Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Wow, and I thought man had evolved past this non- sense. You do not have to agree or disagree with a call, the way a player acts or plays or whatever the issue is. Stick to hockey.

I've seen a hundred different players do ridiculously dumb things in the past, and yes that does include the Pilons and other Wolves players. This is the game.

Whatever he did, he got penalized, will serve his suspension if he is given one. What is the problem?

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Hopefully Carson and Pilon are not hurt seriously.What are the mysterious ailments Malik and Kiril are suffering from?Missy are playing extremely well and we will need a full squad

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Saw Niz Friday at the game, I would not have given him a note to stay home from school:huh: Could it be a curfew thing or discipline of some kind. Would have to think with Ukko leaving for a month and possibly Malik is something brewing?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Saw Niz Friday at the game, I would not have given him a note to stay home from school:huh: Could it be a curfew thing or discipline of some kind. Would have to think with Ukko leaving for a month and possibly Malik is something brewing?
What do you mean? I’m a little confused by this post to be honest.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
We are 21 games in, tied for first in the division, tied for second in the Conference.

I tip my hat to Papineau, in making the great decision of getting Ukko, who is a killer goalie, one of the main reasons we are doing well this season.

Also, have to give credit to Stillman and the coaching staff, this team plays hard every game, we don't have a top 50 scorer, we score by committee, and everyone is buying in.

They have been patient with this Defence group, and its paying off. I really like the development of our D particularly Philips, Serentis, Stratis and Thompson.

Ownership has to be supported too, finally some stability in management and coaches, we are building this the right way.

Be interesting if we tinker a little bit in making some moves. An indication how close we are to the top teams in beating Ottawa and losing to London in a shootout. I have to credit some our veterans that have been stepping up, especially Levin, he finally looking like a #1 pick overall. I really hope he can keep this up, he will move up in the scoring leader standings if he continues his play.

Reactions: hockeynorth

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We are 21 games in, tied for first in the division, tied for second in the Conference.

I tip my hat to Papineau, in making the great decision of getting Ukko, who is a killer goalie, one of the main reasons we are doing well this season.

Also, have to give credit to Stillman and the coaching staff, this team plays hard every game, we don't have a top 50 scorer, we score by committee, and everyone is buying in.

They have been patient with this Defence group, and its paying off. I really like the development of our D particularly Philips, Serentis, Stratis and Thompson.

Ownership has to be supported too, finally some stability in management and coaches, we are building this the right way.

Be interesting if we tinker a little bit in making some moves. An indication how close we are to the top teams in beating Ottawa and losing to London in a shootout. I have to credit some our veterans that have been stepping up, especially Levin, he finally looking like a #1 pick overall. I really hope he can keep this up, he will move up in the scoring leader standings if he continues his play.
Agree Cub but that PP has to get a lot better. Last year it was terrible and this year it is the second worst in the league heading into last nights game. They show no system on the PP so either they are all brain dead or it is not being taught properly. This has to be fixed.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Ukko gone what do we do in net? Malik gone what do we do to replace his spot heading to the World Juniors.

It is what is, other teams are going to be missing key players, hopefully McGrath plays well. We have been playing without Malik most of the season.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Agree Cub but that PP has to get a lot better. Last year it was terrible and this year it is the second worst in the league heading into last nights game. They show no system on the PP so either they are all brain dead or it is not being taught properly. This has to be fixed.

I agree PP has to get better, they have systems, when I watch our players on the PP, they can't handle the puck on most cases, seem to be very nervous, they got 2 yesterday hope it continues. What is impressive is that they are still winning with a bad PP, if we can get that going, make wins alot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I agree PP has to get better, they have systems, when I watch our players on the PP, they can't handle the puck on most cases, seem to be very nervous, they got 2 yesterday hope it continues. What is impressive is that they are still winning with a bad PP, if we can get that going, make wins alot easier.
Any idea Cub on how to get it going? A year and a third and still no improvement. Last night five min. PP very unorganized and we finally scored with 6 seconds left in the penalty.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Any idea Cub on how to get it going? A year and a third and still no improvement. Last night five min. PP very unorganized and we finally scored with 6 seconds left in the penalty.

I haven't seen a good PP from the Wolves since Sgarbossa was around. I think alot of it has to do with personnel, guys that have soft hands, composure, coaches can do so much, its the players that have to execute.

Ottawa, Peterborough, London PP were at the bottom, I expect London now to jump up with Bouchard and Formenton.

North Bay has #1 PP, because Brazeau, Struthers, and Chenier, etc.

It appears the teams that have a poor PP, have the better PK in the league, so its hard to translate what is going on.

I'm sure Wolves practise it and hopefully it gets better. However, remember we are still winning don't lose that fact.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I’d like to get Lemaire a game or two with Ukko gone, see what we have there.

I be really surprise if this happens, he's still playing Midget hockey. I think McGrath, taken most of the load, Frappier and Bowen backing up.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Ukko gone what do we do in net? Malik gone what do we do to replace his spot heading to the World Juniors.
Don’t know about Ukko but we’ve played without Malik a lot more than with him so I’m not sure that would be that big of an issue. What nationality is Malik? You really think he’d make his World Junior team? I must be missing something.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I haven't seen a good PP from the Wolves since Sgarbossa was around. I think alot of it has to do with personnel, guys that have soft hands, composure, coaches can do so much, its the players that have to execute.

Ottawa, Peterborough, London PP were at the bottom, I expect London now to jump up with Bouchard and Formenton.

North Bay has #1 PP, because Brazeau, Struthers, and Chenier, etc.

It appears the teams that have a poor PP, have the better PK in the league, so its hard to translate what is going on.

I'm sure Wolves practise it and hopefully it gets better. However, remember we are still winning don't lose that fact.
Law of averages dictates that unless we improve it (PP) it will catch up to us. Close games are won and lost on special teams and PP is vital, especially on the road when you often play a more shutdown game.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Totally agree with you on this! I’m really interested to see what he can do!
Can’t hurt to give him a game or so. We already know what we have in McGrath lately although this could be a big opportunity for him if he embraces it the right way. I’ve heard Lemaire looked quite good in camp. Any word on Carson and of Pilon as far as their injury status?

Reactions: WolvesFan

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Big questions for tomorrow. Does Carson and Darian Pilon return. The situation with Niz and Malik is more than what is being lead. Where’s Waldo I mean McConville? I don’t want the Wolves to mail in the two points to Missy! Our first of six meetings. They have fire power and McLoud returns back from his suspension. With Tippit and Lazer they will be gunning. Hope we can play a solid defensive game.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Law of averages dictates that unless we improve it (PP) it will catch up to us. Close games are won and lost on special teams and PP is vital, especially on the road when you often play a more shutdown game.

Lets be happy where we are in standing at this point, at the end the of the day players have to execute the PP.

Ottawa was at the bottom of PP but top in the league, so is London. They have the players to have good PP, so what gives?

I think alot of teams do well on the PK. It appears as a whole if your PK is over 80 percent that pretty good, the majority of teams in OHL, are at 80 percent or better. So its tough for many PP.

If your PP is over 20 percent that is decent, we are at 14 per cent so need improve on that, yesterday was a good start.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
How about this PP unit
Stratis
either Candella(yes passing is a good thing)
or Thompson -great shot from the point
Levin and Byfield on the wings
and Hutcheson (touch in front like Van Riemsdyk) in front of the goalie

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How about this PP unit
Stratis
either Candella(yes passing is a good thing)
or Thompson -great shot from the point
Levin and Byfield on the wings
and Hutcheson (touch in front like Van Riemsdyk) in front of the goalie
One of the three D, and Murray as a shot option instead of the other D. I might be the only one, but I hate the 3F 2D PP, its so much less effective IMO.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
1-1 After one period of play. Gilhula from Byfield in the later half of the first to tie it. McLoud in his first game back scores on the opening shift of the game on a defensive miscue from Sudbury. Sudbury regrouped nicely and didn't cave after that early goal and put a ton of pressure in the Mississauga zone.

The Wolves without Darian Pilon, Nzinikov, McConville and Malik. Carson playing with a full face shield. Ukko with his 3rd start this weekend. I wish we had some insight on why those players are not dressed it would be nice to know.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad