Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Niz- sick. I'm thinking Malik, McConville and O'Bonswin healthy scratch.

The comedy interludes from Eastlink's Beech included a comment that both Niz and Malik were ill.

His most entertaining comments, several times throughout the broadcast, involved 'Derek' Pilon passing the puck to his brother! Thought there were triplets there for a second!

Reactions: cub

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Do you think Malik will also be gone for World Jrs? and would he leave Dec 1st like Eukko?

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Bad sign for Malik when Wawrow dresses before him.Wawrow's foot speed is lacking.Stratis,Phillips and the vastly underrated Serensits played well on the back end.I find it hard to believe that Ross is one of the top prospects from the OHL for the NHL draft.His positioning and poise with the puck is good ,but his skating prevents him from closing gaps and getting to loose pucks.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Too bad I missed the game, sounds like it was a good one. Don’t look now, but the Sudbury Wolves aren’t a joke anymore!

Reactions: Lycanthrope

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Best game of the season so far. What an effort from the boys.

Serensits is really starting to grow into a solid all round defenceman. He's already made huge strides so far 20 games in.

Phillips is another one who seems to be getting better and better as the season progresses. Bodes well for next season.

The Pilon's and Carson line is proving to be extremely valuable for this team. They are getting the tough assignments and are tough to play against.

And once again Luukkonen is a star of the game. One of the best, if not the best goalie I have ever seen so far play in a Wolves jersey.

Last night proved the Wolves can play with anyone in this league when they put in that type of effort along with the goaltending Luukkonen provides.

Now onto the road for two pivotal divisional match ups.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
When the Wolves can ever pose as a threat on the PP that's when they will be considered a serious contender. Their growth this year been great, the Pk remarkable. That PP really concerns me however. There is simply no structure to it. They play as if it is still 5 on 5, mind boggling.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
If they were both sick why were they at the game? Any one see McConville? And whats the status on OBonswin?

WJ
Obasawin played with Rayside last night. Not sure if its a regular thing now, but I understand that he took a week off after he played a couple of games when his girlfriend passed. So it may be a conditioning stint. Did not see McConville at all and have not heard anything. He may have been a healthy or sick.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Obasawin played with Rayside last night. Not sure if its a regular thing now, but I understand that he took a week off after he played a couple of games when his girlfriend passed. So it may be a conditioning stint. Did not see McConville at all and have not heard anything. He may have been a healthy or sick.

O'Bonsawin only plays for the Wolves when they are shorthanded. It was never the Wolves intention to play him in so many games so early but with injuries, illnesses, U17 tournaments, etc he was needed.

Nizhnikov and Malik were sick, McConville was a healthy scratch.

The question here is who comes out of the lineup to make room for the sick guys when they are healthy. Ideas?

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
O'Bonsawin only plays for the Wolves when they are shorthanded. It was never the Wolves intention to play him in so many games so early but with injuries, illnesses, U17 tournaments, etc he was needed.

Nizhnikov and Malik were sick, McConville was a healthy scratch.

The question here is who comes out of the lineup to make room for the sick guys when they are healthy. Ideas?

I believe on the forwards, you will see McConville, Tabak and Gihula rotating has healthy scratches. It appears Gihula may have helped his case in staying in lineup, has some secondary scoring while McConville and Tabak haven't scored as of yet.

On Defence, it will be Wawrow, Malik and Thompson. I believe Thompson made a case for himself to stay in the lineup. Unless they go with 7 D, then they can fit in Malik and Thompson.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I expect some lines to be shuffled playing on the road this weekend so that we get some of the players that we want with other teams top lines.

I think we see,

Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Levin Byfield Carson
Hutchison Murray Niznikov
Robinson Gilhula McConville
Tabek

Candella Stratis
Ross Serentis
Malik Phillips
Thompson Wawrow

I think we see McGrath get the start tonight with Ukko playing in Mississauga Sunday.

WJ

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The only line that should be shuffled is the fourth line and even then they've been playing decently. The team has had a lot of puck possession and offensive zone time the past few games

Pilon-Carson-Pilon
Levin-Bulitka-Nizhnikov
Hutchison-Byfield-Murray
Robinson-Gilhula-McConville/Tabak

On defence I can see anyone of Ross, Thompson, Phillips and Wawrow scratched but none of them are liabilities when they are in the lineup . I dont see Malik being scratched if he's healthy whether we like it or not.

Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With Sudbury having some true tests in the last week and coming out quite well. Would it be possible that Sudbury adds to this team before the deadline. It's more and more looking like they won't move anyone but one must admit after watching last night the warriors are there for a good run. I can't see us not adding at least a couple of depth pieces. Without the Pilons next year it will be extremely tough to find that tireless worker go to the wall type of players. Man those guys really do play for the jersey and I would hate to see Sudbury not make this team just a little bit more deep. Even if it means giving up 2 2nds and 2 3rds to avoid losing anyone that will be in the top 6 next year. Thoughts people!!!

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With Sudbury having some true tests in the last week and coming out quite well. Would it be possible that Sudbury adds to this team before the deadline. It's more and more looking like they won't move anyone but one must admit after watching last night the warriors are there for a good run. I can't see us not adding at least a couple of depth pieces. Without the Pilons next year it will be extremely tough to find that tireless worker go to the wall type of players. Man those guys really do play for the jersey and I would hate to see Sudbury not make this team just a little bit more deep. Even if it means giving up 2 2nds and 2 3rds to avoid losing anyone that will be in the top 6 next year. Thoughts people!!!

WJ

Add a reliable defensive D! Thompson is truly a rookie #7D for a good team. Sorry to any it offends, I don’t see Wawrow as a #6 even next season. I hope for the best concerning Malik.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

WJ

Upgrade in the top 4 D for a proper shutdown defenseman, upgrade our OA defenseman (see what the Soo wants for Hollowell or Sambrook), another scorer and the Wolves could be in business

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Upgrade in the top 4 D for a proper shutdown defenseman, upgrade our OA defenseman (see what the Soo wants for Hollowell or Sambrook), another scorer and the Wolves could be in business

I absolutely agree with the comments about shoring up the D-line and I just can't get excited about Malik although he's highly prized. I would suggest Wawrow is our 7th after we add another strong defensive, stay-at-home type guy. What's puzzling me is what we need to engage Byfield. He seems to be spinning his wheels and not really playing the offensive game we expected. Is a shuffle of linemates enough or do we address this need first?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I absolutely agree with the comments about shoring up the D-line and I just can't get excited about Malik although he's highly prized. I would suggest Wawrow is our 7th after we add another strong defensive, stay-at-home type guy. What's puzzling me is what we need to engage Byfield. He seems to be spinning his wheels and not really playing the offensive game we expected. Is a shuffle of linemates enough or do we address this need first?

Address the D first. A RW or C for Levin to pass to would be great though. Put Murray with them as he seems to find open spots when playing with Levin.
I think it’s fine to accept that Byfield is 16. Get him back with Robinson and Carson or Hutcheson

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Address the D first. A RW or C for Levin to pass to would be great though. Put Murray with them as he seems to find open spots when playing with Levin.
I think it’s fine to accept that Byfield is 16. Get him back with Robinson and Carson or Hutcheson

Yes, he's still very young and not worried in the least but it seems we just haven't found the right combination yet. It'll happen.

D-now!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
So the Wolves playing without,

Darion Pilon
Niznikov
McConville
Malik

and Carson got hurt in the first and has not returned.

O'Bonswin called up and in the line up.

What is going on with these guys?

WJ

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
After what seems like nearly a decade of watching the wolves get blown out it's nice to finally be on the other end of it :)

Wolves finally click on the PP! Hutchinson with 4 goals in 2 games and finally some production from Murray who I find has been pretty disapointing this season.

Given the league has soften quite a bit, any supplemental discipline to Walker for his sucker on Levin?

We can all agree the last 2 days may be the best hockey we've seen from the Wolves in sometime.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Hope we get some bodies back for Missy who have been playing lights out as well. I want a clean sweep heading into next week two game homestand.

WJ

Last edited:

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Given the league has soften quite a bit, any supplemental discipline to Walker for his sucker on Levin?
You mean Levin's dive? Levin came in and tried to move Walker. Walker did nothing different than 90% of post whistle scrums and gave him a pop in the face with his glove on. I suppose 28 or 29 would never do such a thing?

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
You mean Levin's dive? Levin came in and tried to move Walker. Walker did nothing different than 90% of post whistle scrums and gave him a pop in the face with his glove on. I suppose 28 or 29 would never do such a thing?

Dive or not, Walker got a match according to the gamesheet. Isnt that automatic 3 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad