OT: Summer Fitness Thread

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Cardio every day for around an hour, then add a 1/2 hour of weights 2x a week. Weight routine is 3 sets per body part all in one day, 20-25 reps per set.

I am old, if I try to lift anything heavy, I hurt myself.

Not a criticism. Just an observation, but that's a lot of reps.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dunno. I have a few different work out routines from bodybuilders & nutritionists that call for 20-25 reps. A lot of super sets.

Supersets are a bit different than pumping out 20-25 reps on every lift you do.

I personally hate super sets though unless they're sprinkled in every now and then. Easy way to over train.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Supersets are a bit different than pumping out 20-25 reps on every lift you do.

I personally hate super sets though unless they're sprinkled in every now and then. Easy way to over train.
I agree super sets are different, I didn't do a good job of differentiating that in my post. Either way though, I do disagree that 20 is too much. If you are using a light enough weight, 20 reps is absolutely fine.

Reactions: Trxjw

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Not necessarily. Depends on the weight. If he is keeping it light (as he says he is), you are looking at better muscle definition and a more cardio-like work out as opposed to bulking up with heavier weights and smaller sets.
Yup. My goal = lean and mean with no injuries.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Tried a new bicep routine that I read about and it gave me a burn. I'm still feeling it this morning; a little sore. Quite a while since I burned my biceps.

Here is the routine:
1. Zottman curl 2-3 sets, 12 reps, lighter weight
It is like a regular curl but you twist your wrists to face out your palms near the top of the curl. A warm-up for the next exercises.

2. Barbell curl with thick grips 3 sets, 12, 10, 8 reps, lighter weight
Thicker grips work the forearms and are more challenging for the biceps

3. Superset incline dumbbell curl-to-hammer curl 3 sets, 10 reps or as many to failure, usual weight
This really gets the burn going. Transition straight to the hammer curl without stopping.

4. Standing bicep curl or cable bicep curl, light weight, 3 sets, 21 reps

Since this was new to me, I only managed 2 sets each and didn't get to the max reps besides the Zottman curl routine.

EDIT: Neglected to say that the hammer curls are done standing up or sitting on the flat seat of the inclined bench.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree super sets are different, I didn't do a good job of differentiating that in my post. Either way though, I do disagree that 20 is too much. If you are using a light enough weight, 20 reps is absolutely fine.
All depends on the workout. If a workout has a combination of weights & plyo, the weights are usually moderate. The reps may be higher in total, but the rep scheme can vary. For example, one can get in a total of 45 reps, but they are usually broken down into sets (21, 15, 9 is pretty popular).

If doing weight training that is not part of a pretty intense wod, then the rep scheme is lower but the weight can get high. Something like 3 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5.

But all depends on what the intent is. Of both the training and the person doing it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Avocado sliced in half and filled with an egg, cheese, and bacon is one of the best breakfast dishes one can ever have. Add some hot sauce and it's GOAT.
I absolutely agree. I was hesitant to try it because I like my Avocado uncooked, but that's a powerful breakfast there filled with good fats, protein and deliciousness.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
So.. Someone explain the Keto diet to a caveman like me. I did that Atkins diet a long ass time ago and I lost some weight. I don't believe in diets though, but rather a balanced lifestyle.

Can I eat pizza? Are there cheat days? How will I feel from a physical POV?

What about cholesterol? Blood pressure? **** like that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Thick bar training? Pls splain. I am very curious.

It's just lifting with thicker bars.

They have products (such as fat grips) which you can wrap around a regular bar (or even dumbells, pull up bars, dip bars, etc.) which basically give you the same effect.

There is nothing better for developing your arms/grip strength IMO. The latter of which I find is one of the biggest weaknesses in people.

These days, I only really use them when doing Farmers Walks but I'd look into them if that sounds like something you're looking for.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So.. Someone explain the Keto diet to a caveman like me. I did that Atkins diet a long ass time ago and I lost some weight. I don't believe in diets though, but rather a balanced lifestyle.

Can I eat pizza? Are there cheat days? How will I feel from a physical POV?

What about cholesterol? Blood pressure? **** like that.

No, not for a while, like shit until you adapt.

Keto has positive effects on cholesterol for most people. BP too.

Also, the Keto flu (what they call the adaptation period) varies from person to person. Some get it realllly bad, others don't really feel any ill effects.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No, not for a while, like **** until you adapt.

Keto has positive effects on cholesterol for most people. BP too.

Also, the Keto flu (what they call the adaptation period) varies from person to person. Some get it realllly bad, others don't really feel any ill effects.
WTF, so I'll get sick?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not sick sick, but your body has to adjust to the lack of carbs because it responds by making you piss a ton.

If you handle your electrolytes, the symptoms should be manageable.

Really? Well that's some interesting **** right there.

What are you pissing out exactly?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
WTF, so I'll get sick?
Keto flu can usually be quickly remedied by a cup of chicken broth or something. You just need to get some salt & water back in your system.

I keep a package of chicken bouillon in my desk. When I start on Keto and I begin to feel the "keto flu" I fill up a cup with hot water, drop in 1/3rd - 1/2 a cube and within 2-3 hours I am good to go.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Keto flu can usually be quickly remedied by a cup of chicken broth or something. You just need to get some salt & water back in your system.

I keep a package of chicken bouillon in my desk. When I start on Keto and I begin to feel the "keto flu" I fill up a cup with hot water, drop in 1/3rd - 1/2 a cube and within 2-3 hours I am good to go.
What's your food schedule look like over the course of a week, just out of curiosity?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What's your food schedule look like over the course of a week, just out of curiosity?

Morning is bullet proof coffee and then a packet of KetoOS once arriving at the office.
Usually have about 18 oz of water between 8 - 11:30
11:30 head to the gym
For lunch I will usually grab a salad or bring leftovers from whatever Keto meal the wife and I made the night before.
Second packet of KetoOS around 2:30 pm
Another 18 oz of water between lunch and end of the day
Usually have some ranch/buffalo chicken/edamame hummus when I get home before dinner
Dinner is any number of things - burgers, fajitas (there are good low carb wraps), grilled chicken, meatballs, cauliflower casserole, etc.

Rinse and repeat. Some weeks I will snag some Boars head Ham and Salami along with Jalapeno Havarti and have that in a low carb wrap with mayo, mustard for lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad