Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
1-1 After one period of play. Gilhula from Byfield in the later half of the first to tie it. McLoud in his first game back scores on the opening shift of the game on a defensive miscue from Sudbury. Sudbury regrouped nicely and didn't cave after that early goal and put a ton of pressure in the Mississauga zone.

The Wolves without Darian Pilon, Nzinikov, McConville and Malik. Carson playing with a full face shield. Ukko with his 3rd start this weekend. I wish we had some insight on why those players are not dressed it would be nice to know.

WJ
Agree about knowing about the status of the players. Niz and Malik are supposed to be sick, so I don't know. Pilons have been hurt pretty often so far. McConville has seemingly dropped off the map. Anyway I agree good period after a very quick goal. Wolves have to stay out of the box as I think they have an excellent chance five on five. Are you watching it on the live stream? If so how are you enjoying the echo!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
1-1 After one period of play. Gilhula from Byfield in the later half of the first to tie it. McLoud in his first game back scores on the opening shift of the game on a defensive miscue from Sudbury. Sudbury regrouped nicely and didn't cave after that early goal and put a ton of pressure in the Mississauga zone.

The Wolves without Darian Pilon, Nzinikov, McConville and Malik. Carson playing with a full face shield. Ukko with his 3rd start this weekend. I wish we had some insight on why those players are not dressed it would be nice to know.

WJ

Yes solid period after the first goal by Missy. I agree be nice to get updates on scratches, I believe Darian Pilon is injured, Niz and Malik I remember hearing before the Ottawa game were ill. McConville healthy scratch.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
did you guys see Ross Game Misconduct Penalty-Helmet?, I didn't see it. Got to stay out of the box, a question some these calls.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well after 2 the penalties and short bench has taken affect. Mississauga with 3 straight power plays and scoring on 2 of them has pretty much made this hard to come back on a good Stealheads team. McLeod first game back I was worried about and he has scored 2. But the defenders on Sudbury are starting to tire as Philips, Candella and Ross have taken penalties. The fore check wasn't there as much in the second for Sudbury and created very little quality scoring chances. Murray whiffed on a open net on late PP for Sudbury. 3-1 after 2 periods. Was hoping for Sudbury to close the gap before the third but no dice today.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Well after 2 the penalties and short bench has taken affect. Mississauga with 3 straight power plays and scoring on 2 of them has pretty much made this hard to come back on a good Stealheads team. McLeod first game back I was worried about and he has scored 2. But the defenders on Sudbury are starting to tire as Philips, Candella and Ross have taken penalties. The fore check wasn't there as much in the second for Sudbury and created very little quality scoring chances. Murray whiffed on a open net on late PP for Sudbury. 3-1 after 2 periods. Was hoping for Sudbury to close the gap before the third but no dice today.

WJ

Yes, by far worse game I have seen Philips play, he has been so consistent. Missy PP so dangerous.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Nice try to comeback in game, but team looks little tired, and Tippett dominated this game.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well it could of ended better if the Sudbury PP could generate some quality chances. Playing Byfield on the point has not looked good as Sudbury gave up several short handed break aways. I don't understand why Hutchison isn't getting PP time over Tabek. They have been playing Tabek on the first PP unit when Hutch has had a hot stick lately. Some very weird lines on the PP. Have to give credit to Drake Pilon for drawing a the Mississauga player into an instigator and giving Sudbury a chance to score two quick ones. But the defensive lapse today was plenty and you can't do that with Tippett and Mcleod scoring threat. That was the difference folks. Two solid scoring threats in McLeod and Tippett. If Sudbury could add some depth to this line up they would be winning games like this. Ukko didn't have much help today and I don't blame him for any goals. He made two or three stops and Mississauga should never have had that many chances on the rebounds. Defence was non exsistant today, break out was awful and passing was even worse. That along with a horrible PP was the cause for the loss. Hopefully they get some bodies back this week and get back on track for two home games.

WJ

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I thought the movement on PP was much better in this game even if they didn't score.

Looks like they are trying alot of different looks on PP until something works. lol.

I agree I would like to see more Hutchinson over Tabak on PP. Tabak missed some sitters tonight on the PP, he got to get a quicker trigger, a little slow releasing.

Reactions: bigtimefan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Good guess Cub. Did you even know or remember that Barrie had traded the rights for Totora to Kitchener? Does t matter, you nailed it!
Do you read that as Tortora & 5th for 2 & 3; and, 2 conditional on OA season? Plus, the return of two 2nds to Kitchener too.
The rangers made out very good for holding on to Tortora so that Barrie could get a comp 1st in McBain who hasn’t showed, yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Good guess Cub. Did you even know or remember that Barrie had traded the rights for Totora to Kitchener? Does t matter, you nailed it!
Do you read that as Tortora & 5th for 2 & 3; and, 2 conditional on OA season? Plus, the return of two 2nds to Kitchener too.
The rangers made out very good for holding on to Tortora so that Barrie could get a comp 1st in McBain who hasn’t showed, yet.

No guess. I'm happy that all those Barrie picks are leaving the Eastern Conference. You have to question Barrie management had to pay more to reacquire Tortora.

It sort of doesn't look good to the league that they were compensated a pick for Tortora, now returning to Barrie. Then using that pick for McBain who didn't show, this doesn't look good on Barrie management.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No guess. I'm happy that all those Barrie picks are leaving the Eastern Conference. You have to question Barrie management had to pay more to reacquire Tortora.

It sort of doesn't look good to the league that they were compensated a pick for Tortora, now returning to Barrie. Then using that pick for McBain who didn't show, this doesn't look good on Barrie management.

It seems Ford wastes 1sts and trades away other picks at a reckless rate; but he & Hawerchuk have been around the league’s top five in playoff wins over the decade they have been together.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
It seems Ford wastes 1sts and trades away other picks at a reckless rate; but he & Hawerchuk have been around the league’s top five in playoff wins over the decade they have been together.

they have been up and down, but losing out on some of these high picks won't help them in their future.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
they have been up and down, but losing out on some of these high picks won't help them in their future.

Maybe. The colts draft board beyond ‘19 draft does not look good, a lot like previous years. Maybe the apparent disregard for future picks is the reason Barrie is only among top five in playoff wins rather than a distant second to London over the past decade.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well it could of ended better if the Sudbury PP could generate some quality chances. Playing Byfield on the point has not looked good as Sudbury gave up several short handed break aways. I don't understand why Hutchison isn't getting PP time over Tabek. They have been playing Tabek on the first PP unit when Hutch has had a hot stick lately. Some very weird lines on the PP. Have to give credit to Drake Pilon for drawing a the Mississauga player into an instigator and giving Sudbury a chance to score two quick ones. But the defensive lapse today was plenty and you can't do that with Tippett and Mcleod scoring threat. That was the difference folks. Two solid scoring threats in McLeod and Tippett. If Sudbury could add some depth to this line up they would be winning games like this. Ukko didn't have much help today and I don't blame him for any goals. He made two or three stops and Mississauga should never have had that many chances on the rebounds. Defence was non exsistant today, break out was awful and passing was even worse. That along with a horrible PP was the cause for the loss. Hopefully they get some bodies back this week and get back on track for two home games.

WJ
Same game I saw. Oh and I told you so about the PP’s didn’t I.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Same game I saw. Oh and I told you so about the PP’s didn’t I.
For whatever reason Wolves played a very good first period then kind of ran out of gas. Would need a much better sixty minute effort to beat these guys. Not giving up several breakaways and playing better in the D zone would help as well. I would like to see some tinkering mostly because having Lukkonen here is a big opportunity to win a round or two. Go Paps, can’t mess up our chances for next year but this team is a good forward and defenceman away from possibly making a bit of noise. We get another chance at them Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHell

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
For whatever reason Wolves played a very good first period then kind of ran out of gas. Would need a much better sixty minute effort to beat these guys. Not giving up several breakaways and playing better in the D zone would help as well. I would like to see some tinkering mostly because having Lukkonen here is a big opportunity to win a round or two. Go Paps, can’t mess up our chances for next year but this team is a good forward and defenceman away from possibly making a bit of noise. We get another chance at them Saturday.
I would think at this point Paps must be more concerned about dealing with the non existent power play, ether in front or behind the bench. The power play alone will take us right out of a run for a conference title. There is no excuse after a year and a half it can still be this dismal.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I would think at this point Paps must be more concerned about dealing with the non existent power play, ether in front or behind the bench. The power play alone will take us right out of a run for a conference title. There is no excuse after a year and a half it can still be this dismal.

Yes PP needs work, which you bring up many times, what do you suggest? Coaches have used many different looks on the PP, and personnel. You can teach the PP, however its the players that have to execute, I thought yesterday they moved the puck better than the past on the PP, Tabak missed at least a couple of sitters in front of the net, Murray fans a one timer on a open net on PP, they have to execute.

I do agree that I would like to see more Hutchinson on PP in front of net, he has been hot lately so be good see him on 1st PP unit.

It appears to me, yesterday game they have been practicing the PP with the 1st five man unit, I believe it was Levin, Tabak, Byfield, Murray and Stratis. The second unit was Candela, Thompson, Carson, Butlika, and Robinson. So they used these unit most of the time in yesterday game. Puck movement was alot better on the PP, but no results.

We won 2 out 3 over weekend, great result by the Wolves.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think there’s too much bad decision making on the powerplay. Players handling the puck like a grenade, with one touch passes in close quarters or blind passes behind them when nobody’s there. Also too much individual play (Levin for one) trying to go through everyone. I’m no coach but it seems to me simple is better. Shoot from the point, preferably the centre with traffic. Chances for a tip or a rebound. It seems to me many PP goals are scored that way.

Reactions: HockeyHell

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Yes PP needs work, which you bring up many times, what do you suggest? Coaches have used many different looks on the PP, and personnel. You can teach the PP, however its the players that have to execute, I thought yesterday they moved the puck better than the past on the PP, Tabak missed at least a couple of sitters in front of the net, Murray fans a one timer on a open net on PP, they have to execute.

I do agree that I would like to see more Hutchinson on PP in front of net, he has been hot lately so be good see him on 1st PP unit.

It appears to me, yesterday game they have been practicing the PP with the 1st five man unit, I believe it was Levin, Tabak, Byfield, Murray and Stratis. The second unit was Candela, Thompson, Carson, Butlika, and Robinson. So they used these unit most of the time in yesterday game. Puck movement was alot better on the PP, but no results.

We won 2 out 3 over weekend, great result by the Wolves.
When you watch effective PP cycling is quite evident also a designated quarterback . Have we ever seen the PP cycle? This has to be taught. I have FULL confidence in our coaching staff I am just baffled how we continually watch the same structure PP afterPP with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad