OT: Summer Fitness Thread

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do mine two ways:
1) Primal Kitchen Buffalo sauce
2) olive oil and generous amounts of lemon pepper seasoning
What do you cook it in? For some reason I only feel comfortable cooking chicken on my BBQ grill.

I usually eat what I want now but I restrict calories. I'll eat pizza or ice cream but instead of a large amount I limit it to 1 serving. I'm finally at my pre covid weight but losing another 5-10 pounds would be great for pool season.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What do you cook it in? For some reason I only feel comfortable cooking chicken on my BBQ grill.

I usually eat what I want now but I restrict calories. I'll eat pizza or ice cream but instead of a large amount I limit it to 1 serving. I'm finally at my pre covid weight but losing another 5-10 pounds would be great for pool season.
Cast iron pan and butter. When hot enough you can get a nice crunch on the outside while the inside is still juicy.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Any Strongman aficionados out there? I have 2 months left in my current programming then I start the Summer off with a month long Strongman program. 😍

Also hosting a mock competition at my gym Memorial Day weekend.

Reactions: DialUp

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have become pretty good at making scrambled eggs and grilling NY strip steaks. That helps my diet. I feel I'm already at pool season weight but if I could lose another 5-8 pounds I will be really happy. I lost around 45 pounds since Jan 2023.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I have become pretty good at making scrambled eggs and grilling NY strip steaks. That helps my diet. I feel I'm already at pool season weight but if I could lose another 5-8 pounds I will be really happy. I lost around 45 pounds since Jan 2023.
Congrats! Love a Steak and Eggs diet.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Already into a really good spring schedule for a little over a month

Weight Training: Every other day - Full Body & Core work 45-60 min
Cardio: Every other day - Running 3-6 miles
Friday Night: Alcohol & THC ok
Saturday: Recovery and Cheat meals
Sunday: Long run for 5-8 miles or skate for 10+
Daily walks with the beagle about 1-2 miles
Ice Hockey, Peloton, Golf and/or Yardwork thrown in usually once or twice a week

Cut out a lot of sugar from my diet
Cut down on carb intake, but not completely
Mostly Ezekiel bread, sometimes whole wheat
Watching portions and staying consistent with Protein intake
Upped Veggie intake
Turmeric Tea at night
ZMA's when I don't have cottage cheese or greek yogurt as a snack before bed
I always Intermittently fast from 9pm to around Noon the next day

Seeing good results.

I'm 45 so looking for a Test enhancer if anyone has a good one. I used MDrive Elite for a while and it was decent but looking to switch it up.

Anyone drink Athletic Greens?

Last edited:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Already into a really good spring schedule for a little over a month

Weight Training: Every other day - Full Body & Core work 60 min
Cardio: Every other day - Running 3-6 miles
Friday Night: Alcohol & THC ok
Saturday: Recovery and Cheat meals
Sunday: Long run for 4-8 miles or skate for 10+
Daily walks with the beagle about 1-2 miles
Ice Hockey, Golf and/or Yardwork thrown in usually once or twice a week

Cut out a lot of sugar from my diet
Cut down on carb intake, but not completely
Mostly Ezekiel bread, sometimes whole wheat
Watching portions and staying consistent with Protein intake
Turmeric Tea at night
ZMA's when I don't have cottage cheese or greek yogurt as a snack before bed
I always Intermittently fast from 9pm to around Noon the next day

Seeing good results.

I'm 45 so looking for a Test enhancer if anyone has a good one. I used MDrive Elite for a while and it was decent but looking to switch it up
Easy test enhancer, that no one wants to hear about, is cutting out the alcohol and THC lol. Sleeping too.

Depends what would be causing low test.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Easy test enhancer, that no one wants to hear about, is cutting out the alcohol and THC lol. Sleeping too.

Depends what would be causing low test.
Oh totally. Believe me i know.

I have worn a Whoop strap for 3 years, almost 1,200 recoveries

Alcohol totally f***s up your system. I limit it so much more now and have gone dry at points for weeks/months. Its huge.

The funny thing with THC is I actually get improved sleep scores, but only if I use Indica strains. But like everything, including diet imo, its a very individual thing

The test comment is a general thing and supplemental - its not super low. At my age it begins to fall naturally

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Alcohol totally f***s up your system. I limit it so much more now and have gone dry at points for weeks/months. Its huge.

The funny thing with THC is I actually get improved sleep scores, but only if I use Indica strains. But like everything, including diet imo, its a very individual thing

The test comment is a general thing and supplemental - its not super low. At my age it begins to fall naturally
Have you done bloodwork? It could be low free, high SHBG, low DHEA, aromatization (converting test to estrogen).

I’ve used Athletic Greens but found it to be really expensive while not much better than other Greens powders I use.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Have you done bloodwork? It could be low free, high SHBG, low DHEA, aromatization (converting test to estrogen).

I’ve used Athletic Greens but found it to be really expensive while not much better than other Greens powders I use.
I was actually looking into it to check.

Saw that Quest does standalone Test bloodwork for like 75 bucks, wonder if its covered after a certain age (doubtful lol)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
@HockeyBasedNYC

Anything that advertises itself as a test enhancer is a waste of money short of pharmaceuticals.

Eating good fats and getting proper sleep (this is paramount, you’d be amazed at the difference this makes) is the way to go.

I’d probably cut back on the cardio a touch (maybe build in an additional rest day) and see what that does for you. At 45 you’re not going to recover like someone who is 20 years younger and 6 mile runs are no joke.

Reactions: Chytilmania

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
@HockeyBasedNYC

Anything that advertises itself as a test enhancer is a waste of money short of pharmaceuticals.

Eating good fats and getting proper sleep (this is paramount, you’d be amazed at the difference this makes) is the way to go.

I’d probably cut back on the cardio a touch (maybe build in an additional rest day) and see what that does for you. At 45 you’re not going to recover like someone who is 20 years younger and 6 mile runs are no joke.
All good advice thanks

Its not that ive tested low (i should def get a baseline), or think theres a problem there - Im just thinking of supplementing due to my age. But you are prob right when it comes to all the shit thats on the market.

I've always been very active. The long runs can get me and i build in more recovery. I've run over 1000K a year for the past 5 years so its something i regularly do.

Ive been making sleep a priority but its probably time to increase it even more as you suggest

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Fellow Whoop brother :5:, about 3 years as well.

• Love
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I've been using an Oura ring for 3+ years. Ridiculous how much one drink plummets my score. Body temperature goes up too.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I commend you guys for using those tracker bands. I'd be checking it every 2 mins and most likely start obsessing over numbers.

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cmox

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I sometimes think I’d benefit from more data but then revert back to “keeping things simple.” I have a base Apple Watch that I essentially use as an alarm clock to wake up and a timer at the gym. The sleep data is interesting but I don’t obsess over the numbers or try to optimize them. I use MyFitnessPal to track calories when I need to regain momentum but I always know within a few hundred calories how much I’m consuming daily without active tracking. I don’t eat out much and when I do it’s not on a day I’m limiting myself.

I’m in my late 30s now. Mentally I’m the same person in my 20s. Physically it’s a different ballgame. I don’t bounce back from workouts and injuries as quickly as I used to. If I sleep in the wrong position my neck is wrenched for a week. I don’t have the energy I used to. Sitting for long periods of time leaves me feeling stiff when before it didn’t. Random aches. It sucks. There’s no going back I guess, only slowing down further aging? I get now why 30+ exercise plans focus on functional fitness over aesthetics.

Last edited:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I sometimes think I’d benefit from more data but then revert back to “keeping things simple.” I have a base Apple Watch that I essentially use as an alarm clock to wake up and a timer at the gym. The sleep data is interesting but I don’t obsess over the numbers or try to optimize them. I use MyFitnessPal to track calories when I need to regain momentum but I always know within a few hundred calories how much I’m consuming daily without active tracking. I don’t eat out much and when I do it’s not on a day I’m limiting myself.

I’m in my late 30s now. Mentally I’m the same person in my 20s. Physically it’s a different ballgame. I don’t bounce back from workouts and injuries as quickly as I used to. If I sleep in the wrong position my neck is wrenched for a week. I just don’t have the energy I used to. Sitting for long periods of time leaves me feeling stiff in ways I never used to. It sucks. But there’s no going back I guess, only slowing down further aging?
Oh, definitely, if it helps and works with your goals or past them, then keep at it. We really only know what works for us and our own bodies when it comes to exercise, health, etc. Any personal aid that helps is a game changer.

Yeah, getting older is the pits. I used to get a really stiff neck when sleeping. The pain was like I had constant pressure on my chest. I ended up changing to a firm pillow. It hasn't happened since.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad