Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLInTheKnow

Aug 4, 2017
If your referring to Papineau, i take him over Barclay Branch any day.

Why is that? Because Papineau is a local and lives in Sudbury? Or because you don't like BB last name and who his father is? To me there were some posters on here who made it pretty obvious that his last name was an issue and never gave him a fair chance, if I was a fan of a team I would much rather have a GM that has been a lifer in the OHL and knows the league and has relationships with agents and fellow GM's than a guy who has zero experience and thinks he is smarter than everyone else. But that's just me.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Why is that? Because Papineau is a local and lives in Sudbury? Or because you don't like BB last name and who his father is? To me there were some posters on here who made it pretty obvious that his last name was an issue and never gave him a fair chance, if I was a fan of a team I would much rather have a GM that has been a lifer in the OHL and knows the league and has relationships with agents and fellow GM's than a guy who has zero experience and thinks he is smarter than everyone else. But that's just me.

Damn, can we please stop pretending that Barclay Branch is anything more than an average head scout who is just competent enough to get by as a GM? He's not a household name people are out to grab, but no one is ******** on him simply because he's a Branch.

It's incredibly naïve to think that Branch wasn't forced into his last 2 jobs by the league in order to provide a counterweight to unstable ownership. To deny that Branch wasn't placed in Sudbury after the Burgess fiasco and then wasn't moved to Flint because of Rolph Nilsen being a headcase after Sudbury stabilized is of the same degree of silliness as people who think the earth is flat and that the world started with Adam and Eve.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Capobianco comes back, you trade/release Wilkie. Ali, Malik, O'Grady, plus Lalonde/replacement will all need to play and you can't do that if you have 3 OA's. Serentis as a 17 year old will be on the team as well.

There is a pretty good chance that the return for Lalonde will be picks with conditions.
Unless Serentis is viewed as a Batison or Duschene temporary type #7D, I see no reason to rush him to the OHL from major midget. He was not good enough to play jrA as a 16yr old, right?
I understand the acquisition of Rhodes (warm body with a right **** and some experience) does not bode well for Wilkie; but, the way I see it, D is the team's weak link. Rhodes does not skate as well or hit as hard as Wilkie. He has been more disciplined though; and, he will offer good protection for mistakes made by Ali & Malik. That is worth a 4th pick. I'd rather trade away Valentini & Dunda. I believe they both return as much or more than it cost to acquire Rhodes.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I don't want to rehash my opinion on BB because i want to move on, most of the posters know my reasons why.

It doesn't have to be about being local, but my feelings are well known that manager should live in city he is working for, thats why they hire scouting staff for, to scout all around world.

BB got his first manager job in Sudbury, after considerable time in league prior, he wasn't high on anybody hiring list, nepotism at its best. I didn't like much of his drafts, also snubbing Sudbury affiliate AAA midget team, after 9 kids got drafted in OHL that draft year. Drafting Joe Bowan kid as goalie who played AA hockey, who is not strong.

Every deal pretty much BB made he got fleeced.

Papineau moves so far all good, from hiring coaching staff, and moves he made so far I like. To me he has the best interest of the Wolves.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You are correct. But instead of purposely raising the ire of several on this forum, tell us what is the reason 'players other than Lalonde want out' & 'Papineau is unable to find players of comparable calibre willing to go to Sudbury'. Or, is it all just because you are a believer in Branch; and, feel he was mistreated?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

No one can really judge BB's whole job performance until we see what comes of the 2016 and 2017 drafts. So far for the 2016 draft, there seems to be strong prospects up front and the American defenseman he drafted are both rated highly for the upcoming NHL draft so it appears he did well although not taking Giroux/Moskal when available upset local fans. The import pick in 2016 was a bit of a disaster as almost every agent, scout and GM knew the player wasn't coming and it was too high a pick and the team had too many other needs to make that gamble. Trade wise he was about 50/50, having overpaid for Jamieson and giving away Trent Bourque but getting a good haul for Timpano and making some smaller good value moves.

Papineau has relationships with agents and within the NHL otherwise he wouldn't have the coach he has or wouldn't have been tipped off to Zack Malik who is another highly rated player for the upcoming draft. His previous work with the Hurricanes has allowed for him to have some relationships within hockey and with watching the league as a scout he has gained some knowledge of it. Moves he has made so far look good on paper. I'm sure BB has more connections and relationships since he has definitely been around longer but WolvesandWings is mostly right about how BB got his jobs.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

Can you please explain why you say Papineau thinks he's smarter then everyone else? Wasn't BB a first time GM in Sudbury as well?

BB overpaid every time he made a deal. 2nd rounders for overagers and players that were getting no ice time in London... It really did feel like a disaster the last few years...

When he passed on the local kids last year I was thought to myself, well he knows what he's doing and must see that Gilhula is way better then the two local prospects but he isn't.... if it's that close, you have to take the local kids that deserved the chance to play for their hometown team... when Giroux came came to town he lit us up and made me wonder what BB was thinking!

Drafting Lalonde is proving to be a mistake if the rumours are true.. They picked there top player that would report and now he's unreporting... we might has well have drafted the Russian...

The import pick was a disaster! There are just too many reasons to dislike BB. It's not just the name. Just look at his track record in sudbury. It's not any good! We are way better off!

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Take this with a grain of salt but I heard Lalonde isn't reporting to camp. He has been fielding phone calls directly to his agent.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt but I heard Lalonde isn't reporting to camp. He has been fielding phone calls directly to his agent.

Well then he can sit out and wreck his draft stock until we find an acceptable deal for him.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Can you please explain why you say Papineau thinks he's smarter then everyone else? Wasn't BB a first time GM in Sudbury as well?

BB overpaid every time he made a deal. 2nd rounders for overagers and players that were getting no ice time in London... It really did feel like a disaster the last few years...

When he passed on the local kids last year I was thought to myself, well he knows what he's doing and must see that Gilhula is way better then the two local prospects but he isn't.... if it's that close, you have to take the local kids that deserved the chance to play for their hometown team... when Giroux came came to town he lit us up and made me wonder what BB was thinking!

Drafting Lalonde is proving to be a mistake if the rumours are true.. They picked there top player that would report and now he's unreporting... we might has well have drafted the Russian...

The import pick was a disaster! There are just too many reasons to dislike BB. It's not just the name. Just look at his track record in sudbury. It's not any good! We are way better off!

well said, :handclap: Remember he had to stay down south at the same time because it was advantage to the team him scouting players, when we had great talent in Sudbury. :)

cub

Apr 11, 2012

correct, I heard media trying to get of ahold of him but he is fielding calls through his agent.

I hope he doesn't visit the arena too much if he jumps ship, it won't be fun for him here. I understand if

organization did something bad to him then he can justify a trade, this is the generation of entiltement.

If he was a superstar he can decide where he wants to go but not in that class. If my memory serves me

correct all the players that requested trades never went anywhere after the move. To me this is really

bad advice.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sometimes controversial, OHLinsiders | In the Know appears to be on a roll here...called Lalonde's trade request, Papineau's inability to trade for established players, landed a solid jab with his Papineau/Branch post..can anyone substantiate the statement that Lalonde is not alone in wanting out; and, what this has to do with Papineau?

OHLInTheKnow

Aug 4, 2017
Sometimes controversial, OHLinsiders | In the Know appears to be on a roll here...called Lalonde's trade request, Papineau's inability to trade for established players, landed a solid jab with his Papineau/Branch post..can anyone substantiate the statement that Lalonde is not alone in wanting out; and, what this has to do with Papineau?

I don't have an answer for you on Lalonde isn't alone in wanting out, I have not heard that, maybe insiders said that but that didn't come from me.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't have an answer for you on Lalonde isn't alone in wanting out, I have not heard that, maybe insiders said that but that didn't come from me.

Oh, your username ...it's used. Did you not experience confused identity when stating who would be Saginaw's next head coach? Or, insiders|intheknow...partners?

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Players not willing to report or asking for a trade out has nothing to do with having a good team or the city of Sudbury in general, it has everything to do with who is now running the team, the Wolves were heading in the right direction and the perception of Sudbury had changed over the last two years in the eyes of players, families and agents. Unfortunately it sounds like they are now taking a step backwards.

Expand/explain this, please

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
OHLinsideout and OHLintheKnow appear to have close ties or are interestingly sympathetic to the Lalonde situation. Implying families are unhappy with middle management or saying other families want out and not substantiating anything you are implying is very transparent. Do either of you two want to argue that Lalonde wasnt given an incredible opportunity in Sudbury and list examples of why? The team should continue to look for the best trade possible but there is no reason it needs to be at the expense of Sudbury.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lalonde was definitely groomed to be the guy. Branch paid a small ransom to bring in Jamieson as a mentor. Matsos took in Sandvido for his presence. Capo, I believe used his NTC to stay for a girl; but, possibly kept so the kids could taste a playoff.
But, the implication is something changed concerning Lalonde and 'others' when 'the person now running the show' took control. I want to know what they heard for them to make that statement.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Lalonde was definitely groomed to be the guy. Branch paid a small ransom to bring in Jamieson as a mentor. Matsos took in Sandvido for his presence. Capo, I believe used his NTC to stay for a girl; but, possibly kept so the kids could taste a playoff.
But, the implication is something changed concerning Lalonde and 'others' when 'the person now running the show' took control. I want to know what they heard for them to make that statement.

I heard Matsos was Lalonde's Billet. Didn't like how he was ousted. Again I heard that through the grapevine so take it for what it's worth.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I heard Matsos was Lalonde's Billet. Didn't like how he was ousted. Again I heard that through the grapevine so take it for what it's worth.

I can take that with a grain of salt, as you suggest.
It's not as easy to take a bold (so far unsubstantiated) statement by those claiming to be 'in the know' with a grain of salt. Those statements can be anywhere from personal feelings to accurate.

OHLInTheKnow

Aug 4, 2017
Oh, your username ...it's used. Did you not experience confused identity when stating who would be Saginaw's next head coach? Or, insiders|intheknow...partners?

I have zero ties to any any posters on this forum and more specifically I have zero ties to the insider, please don't group me in with that person.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Players not willing to report or asking for a trade out has nothing to do with having a good team or the city of Sudbury in general, it has everything to do with who is now running the team, the Wolves were heading in the right direction and the perception of Sudbury had changed over the last two years in the eyes of players, families and agents. Unfortunately it sounds like they are now taking a step backwards.

Step Backwards?, can you please elaborate? this comment has no merit, if you have nothing to back it up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have zero ties to any any posters on this forum and more specifically I have zero ties to the insider, please don't group me in with that person.

Ok. Much like someone's response to a post of yours on Saginaw thread, I mistook you for another using 'intheknow'. Your message is very similar though, you should check it out.

Last edited:

OHLInTheKnow

Aug 4, 2017
Step Backwards?, can you please elaborate? this comment has no merit, if you have nothing to back it up.

It's just personal opinion, last 2 years no player requested to be moved out of Sudbury, and the last two drafts no prospects said they wouldn't report to Sudbury, now your best prospect and player your suppose to be building around wants out I view that as a step backwards. Like I said that's just my own personal opinion. On a side note, I haven't heard that players not willing to report is an issue of completing a Lalonde trade, just have not received an offer they view as comparable compensation.

I thought a Lalonde for Rippon + Pick (s) would have been a good return, maybe Kitchener wasn't interested.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
It's just personal opinion, last 2 years no player requested to be moved out of Sudbury, and the last two drafts no prospects said they wouldn't report to Sudbury, now your best prospect and player your suppose to be building around wants out I view that as a step backwards. Like I said that's just my own personal opinion. On a side note, I haven't heard that players not willing to report is an issue of completing a Lalonde trade, just have not received an offer they view as comparable compensation.

I thought a Lalonde for Rippon + Pick (s) would have been a good return, maybe Kitchener wasn't interested.

First of all new ownership came in 1 year ago, not last 2years. The last 2 drafts BB was manager. BB was manager 1yr with the Burgess Ownership and 1year with the Zulich Ownership.

If we go back to previous ownership, i can recall, Dennis Wideman, Ryan McDoughn, McFarland, Frankie Vilardi requested trades.

So this has happen before, it will happen time to time. So I don't agree with your comment it is step backwards, when we hired reputable coaching staff, scouting staff, etc. All i have seen so far from organization is optimism, and going the right direction.

Rippon didn't want to report to Kitchener who is a reputable organization, so these things happen for some reason or another, so does this means Kitchener took a stepback?

Last edited by a moderator:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
First of all new ownership came in 1 year ago, not last 2years. The last 2 drafts BB was manager. BB was manager 1yr with the Burgess Ownership and 1year with the Zulich Ownership.

If we go back to previous ownership, i can recall, Dennis Wideman, Ryan McDoughn, McFarland, Frankie Vilardi requested trades.

So this has happen before, it will happen time to time. So I don't agree with your comment it is step backwards, when we hired reputable coaching staff, scouting staff, etc. All i have seen so far from organization is optimism, and going the right direction.

Rippon didn't want to report to Kitchener who is a reputable organization, so these things happen for some reason or another, so does this means Kitchener took a stepback?

Cub ignore the poster. He's pulling everybodys chain and getting you guys all wound up. Don't respond and the poster will move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad