs to stop sometimes because I like to indulge) but I do drink a lot of water. Maybe too much if that's a thing.

I really only eat twice a day but need to cut out more sugars. I have oranges and like grapes for lunch but I feel like I should switch that out to vegetables instead.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I drink a lot of water. I try to only drink water or black coffee (only in the AM). Sometimes I have light beer and that needs to stop sometimes because I like to indulge) but I do drink a lot of water. Maybe too much if that's a thing.

I really only eat twice a day but need to cut out more sugars. I have oranges and like grapes for lunch but I feel like I should switch that out to vegetables instead.

Well too much would mean death but if you're getting at least a gallonish a day you're good.

Fruits aren't bad but do try to switch over to Veggies or at least try to keep the fruits to a minimum (maybe eat veggies one day, fruits the next, etc.) Eating twice a day is absolutely fine provided that you're hitting your caloric/nutrient needs. Under eating is probably just as bad as overeating.

But at the end of the day, if you want to indulge every now and then it's not the end of the world. Live your life, as long as you have your eating under control for most of the time, you'll be fine.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Well too much would mean death but if you're getting at least a gallonish a day you're good.

Fruits aren't bad but do try to switch over to Veggies or at least try to keep the fruits to a minimum (maybe eat veggies one day, fruits the next, etc.) Eating twice a day is absolutely fine provided that you're hitting your caloric/nutrient needs. Under eating is probably just as bad as overeating.

But at the end of the day, if you want to indulge every now and then it's not the end of the world. Live your life, as long as you have your eating under control for most of the time, you'll be fine.
The eating part I'm getting down. I usually only go out for beers like once per 3 weeks or so so there's that but when I do it's like 12-15 or so. So that does warrant some cutting down :laugh:

I am definitely trying to just lose a little bit of weight and want to get into a better routine on the daily, so I am definitely going to have to start counting more. I have weighed actually having some stuff like zinc supplements put into my days as well.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
For the people that are trying to lose weight, here are my tips that do work:

Walking or jogging in the morning on a fasted stomach helps a lot...

What my friend has done who was overweight (300+ lbs for 5'8"):
Drinking a gallon of water per day.
Cut sugars and carbs. You don't have to get rid of them entirely, but these need to be cut.
Food portions.

He lost 100 lbs in a year, and 125 lbs 16 months in, but that is a STRICT itinerary.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I need to get back in the fitness game. I was down to 200(I’m 6’5) last fall but I’ve ballooned up to 220 since I started working in December.

I tried the Keto thing but it sucks I love bread and whiskey. I’m just going to try to limit them during the week. And get back to working out consistently
You can have whiskey on Keto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad