Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can respect that, however that doesn’t change my mind that over the next 4 games, if he plays in any of them we will lose those games(again with the exception of the Kingston game), plain and simple. All that being said I’m not actively hating on the kid, I was simply making a prediction, If he plays we lose, if he doesn’t we win. I am always 100% hoping for a win, regardless of who is in net, I actively hope for a 66 win season. I hope he proves me wrong, seriously, I really do!

There is one time I have “hated” on a kid, and those feelings were really directed at his dad, still wrong on my part, but that is the only time! I do my best to not hate on kids, because that’s exactly what they are.

Go Wolves Go!

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
At the end of the day you don't win games with sub .900 save % goalies, which McGrath has been for his entire career.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
At the end of the day you don't win games with sub .900 save % goalies, which McGrath has been for his entire career.
Facts are facts. Also, as far as him playing 35 plus games for another team, I wish him well but I have my doubts.
I have heard from a reliable source (player agent) that McGrath has been shopped around unsuccessfully, for some time to boot.
Mental toughness plays a huge role in this and all other performance endeavours (try sales) and unfortunately it may be a confidence issue more than anything else for him. He came in as a rookie with no pressure and exceeded expectations but since he’s been looked at to lead he has has had difficulty maintaining any kind of consistency.
I don’t think it’s hating on him (I’m sure we all have great affection for the kids as lovers of junior hockey and our Wolves in particular) as it is seeing just how much of a difference stellar goaltending can and has made. We have been starved for that and our entitled to relish in it. Yes the Wolves defence struggled mightily last season but let’s not forget the enormous amount of close and one goal games they were in where a big save or two, or conversely a weak goal or two made the difference.
I for one wish him nothing but the best but I can’t deny that he has not shown enough to inspire any confidence in the fan base at this point. Can’t play Ukko every game either. Liet’s see how he responds when he gets another start which presumably he will at some point, like during Ukko’s absence at the World Juniors. Perhaps with less pressure and not being number one, he can find his game again as he does have ability.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Facts are facts. Also, as far as him playing 35 plus games for another team, I wish him well but I have my doubts.
I have heard from a reliable source (player agent) that McGrath has been shopped around unsuccessfully, for some time to boot.
Mental toughness plays a huge role in this and all other performance endeavours (try sales) and unfortunately it may be a confidence issue more than anything else for him. He came in as a rookie with no pressure and exceeded expectations but since he’s been looked at to lead he has has had difficulty maintaining any kind of consistency.
I don’t think it’s hating on him (I’m sure we all have great affection for the kids as lovers of junior hockey and our Wolves in particular) as it is seeing just how much of a difference stellar goaltending can and has made. We have been starved for that and our entitled to relish in it. Yes the Wolves defence struggled mightily last season but let’s not forget the enormous amount of close and one goal games they were in where a big save or two, or conversely a weak goal or two made the difference.
I for one wish him nothing but the best but I can’t deny that he has not shown enough to inspire any confidence in the fan base at this point. Can’t play Ukko every game either. Liet’s see how he responds when he gets another start which presumably he will at some point, like during Ukko’s absence at the World Juniors. Perhaps with less pressure and not being number one, he can find his game again as he does have ability.

My thoughts exactly. Amen.

Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
So trade McGrath! What gives. Who takes the net when Ukko goes down with an injury or WJC. McGrath biggest fault is consistency. He has enough games under him to take the reign however I don't care if its Ukko or McGrath in net. A strong experienced dman is needed. This pace will not keep up. Law of averages. Funny how people get disgruntled and say I don't have the right to this and that. Give me a break! Its a forum stop bullying your point of view. Taking things personal on here is not problem I just say what is my opinion.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So trade McGrath! What gives. Who takes the net when Ukko goes down with an injury or WJC. McGrath biggest fault is consistency. He has enough games under him to take the reign however I don't care if its Ukko or McGrath in net. A strong experienced dman is needed. This pace will not keep up. Law of averages. Funny how people get disgruntled and say I don't have the right to this and that. Give me a break! Its a forum stop bullying your point of view. Taking things personal on here is not problem I just say what is my opinion.

WJ
Did you read the part where I said Mcgrath has already been shopped around? Would you trade for him? You know the league well who do you think would or could use him?

Dman aside, Wolves need to be able to rely on a backup coming in and getting the job done when needed.

Reactions: hockeynorth and WaW

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017

WJ
Agree completely that D is needed. Wins aside I have watched the games very carefully and to argue otherwise is euphoria. I am also hoping we can shift the three lines a bit to get everyone going again. I realize that how lines match up against other teams can make a huge difference but I feel like there are a couple of our older guys that would benefit from some changes. Drake coming back will help that. I would like to test Carson with Bulitka as they seem to create alot of opportunities when they are together. Thoughts on other line combinations?

Reactions: hockeynorth

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
So trade McGrath! What gives. Who takes the net when Ukko goes down with an injury or WJC. McGrath biggest fault is consistency. He has enough games under him to take the reign however I don't care if its Ukko or McGrath in net. A strong experienced dman is needed. This pace will not keep up. Law of averages.

Well here's a valid hockey point! I can agree that we need good covera...

Wait, what the...

Funny how people get disgruntled and say I don't have the right to this and that. Give me a break! Its a forum stop bullying your point of view. Taking things personal on here is not problem I just say what is my opinion.

o_O

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Look around the league and you can find 3-5 teams where McGrath would be a number 1 goaltender. I don’t know what Papineau is asking for in return or if the teams are interested in an upgrade depending on where they are in their cycle. I believe he needs to go somewhere sooner rather then later as they need to see what they have in Frappier.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Look around the league and you can find 3-5 teams where McGrath would be a number 1 goaltender. I don’t know what Papineau is asking for in return or if the teams are interested in an upgrade depending on where they are in their cycle. I believe he needs to go somewhere sooner rather then later as they need to see what they have in Frappier.
Curious as to who you think these teams are ?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
heard the same things about having difficulty dealing him (during preseason) from a very reliable source, though at the time the same source did say they were shopping Levin but were not getting anywhere near sufficient offers, yet the Pilons were garnering significant interest.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Agree completely that D is needed. Wins aside I have watched the games very carefully and to argue otherwise is euphoria. I am also hoping we can shift the three lines a bit to get everyone going again. I realize that how lines match up against other teams can make a huge difference but I feel like there are a couple of our older guys that would benefit from some changes. Drake coming back will help that. I would like to test Carson with Bulitka as they seem to create alot of opportunities when they are together. Thoughts on other line combinations?
I really agree with this post, the idea of a Bulitka/Carson combo seems interesting though how the rest of the lines shake out becomes a lot more difficult.

I'd go like:

Levin-Byfield-Niz
Pilon-Murray-Pilon
Robinson-Bulitka-Carson
Hutcheson-Tabak-McConville

it goes back to my idea a couple days back of spreading out the talent and trying to beat teams out depth wise. That third line would be very effective at both ends of the ice though that first line may give a few fans a heart attack.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’d to see Murray tried on the top line.
Murray-Byfield-Levin
Carson-Bulitka-Niz
Hutcheson-Pilon-Pilon
Tabak-Robinson-Gihula/McConville

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Murray-Byfield-Levin
Carson-Bulitka-Niz
Hutcheson-Pilon-Pilon
You'd play Robinson over Tabak at C? Not bashing just not sure if he's a centre (huge bonus if yes) or if it was a mistake. Also, I don't love what these lines would do for our depth, but if the top line is really good.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You'd play Robinson over Tabak at C? Not bashing just not sure if he's a centre (huge bonus if yes) or if it was a mistake. Also, I don't love what these lines would do for our depth, but if the top line is really good.

both LW imo. Robinson seems more able to pass to the left side. He’s faster on the back check too. I also believe Tabak will be very good on the boards

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
heard the same things about having difficulty dealing him (during preseason) from a very reliable source, though at the time the same source did say they were shopping Levin but were not getting anywhere near sufficient offers, yet the Pilons were garnering significant interest.
Not surprised about Levin. Frustrating, so much talent but always tries to do too much and often cause turnovers etc. If he could simplify his game he could be very valuable. I understand about the Pilons. Could be big role players on a contending team especially.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Murray-Byfield-Levin
Carson-Bulitka-Niz
Hutcheson-Pilon-Pilon
Current fourth line has looked really good though. Not sure I’d disturb that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Current fourth line has looked really good though. Not sure I’d disturb that.

Hutcheson-Tabak-McConville? Yeah, it’s a good 4th line. It should look good imo. Three big 2nd yr players; two of them 18. I’d just like to see Hutcheson among top 9. I think the wolves would have a good 4th line no matter

Reactions: MGOBlue

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hutcheson-Tabak-McConville? Yeah, it’s a good 4th line. It should look good imo. Three big 2nd yr players; two of them 18. I’d just like to see Hutcheson among top 9. I think the wolves would have a good 4th line no matter
Hutcheson really has upped his game, always room for juggling I suppose.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Hutcheson has really up'd his game which is why when our 4th line played over the last weekend they clearly exposed much weaker 4th lines and were able to capitalize..eg Erie. He definitely could be moved into top nine but I understand how he is being used.

Reactions: MGOBlue

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018

Agreed. Hutcheson has looked really good so far this year. They moved him to Byfield and Levin's line last game and they played well together. Would like to see them try it another game and see how it goes.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Sudbury Wolves happy to be rated for NHL draft, look to move up

Stillman:
Murray was a slow starter last year, Sudbury’s coach pointed out, but only got better as the season went on – a surge that coincided with his placement between the Pilon twins, Darian and Drake, the latter of whom is currently day to day with a lower-body injury.
“Once he does find the back of the net, the confidence is going to grow,” Stillman said. “He has had chances, hit helmets, hit straps, so his game’s coming, he’s working and he has been moved around a little bit with players, with Drake being out. That was the line that got him going last year and that’s where he will play when they all get back healthy.

So we don't need to guess on this line. Murray will be with the Pilon's once Drake returns.

I would leave Hutch, Tabak and McConville together on a line. They are building good chemistry.

Need to get Bulitka playing with more skilled linemates.

This should work:

Levin Byfield Robertson
Carson Bulitka Niz
Pilon Murray Pilon
Hutch Tabak McConville

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events