Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
The underlying reason why Lalonde was traded has come to light...the way I view it in my opinion is that it was absolutely the right thing to do for all in involved...Lalonde had all the reason in the world to not return to the Wolves organization and the Wolves acknowledged and kindly obliged and dealt with it the best way they could considering the circumstances...GW

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Does anybody have a running total of what our draft pick cupboard looks like for the next few years?

Check out Matt Wilson on Twitter usually has pretty accurate information on draft database around the league @writemattwilson is his Twitter handle he's pretty good on everything draft pick wise

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The underlying reason why Lalonde was traded has come to light...the way I view it in my opinion is that it was absolutely the right thing to do for all in involved...Lalonde had all the reason in the world to not return to the Wolves organization and the Wolves acknowledged and kindly obliged and dealt with it the best way they could considering the circumstances...GW

Please share underlying reason? thought he was given more than a fair shake here.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Not sure what GreyWolfe is referring to but since the parents were so vocal from December on about Sudbury you will be hard pressed to convince me of anything.

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
I'm not sure what "GreyWolfe" is referring to either...I know what Greywolf is referring to though...sensitive and privileged information and would more than justify why his "...parents were so vocal from December on about Sudbury...". I will not share the details except to say that I accept what they are...time to let go and move on...all was done on a cordial basis and in good faith...GW

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm not sure what "GreyWolfe" is referring to either...I know what Greywolf is referring to though...sensitive and privileged information and would more than justify why his "...parents were so vocal from December on about Sudbury...". I will not share the details except to say that I accept what they are...time to let go and move on...all was done on a cordial basis and in good faith...GW

fair enough, yes lets move on.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Whether Lalonde had his reasons or not, the fact of the matter is he used the Wolves to get playing time as a 16 y/o just to take off at 17 and go down south.

Again, regardless of his reasons, kid should be booed, and I do not wish him the best from a hockey standpoint. Ontario kids are so entitled. I mean in the Q, players report to Rouyn Noranda and Val D'Or with few issues, and they're further from most places than Sudbury from Windsor.

But yes, whatever. What's done is done. We got a great return for him and I think the player we got back will still be useful for us in defense.

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
And the fact of the matter is...if it were not for circumstances out of his control...he would be 17 and still up north...let it go, let it go...GW

cub

Apr 11, 2012
And the fact of the matter is...if it were not for circumstances out of his control...he would be 17 and still up north...let it go, let it go...GW

keep hinting at it, and no one knows what you are talking about.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the message by greywolf is clear, Lalonde had good reason not to return to the wolves; and, there should be no ill will towards him

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I guess there is something to be said when drafting Windsor locals. Thinking back wasn't our first rounder Maggio another defender dealt. Now Lalonde. I think we should stay out of Windsor's backyard for a while. Now it will be interesting to see if McConville who the Wolves were high on decides to show up at camp. He was a teammate of Lalonde and both were drafted by Sudbury.

As for the trades. Lalonde did allow Sudbury to fill the cupboard of missing picks. We bring in an 18 year old to replace him who has had Jordan Smith as a coach. I think it will work out for us in the long run.

The Attack deal was a matter of making space. I like what we got for players who were not going to be big impacts for us this year.

Well done Papineau.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maggio showed potential as a 16yr old and blossomed early in his second season with the wolves until he was put out with about 30 seconds left in a 5-2? loss to the battalion in a November battle for 1st. That is when he was KO'd and wrecked his knee, never again looked to be a top OHL D.
The next season, Maggio was dealt by BS during a purge of all things Foligno; except, Marcus and O'Dell (unable to play due to a heart condition

Last edited:

bigtimefan

Sep 23, 2015
great week and great work Papineau, finally someone who cares about the team and not others or pleasing others, if he's not well liked in the league, then thats a great sign, he's going to be well liked with me, Lalonde is gone, good, it would have been a huge distraction, we got lots for him and we'll get more, Lazer didn't fit on this team, he'll be better as a grinder with Owen Sound,more space for the younger players who are improving, everyone is hard on Lane, i predict over 20 goals for him, i like where the team is heading, one more defenceman would be nice, i hope im wrong but i dont see OGrady as a top defenceman

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree on the players. Lane can be a goal scorer in this league through his OA season. I will miss Laser, though; he is a team player with some skill. Laser will be great for OS as 3rd line LW; and, an excellent OA.
I like O'Grady as a #2D. There is no #1 on the roster; or, in the system. (Samuelson?) It is a real stretch imo, to consider Rhodes or Wilkie as a #3D. Papineau should be checking all angles for at least a top 4 D now.

pioneer2016

Aug 9, 2009
also love the trades the cupboard is full of picks now and we should be able to go out and get a D if need one

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
what are the chances the wolves can convince Emberson and Samuelsson to report

Emberson, close to zero. Samuelson, a trade to Windsor, London, or Flint is a possibility if he signed by an NHL team that drafts him next summer or year after. Flint could be a very good team in two years
Talents like those are worth the tenth and fifth picks it cost. Signed players forgo university in their age 18 or 19 season often enough

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
also love the trades the cupboard is full of picks now and we should be able to go out and get a D if need one

There is no (if). Papineau needs to acquire a solid D to surround the core of Pezetta (1st), O'Grady (1st), Levin (1st), Bulitka & Carson (2nd), Ali & Lane (3rd), and McGrath for the next two seasons.
It seems the loss of Lalonde hurts the current team more than many want to admit. All those picks are great if turned into a replacement for Lalonde; plus, future prospects.. If not, we can hope those picks turn into good players three years after they are selected; and, the current core is long gone.
Three rebuilds over the last 10 years with no real success is getting tiresome. Can we have a winner, please?!

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Rumour- wolves talking to the 67's re : Dmen. Wolves have picks. 67's have dmen and plenty of picks to make a deal.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Does anyone think Wilkie is on the move sooner than later.

Also a list of 50 players wil be at camp. Hopefully we will see that roster.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Does anyone think Wilkie is on the move sooner than later.

Also a list of 50 players wil be at camp. Hopefully we will see that roster.

I hope not. Until Ali & Malik are adjusted to at least 15 min and special teams, Wilkie is #2 behind O'Grady. The wolves need a D that can be as good as O'Grady ASAP

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
We need better defense than O'Grady. I would think he would be good in our second pairing. We need better to be our number #1 & #2.

Wilkie will start the season but I'm hoping we can get better with this overage position.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad