Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Interesting, Missy picked up 10 picks in 4 days on two trades, plus they received two players to neutralize the player losses. That's smart by JR, now who will be in a much better position next season for trading up or filling their roster holes.

Its not about this year in Sudbury, it is about next year. The Wolves do not have anything in the cup board to trade so they will most likely have to wit until next year to try and trade for something.

I read an earlier post where someone expressed that it would take years to rid the team of the "Burgess" effect, they are correct and the last piece of that is Levin...…. It is too bad that Byfield is this years pick, landing him next year would've have been perfect.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Interesting, Missy picked up 10 picks in 4 days on two trades, plus they received two players to neutralize the player losses. That's smart by JR, now who will be in a much better position next season for trading up or filling their roster holes.

Its not about this year in Sudbury, it is about next year. The Wolves do not have anything in the cup board to trade so they will most likely have to wit until next year to try and trade for something.

I read an earlier post where someone expressed that it would take years to rid the team of the "Burgess" effect, they are correct and the last piece of that is Levin...…. It is too bad that Byfield is this years pick, landing him next year would've have been perfect.
I think you nailed it with the Burgess effect, much like Flint, star players (and their agents and families) are hesitant on going to teams where turmoil is/has been present

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Very quiet today on the board after the Wolves played their best game in a few weeks and deserved a better fate. McGrath played great and looked like his old self and the effort level from the whole squad was much better. If the team plays like this every night everyone will be happy.

Still need a scoring winger and a defenceman who can run a PP.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
SSM just signed a Czeck player from WJHC. Makes sense since they are pushing to get Suzuki.

Wow it’s now the Wild Wild West!

WJ

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
SSM just signed a Czeck player from WJHC. Makes sense since they are pushing to get Suzuki.

Wow it’s now the Wild Wild West!

WJ

It may also be that Suzuki is pushing to go to the Soo and might be had at a discount. Sandin might be going back as well. That's what happens with a well built organization

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Tick Tock Paps

Still got some time to add

Some 99's still out there (Kitchener and Sarnia come to mind) that won't cost a ton to add and would help solidify this team

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
For those that didn’t see the game yesterday, it was something else. Pretty much total domination from the second (especially) on and against a team that loaded up and is going for it to boot.
Was very proud of the effort. That looked like the team we thought they were. Now c’mon Paps help us out.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I looked at the embedded stats and there were only 17 legit scoring chances. That's not a really great stat considering 70% of the shots were considered a non- scoring chance.
Did you watch the game? McGrath was excellent when called upon and faced thirty shots. Give him his due. 17 legit scoring chances seems like a good amount to me and don’t forget he was cold for much of the game watching the Wolves dominate big time in the other end.

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
On the ball cub. What do you know about him? What do you think of the cost. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

He's a steady physical defenceman, my first thought it was alot for him. Chances he will be here for another season has a OA, so that will be a plus.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Just checked. 6 points so obviously a stay at home guy which we needed and most impressive he’s plus 5.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He's a steady physical defenceman, my first thought it was alot for him. Chances he will be here for another season has a OA, so that will be a plus.
Right on that’s what I’m thinking too. That’s the kind of tweak I was hoping Paps would make. I don’t suppose he’s a pp guy though obviously. We need that or a forward that can quarterback the PP. Almost sure they’ll be more.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
On the ball cub. What do you know about him? What do you think of the cost. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
I wanted this kid last year! Happy with this pick up for sure, don’t love losing a third but it’s far enough away it’s okay. Just note, one of Bulitka, Carson, Levin or DeMeo has to be traded by next season now. We can probably get this down to a cost of Wawrow by next season so it’s a solid trade.

Candella-DeMeo
Stratis-Serentis
Ross-Phillips
Thompson-Malik

Another move has to happen, that’s too crowded a D-corps.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Good job Paps.. It's a start

Price was okay for a solid steady vet Dman who could return as an OA next season, something we needed.. Wawrow has good potential if given ice time

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I had figured DeMeo would be moved at some point this year. I wasn't sure why Sudbury didn't make this deal earlier in the year as DeMeo was sitting for a while. However a bit pricey but thats what I figured would happen closer to deadline. Now I hope that they make room by moving Malik and pick up one of the 3 imports I figure to be available. Rucizka, Poddumbyni, or Hugg. Maybe another piece for dept like Gaffara.

Losing Wawrow isn't a huge loss since we have several young dmen coming in next year from this past draft. Hate to give up the 5th. The 3rd was enough but supply and demand prices go up. So better than nothing.

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: howlman

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I had figured DeMeo would be moved at some point this year. I wasn't sure why Sudbury didn't make this deal earlier in the year as DeMeo was sitting for a while. However a bit pricey but thats what I figured would happen closer to deadline. Now I hope that they make room by moving Malik and pick up one of the 3 imports I figure to be available. Rucizka, Poddumbyni, or Hugg. Maybe another piece for dept like Gaffara.

Losing Wawrow isn't a huge loss since we have several young dmen coming in next year from this past draft. Hate to give up the 5th. The 3rd was enough but supply and demand prices go up. So better than nothing.

WJ
I agree this should have been done sooner.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I wanted this kid last year! Happy with this pick up for sure, don’t love losing a third but it’s far enough away it’s okay. Just note, one of Bulitka, Carson, Levin or DeMeo has to be traded by next season now. We can probably get this down to a cost of Wawrow by next season so it’s a solid trade.

Candella-DeMeo
Stratis-Serentis
Ross-Phillips
Thompson-Malik

Another move has to happen, that’s too crowded a D-corps.
Yes yes, Candella with De-Meo. Let Candella join the rush with someone reliable back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad