OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think I've said more than a few times that I have been eating a ketogenic diet since last August (save for a few days last week on vacation). Prior to really getting back into the gym, I was down about 65 pounds just eating mostly meat and cheese.

Started my 5-days-per-week gym routine a few months ago (March, maybe?). I do roughly three lifting days and two cardio days. Arms and shoulders/chest, legs/thighs, arms and back. Cardio is some relatively light elliptical work (like a 300 calorie burn for 30 minutes).

Since then, I'm down another 35 pounds or so for about 100 overall since last August. I'm down to my HS weight, which is kind of insane.

During the week, I generally eat around 1500 calories. Bacon, egg, and cheese on a plate in the AM, Quest protein bar at lunch (or soup), and then whatever I want for dinner.

So it's been summer for a few days now. What is everyone doing to get and/or stay in shape?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Didn't expect to see a Keto thread here.

Just got finished making sautéed Striped bass with Garlic sea salt, and butter and califlauer Mac and cheese made from heavy cream, goat cheese, cream cheese and cheddar. Was flat out awesome!

Been on the diet for 5 weeks. Cheated once. Beer! Down 24lbs.

Had zero energy for the gym in the first month and took me a few weeks to actually get into Ketosis.

Now I'm less then 1200 calories a day on average and only eating 2x a day. Not even hungry in between. Sure that will chance with a gym routine.

Best diet I have ever done so far.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Just got finished making sautéed Striped bass with Garlic sea salt, and butter and califlauer Mac and cheese made from heavy cream, goat cheese, cream cheese and cheddar. Was flat out awesome!

Had zero energy for the gym in the first month and took me a few weeks to actually get into Ketosis.

Now I'm less then 1200 calories a day on average and only eating 2x a day. Not even hungry in between. Sure that will chance with a gym routine.

Some people adapt really slowly, others adapt within a few days and don't feel any symptoms. When I was on it I used to eat one big meal a day, it was awesome.

btw, you need to eat more. 1200 Calories is really, really low.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

What's your weight? Agreed with GAS - 1200 may be too low, bro. You can run into some metabolic issues running that low. You won't notice it now, but it may come back to hurt you in 5 months. Just be aware of that. My two cents.

Enjoy the diet, though. I've had a blast on it and there are more and more products available to folks doing keto (I just bought keto granola and keto oatmeal/hot cereal, for example).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not a big believer in diets because if you stop them you can easily put it back on. And they can be really hard to follow. It's about eating right and training hard. But hey if it works all the power to you.

Jonathan those are some pretty impressive results. Good stuff. Now don't slack off.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i play hockey 2-3 times a week and go to the gym twice a week. end up walking a fair amount each week as well, maybe 20 miles or so. i dont lose weight though because i eat a lot and drink beer.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Trying to downsize my buttocks. They're disporportionately large so I've been doing clenches and squats. I invested in a swivel chair so I can exercise without having to stand up and put pressure on my knees.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

darko

Feb 16, 2009
i play hockey 2-3 times a week and go to the gym twice a week. end up walking a fair amount each week as well, maybe 20 miles or so. i dont lose weight though because i eat a lot and drink beer.

Beer is the only reason I'm not in tip top shape. Gym 5-6 times a week, weights and HIIT. Did muay thai for years which was crazy good.

I do like my beers.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
If you want a great and sustainable "diet" then you want to look at The Vertical Diet from Stan Efferding.

Reactions: LokiDog

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm in the gym maybe 2-3 times a week but I still eat like a piece of shit so I've been basically the same weight for the past year or so...

Every Monday I tell myself this will be the week I change my diet. Tomorrow is no different. Nothing will change.

Good luck to everyone who actually has willpower.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not a big believer in diets because if you stop them you can easily put it back on. And they can be really hard to follow. It's about eating right and training hard. But hey if it works all the power to you.

Jonathan those are some pretty impressive results. Good stuff. Now don't slack off.

My view on life: If you view it as a diet, you’ll fail. If you view it as a lifestyle change, you will succeed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't eat breakfast in the morning, snack all day at work and then either eat an enormous amount of whatever my wife cooked or house a frozen Digiorno pizza. On weekends I eat a bunch of bullshit, grill something for dinner or go spend too much money eating out, then go out and have about 10 beers and 5 shots with my buddies one of the two nights. If I feel like I'm getting fat I just take it easy for a couple of days and I'm back to where I was.

I'm about 5'8" and hover between 180 and 190. Everyone is shocked when I tell them I weigh as much as I do. I guess it's my bone structure or the remnants of when I was an athlete a really long time ago. LOL. I do have a big neck (17.5") and barrell chest, so that's probably it. But, I actually look like a dude who was in shape not long ago. I'm NOT in shape, and I smoke, but I look pretty solid. I'm married so I no longer really care. Haha.

Anyway, fitness is cool, my wife does the gym, I just don't have time for that shit--or, more accurately, the desire. Props to you all who are in shape and make exercise a thing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't eat breakfast in the morning, snack all day at work and then either eat an enormous amount of whatever my wife cooked or house a frozen Digiorno pizza. On weekends I eat a bunch of bull****, grill something for dinner or go spend too much money eating out, then go out and have about 10 beers and 5 shots with my buddies one of the two nights. If I feel like I'm getting fat I just take it easy for a couple of days and I'm back to where I was.

I'm about 5'8" and hover between 180 and 190. Everyone is shocked when I tell them I weigh as much as I do. I guess it's my bone structure or the remnants of when I was an athlete a really long time ago. LOL. I do have a big neck (17.5") and barrell chest, so that's probably it. But, I actually look like a dude who was in shape not long ago. I'm NOT in shape, and I smoke, but I look pretty solid. I'm married so I no longer really care. Haha.

Anyway, fitness is cool, my wife does the gym, I just don't have time for that ****--or, more accurately, the desire. Props to you all who are in shape and make exercise a thing.

Wow. That neck size at your height and weight is unreal. I have a 16.5” neck at 5’11” and about 20 pounds on you. I had a 17.5” neck like 50 pounds ago.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wow. That neck size at your height and weight is unreal. I have a 16.5” neck at 5’11” and about 20 pounds on you. I had a 17.5” neck like 50 pounds ago.
Yeah it's always been really big. I had sleep apnea surgery when I was 22. At the time they seemed to use factors like obesity to determine if you were at risk. I was still pretty in shape then so they were surprised I had it as severely as I did. Now I see they frequently use neck size as an indicator, which makes sense.

It's also hard to buy dress shirts. Also suits and jackets because I have a big chest and broad shoulders but comparatively short arms. Ah well, jackets and suits should all be tailored anyway. A cheap, tailored suit will always look better than an expensive off-the-rack suit.

Sorry for distracting from your thread Jon, I'm done!

Reactions: LokiDog

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't eat breakfast in the morning, snack all day at work and then either eat an enormous amount of whatever my wife cooked or house a frozen Digiorno pizza. On weekends I eat a bunch of bull****, grill something for dinner or go spend too much money eating out, then go out and have about 10 beers and 5 shots with my buddies one of the two nights. If I feel like I'm getting fat I just take it easy for a couple of days and I'm back to where I was.

I'm about 5'8" and hover between 180 and 190. Everyone is shocked when I tell them I weigh as much as I do. I guess it's my bone structure or the remnants of when I was an athlete a really long time ago. LOL. I do have a big neck (17.5") and barrell chest, so that's probably it. But, I actually look like a dude who was in shape not long ago. I'm NOT on shape, and I smoke, but I look pretty solid. I'm married so I no longer really care. Haha.

Anyway, fitness is cool, my wife does the gym, I just don't have time for that ****--or, more accurately, the desire. Props to you all who are in shape and make exercise a thing.

Sounds like you have a fast metabolism. If I ate like that I'd balloon.

5 smaller meals a day. 2 brekkies (usually start with cereal, 2nd brekkie eggs on toast with fruit etc), 2 lunches (basically 1 big lunch split into 2 about couple hours away - carbs galore with some veggies), dinner (piece of meet and some veggies). 1 protein shake a day - post workout.

No sugars. That means no lollies, ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter, nutella. I honestly can't recall last time i had an ice cream. Or pizza. If I'm getting a takeaway it's Subway or Nandos (pick up some chicken). Beers are my only sugar (more or less).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah it's always been really big. I had sleep apnea surgery when I was 22. At the time they seemed to use factors like obesity to determine if you were at risk. I was still pretty in shape then so they were surprised I had it as severely as I did. Now I see they frequently use neck size as an indicator, which makes sense.

It's also hard to buy dress shirts. Also suits and jackets because I have a big chest and broad shoulders but comparatively short arms. Ah well, jackets and suits should all be tailored anyway. A cheap, tailored suit will always look better than an expensive off-the-rack suit.

Sorry for distracting from your thread Jon, I'm done!

With wide shoulders and chest and short arms you'd be a killer on the bench press.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would really like to eat breakfast, and a small lunch and reasonable dinner. It's just hard right now at this point in my life, since I have to get up and get the kids ready and the little one to daycare (and since it's summer, the older one to camp). I don't have time to do breakfast. I could if I woke up early, but I don't sleep enough as it is AND I have to take sleeping pills which make the morning an even bigger chore.

I like to think in a couple years when things settle down, I can devote some time to eating more healthy and just living a healthier lifestyle. Also quitting smoking.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I would really like to eat breakfast, and a small lunch and reasonable dinner. It's just hard right now at this point in my life, since I have to get up and get the kids ready and the little one to daycare (and since it's summer, the older one to camp). I don't have time to do breakfast. I could if I woke up early, but I don't sleep enough as it is AND I have to take sleeping pills which make the morning an even bigger chore.

I like to think in a couple years when things settle down, I can devote some time to eating more healthy and just living a healthier lifestyle. Also quitting smoking.

2 pieces of toast with a spread (say avocado spread) and a piece of fruit. Takes 2 minutes to do. Easy peasy healthy brekkie.

Kickstarts your metabolism.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Sarge13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->