OT: Summer Fitness Thread

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
I was fairly new to Keto a few months back. I had gone on a reduced calorie diet and was exercising in order to come back from ACL surgery. The exercise and diet lost me 20 pounds. I got stuck for a bit so I decided to try keto out.

I'm sure I made mistakes but I did buy a book on it and tried to follow the diet as I continued to work out. A month into Keto my knee gives out and I am forced to stop my rehab for a while. When I went to my Ortho, he told me I had lost most of the muscle I had gained on the ACL leg. So be careful going on Keto if you are coming off surgery. Just in case anybody was considering it. I did enjoy the diet while I was on it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was fairly new to Keto a few months back. I had gone on a reduced calorie diet and was exercising in order to come back from ACL surgery. The exercise and diet lost me 20 pounds. I got stuck for a bit so I decided to try keto out.

I'm sure I made mistakes but I did buy a book on it and tried to follow the diet as I continued to work out. A month into Keto my knee gives out and I am forced to stop my rehab for a while. When I went to my Ortho, he told me I had lost most of the muscle I had gained on the ACL leg. So be careful going on Keto if you are coming off surgery. Just in case anybody was considering it. I did enjoy the diet while I was on it.

Interesting, I don't know how much of an effect Keto had on that though. It's really good for muscle preservation though I don't know the effect it would have on ligaments.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Was this your Ortho who suggested your muscle loss has something to do with Keto diet? I just don’t think there is connection. To me it’s more probable that your “reduced calories “ diet was the reason behind muscle loss, especially if it was a severe reduction.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

This sounds more like you weren't properly strength training. I eat fairly strict keto and I've had a ton of muscle gain since I began a proper strength training regimen. My arms barely fit in my polo shirts, now. My legs have always been like tree trunks and they are just as muscular as they were before keto (actually more now that I walk from Penn to my office every morning).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Was this your Ortho who suggested your muscle loss has something to do with Keto diet? I just don’t think there is connection. To me it’s more probable that your “reduced calories “ diet was the reason behind muscle loss, especially if it was a severe reduction.

Likely a lack of protein and too many calories gone as well as poor strength training.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I think the muscle loss can be attributed to the fact that he just had surgery on the leg and hasn't been able to really do much with it for a while.

I can't see any reason why the diet would have an adverse effect on ligaments either, but its something worth looking into.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Likely a lack of protein and too many calories gone as well as poor strength training.

Yeah I think the muscle loss can be attributed to the fact that he just had surgery on the leg and hasn't been able to really do much with it for a while.

I can't see any reason why the diet would have an adverse effect on ligaments either, but its something worth looking into.

Unfortunately I’ve had experience with multiple surgeries, including ACL restoration and also having to comeback from another leg injury and surgery. The pattern has always been the same: first weight, strength, flexibility and muscle tone loss due to surgery recovery (very energy consuming) and a lack of exercise. Then physical therapy and going back to gym and exercise at some point that leads to more or less getting back to the same place as before.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just started keto again yesterday (it’s been a while since I’ve been shredded, this is the easiest/quickest way to get there.)

Keto flu isn’t that bad this time around but I’ve legit pissed 13 times already today and holy f*** keto OS is expensive

Reactions: Ori

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If you're in NY you are looking at the slimmest .00001% of the country. Wait until you go to the Midwest where mens sizes START at XXXL !
when i was in boulder colorado i didnt see a single over weight person. it was bizarre lol. was a great culture out there. physical activity and beer drinking.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not sure what that is, and kind of afraid to know.

Regular squats but you start light with high reps. As you add weight you decrease reps. It goes forever and my knees wouldn't be able to take it. Not sure why they call them pig squats.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Regular squats but you start light with high reps. As you add weight you decrease reps. It goes forever and my knees wouldn't be able to take it. Not sure why they call them pig squats.

Love doing squats with kettle bells on reversed bosu ball.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Love doing squats with kettle bells on reversed bosu ball.

Just regular squats from me and most of the time I'd be doing 50-60% of my PB. Knees can't take it anymore. I suppose that's what happens when you are 36 and you abused your knees for years with sports and gym.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just regular squats from me and most of the time I'd be doing 50-60% of my PB. Knees can't take it anymore. I suppose that's what happens when you are 36 and you abused your knees for years with sports and gym.

The same for me in terms of state of my joints (especially legs) and I’m 44. This is why bosu works - less weight but instability builds better strength in muscle and ligaments around knees (I “borrowed” bosu exercises from my physical therapy program after ACL reconstruction).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ketosis is great if you feel like melting the porcelain in your toilet bowl.

I'll stick to running a calorie deficit, myself.

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for insightful posts. Like I said I'm sure I made mistakes as I am new to Keto. Reason why I thought Keto messed up my rehab is because the month I changed to Keto was when everything went down hill.

Had surgery July 2017. Physical therapy 2 days later. Continued PT until November.

Started reduced calorie diet in October (weighed 185). 1600-2100 calories per day maybe 5 days per week. Built a gym with spinning bike and added a treadmill in January.

January was when I got stuck for a bit. So I started Keto late January. Read up online and then purchased Keto diet book.

Feb 26th my knee gave out doing squat excersices. I waited a couple of weeks to c if it would get better but nothing. Made apointment with Ortho. He found I had lost most of the muscle I had gained the previous 3 months.

I'm ok now. Still feel some pain/discomfort but it's better. Started new diet in late June and I'm down 10 lbs so far. Looking to get back to soccer in a few months but still worried about pain/discomfort (ortho said I should b good to start playing in September as long as next visit is good).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad