OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I miss my 20s. Lifting six days a week without a thought, bouncing back from late nights out with an early spin class. Totally different experience in your 30s. I have so much respect now for veteran athletes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure what that is, and kind of afraid to know.
Rep count is 20 all the way down to 1. Each round, the reps decrease by one, but the weight increases by 20 (10 for women). So first round is 20 squats with the 45 pound bar. Next is 19 squats at 65 pounds. Followed by 18 at 85 pounds. So on and so on until you finally reach one rep or fail to complete the rep count.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just regular squats from me and most of the time I'd be doing 50-60% of my PB. Knees can't take it anymore. I suppose that's what happens when you are 36 and you abused your knees for years with sports and gym.
Do you use sleeves or wraps at all? They help.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rep count is 20 all the way down to 1. Each round, the reps decrease by one, but the weight increases by 20 (10 for women). So first round is 20 squats with the 45 pound bar. Next is 19 squats at 65 pounds. Followed by 18 at 85 pounds. So on and so on until you finally reach one rep or fail to complete the rep count.

Sounds like a good way to have your quads explode on you.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for insightful posts. Like I said I'm sure I made mistakes as I am new to Keto. Reason why I thought Keto messed up my rehab is because the month I changed to Keto was when everything went down hill.

Had surgery July 2017. Physical therapy 2 days later. Continued PT until November.

Started reduced calorie diet in October (weighed 185). 1600-2100 calories per day maybe 5 days per week. Built a gym with spinning bike and added a treadmill in January.

January was when I got stuck for a bit. So I started Keto late January. Read up online and then purchased Keto diet book.

Feb 26th my knee gave out doing squat excersices. I waited a couple of weeks to c if it would get better but nothing. Made apointment with Ortho. He found I had lost most of the muscle I had gained the previous 3 months.

I'm ok now. Still feel some pain/discomfort but it's better. Started new diet in late June and I'm down 10 lbs so far. Looking to get back to soccer in a few months but still worried about pain/discomfort (ortho said I should b good to start playing in September as long as next visit is good).

Any diet will cause muscle loss, not just fat. Squats aren't great for troubled knees.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I’m sure, I guess I just don’t see the benefit to it other than being a savage if you can complete it.

I’ve got sooooo many issues with these CrossFit style workouts. They’re not all bad and on one hand the people who compete in the CrossFit games do some really impressive stuff, but all this max effort work with the “high volume in as fast as you can” is just not good for your body.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Do you use sleeves or wraps at all? They help.

I do but with squats as soon as I go over 100 kgs the knees start to feel it the next day. I'll just go 60 and do higher reps. Played basketball for years and also bit of volleyball, soccer, rugby, football and muay thai at different times. Gym for the past 10-12 years. Just lot of wear and tear I suppose. I reckon I'm in trouble when I get older.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I do but with squats as soon as I go over 100 kgs the knees start to feel it the next day. I'll just go 60 and do higher reps. Played basketball for years and also bit of volleyball, soccer, rugby, football and muay thai at different times. Gym for the past 10-12 years. Just lot of wear and tear I suppose. I reckon I'm in trouble when I get older.

Do you take fish oil?

I prefer your method of training to the max effort all day every day. You lower the risk of injury and you'll get more training in than someone who taxes their CNS on the regular.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I’m sure, I guess I just don’t see the benefit to it other than being a savage if you can complete it.
Not many people can complete it. I've see one.
I’ve got sooooo many issues with these CrossFit style workouts. They’re not all bad and on one hand the people who compete in the CrossFit games do some really impressive stuff, but all this max effort work with the “high volume in as fast as you can” is just not good for your body.
It is just a different way to train. And does produce body changing items. For the first time, I actually see results. Both in overall fitness and strength. But, that said it is not for everyone. And I am not one of the super crazy cult members. And yes, injuries happen. I pulled my groin, tweaked my groin, shoulder issues..... Just have to be careful. For me, is has produced the biggest and most tangible results than anything ever has. And I am 47.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not many people can complete it. I've see one.

It is just a different way to train. And does produce body changing items. For the first time, I actually see results. Both in overall fitness and strength. But, that said it is not for everyone. And I am not one of the super crazy cult members. And yes, injuries happen. I pulled my groin, tweaked my groin, shoulder issues..... Just have to be careful. For me, is has produced the biggest and most tangible results than anything ever has. And I am 47.

I’m not arguing against it working, it’s a fairly structured plan with some good principals. As long as you’re consistent, it’ll work. It isn’t all bad, I like that they popularized man makers which is one of the best bang for your buck workouts you can find.

What I have an issue with is the sheer amount of volume and lack of emphasis on proper form. And those god awful butterfly pull-ups, seriously what are those.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Do you take fish oil?

I prefer your method of training to the max effort all day every day. You lower the risk of injury and you'll get more training in than someone who taxes their CNS on the regular.

I do take fish oil tabs. Not sure how much they help.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I’m not arguing against it working, it’s a fairly structured plan with some good principals. As long as you’re consistent, it’ll work. It isn’t all bad, I like that they popularized man makers which is one of the best bang for your buck workouts you can find.

What I have an issue with is the sheer amount of volume and lack of emphasis on proper form. And those god awful butterfly pull-ups, seriously what are those.

It hurts me watching those pull ups. Will never attempt.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I hate man makers. Almost as much as I hate burpees.

There is actually a lot of emphasis on proper form. The problem is that during the wods, it is a lot of grip it and rip it. The workouts are actually structured for the volume. They are scaled and can be further scaled. There are time to go for 1 rep maxes or just heavy lifts but those should not be a part of the wod itself.

Butterfly pullups? That is all about efficiency. If you need to get a lot of pullups in, you can get them in quicker and more volume. Butterflys or kipping. If you are training just strength and are doing sets of pullups, then they should be done strict.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
@True Blue

The pig squats sound insane. I can put in the volume but not at those weights.

The butterfly pullups look like asking for trouble for your rotator cuffs. I'm not in that kind of a rush to get through a workout.

I take fish oil just because I don't like to eat fish. But sticking with it is difficult as I tend to forget during mealtimes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The pig squats sound insane. I can put in the volume but not at those weights.
The volume is tough. By the time you get into single digits, you have already done 165 reps. Most people will not be able to make it to their 1 RM. Not even close. Whatever you can do, it is not something that you can do every week. And it needs quite a lot of training for. And then a lot of food after.
The butterfly pullups look like asking for trouble for your rotator cuffs. I'm not in that kind of a rush to get through a workout.
It's not the rush to get through. It's the time limit that is imposed by a particular workout. And the volume. If you need to bang out 45 pull-ups within the scope of a workout, among other things, butterflies help. Or kipping. Both I am not good at.
I take fish oil just because I don't like to eat fish. But sticking with it is difficult as I tend to forget during mealtimes.
I've started fish oil probably 6 months ago. It was recommended as helping with inflammation.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I want every Ranger to look like a warrior next season!

Who said low fat dairy products are bad? According to the experts that's incorrect...

39293427_10155614271847026_7639407245054181376_n.jpg

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I got shredded.

Didn’t lose that much weight but I’ve got abs for the first time in years.
Read recently about where fat goes when it's burned. It's pretty amazing and not expected. Fat is pissed away and breathed out as carbon dioxide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad