Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Again instead of posting the organization is going backwards and then saying nothing. State how and why it is stepping backwards. What exactly is the issue. If it is Papineau ..what is the issue? If it is something else then give examples.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Players not willing to report or asking for a trade out has nothing to do with having a good team or the city of Sudbury in general, it has everything to do with who is now running the team, the Wolves were heading in the right direction and the perception of Sudbury had changed over the last two years in the eyes of players, families and agents. Unfortunately it sounds like they are now taking a step backwards.

I believe it must have more than a little to do with it. Except Guelph, not a lot picks came from teams with below middle league standing. Players around the league are aware that the wolves did not produce a draft pick in 2017; and, that its been more than a decade since the wolves have produced a 1st round pick. Along with skills, size... scouts surely look at draft eligible players' ability to elevate their team's standing. Scouts watch hockey games. If they see these players dominated at the OHL level, they can't project much success at the next level.
2014? after a few years of producing 3rd & 4th round picks, the wolves had no issue trading for players to the team thought of as being in contention.
There was one post here that suggested players were unhappy with broken promises made by Papineau. Maybe you can shed some insight on this, if that is what you are referring to. Are you suggesting it's a personality issue? An issue of perceived instability? In Lalonde's case, I can see instability as an issue...the GM that drafted and signed him, two D coaches, head coach all gone in one year. Many others would view this as an improvement, though.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Before Papineau gets thrown under the bus let's see what the change in coaching will do. If things deteriorate then you look to Papineau. Lalonde leaving may have everything to do with the fear of not getting drafted and lack of development of 99's and 00' s, however that rests with Branch, Smith and Matsos.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So far, only OHLintheknow is suggesting 'those currently running the team' are the recruiting problem. I think the biggest part of the problem is a lack of individual & team success. Papineau needs to acquire a D (better than Rhodes) to give his team a chance to win most games (now).

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Players not willing to report or asking for a trade out has nothing to do with having a good team or the city of Sudbury in general, it has everything to do with who is now running the team, the Wolves were heading in the right direction and the perception of Sudbury had changed over the last two years in the eyes of players, families and agents. Unfortunately it sounds like they are now taking a step backwards.

Ownership wouldn't be the problem here, it would be middle management. Regardless of the city or how the team is performing, the players need to be treated well and parents/agents need to feel comfortable with the organizational set up whether you are a first round or tenth round pick. Lets see what comes out at training camp, if anything.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I say let's see if the relationship between GM and coach is better. Perhaps some of the issues with the GM and players was filtering down from the coach. When Branch didnt have his own coach in place it seemed odd to me. Matsos did not want input from Papineau and that negativity would be seen by players. Now that the GM has his coach in place I think his abilities can be fairly assessed throughout the year. Prior to this I dont think anyone can say much about the situation. It was a transitional period.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
What is the role of a Ken McKenzie at this present time. What tasks I wonder Papineau has him assigned.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I heard Papineau is not well like for some reason.

So far i like all his moves.

1. Hiring Corey Stillman- upgrade
2. Jordan Smith- Assistant coach- upgrade
3. Steve Valiquette- goalie coach- upgrade
4. Rhodes OA- for a 4th rounder 2019- decent compared what we gave up for Jamieson (robbed by London)
5. Import draft- Zach Malik D. good pick and reporting compared import not reporting last year.

Owen Lalonde got caught in middle in transition of new ownership a little bit. However, can't complain about ice time etc. If you use Capobianco, who played on the worst teams the Wolves have had in history but was able to get drafted and signed a NHL rookie contract.

To me Owen Lalonde getting bad advice and was a great situation in Sudbury, going into the right direction this year.

Papineau to me has done a good job so far, he may have quirky personality or something but Barklay Branch was piece of work himself.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

4. Rhodes OA- for a 4th rounder 2019- decent compared what we gave up for Jamieson (robbed by London)
5. Import draft- Zach Malik D. good pick and reporting compared import not reporting last year.

Owen Lalonde got caught in middle in transition of new ownership a little bit. However, can't complain about ice time etc. If you use Capobianco, who played on the worst teams the Wolves have had in history but was able to get drafted and signed a NHL rookie contract.

To me Owen Lalonde getting bad advice and was a great situation in Sudbury, going into the right direction this year.

Papineau to me has done a good job so far, he may have quirky personality or something but Barklay Branch was piece of work himself.

Papineau not liked due to holding others accountable. From top to bottom. Not much to dislike in my opinion. Its about time.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Papineau is a competitive but decent, personable guy who knows hockey. BB knows hockey and is more reserved

I can't disagree on any of moves 1-5, all upgrades at least on paper and I also agree with the transition period comment especially when it comes to the people in charge. While BB was the GM and did the drafting and courting of the players, Papineau was the face at the rink who was the one truly in charge once training camp started. Lalondes issues, if they haven't been resolved, are off ice ones brought up more by the parents/agent then the kid himself.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I say let's see if the relationship between GM and coach is better. Perhaps some of the issues with the GM and players was filtering down from the coach. When Branch didnt have his own coach in place it seemed odd to me. Matsos did not want input from Papineau and that negativity would be seen by players. Now that the GM has his coach in place I think his abilities can be fairly assessed throughout the year. Prior to this I dont think anyone can say much about the situation. It was a transitional period.

That's a good part of it. Papineau wasn't a big Matsos fan and has his own ideas on how his teams should play hockey and was somewhat frustrated by the situation last year. Matsos is a very positive guy who wouldn't have said anything to the players directly about the situation but would have resented any interference. No one left from the old era behind the bench now.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Do you not think that moving Lalonde should be done before training camp opens?

I would think the new coaches and management group as a whole wouldn't want to have this player "holdout" or trade request lingering over things when all the new recruits and retuning players report to Sudbury for camp. To me it is just a sour vibe to say the least. I'm also not saying to move Lelonde for nothing but to move him would surely be a better scenario around the rink come training camp time.

Just my thought.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

I would think the new coaches and management group as a whole wouldn't want to have this player "holdout" or trade request lingering over things when all the new recruits and retuning players report to Sudbury for camp. To me it is just a sour vibe to say the least. I'm also not saying to move Lelonde for nothing but to move him would surely be a better scenario around the rink come training camp time.

Just my thought.

Nothing happens before its time.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Just my thought.

That would be ideal for all the reasons you stated above and they still have two weeks before it has to happen. Papineau is doing what any GM would be doing which is getting the best deal he can under the circumstances. It won't be fair value but hopefully its somewhat close

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Just noticed on the Windsor thread, they put their training camp dates/times and returning players. Oh boy, does that list look awful thin, making me believe Windsor would be "all in" to try to swing a deal for Lalonde. The catch there would be, what would Windsor send to the Wolves?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Just my thought.

Absolutely the wolves should move the 2000 born 2nd overall pick. That would be best for the 'vibe' as well as best for the competitiveness of the team. However, the persistent rumour is the GM is unable to trade for a comparable player willing to report.
I'm convinced that will change when team proves stable and good. So, trade for the best D he can; and, use a (later) Lalonde trade when the return is right to replace those assets +. If Lalonde wants to sit at home, so be it.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Absolutely the wolves should move the 2000 born 2nd overall pick. That would be best for the 'vibe' as well as best for the competitiveness of the team. However, the persistent rumour is the GM is unable to trade for a comparable player willing to report.
I'm convinced that will change when team proves stable and good. So, trade for the best D he can; and, use a (later) Lalonde trade when the return is right to replace those assets +. If Lalonde wants to sit at home, so be it.

I agree with you dirty. If there isn't any fair value in a trade Papineau has to wait it out. We can't be a pushover in this league anymore. We overpaid for enough assets the last few seasons we shouldn't feel pressured to just give him away for a lacklustre return. We have his rights and he committed to the wolves when he signed his agreement. He was picked 2nd overall, was given ice time in all situations and was being counted on to be a top 2 D man on this team moving forward.

If a fair trade comes up by all means accommodate the player. But we can't just give him away. That would set a negative "vibe" in my opinion. Much worse then holding on to him and not granting his trade demand. If he wants to miss part of his NHL draft year that's his choice to make.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I agree 100% Let Lalonde sit out until a trade that is in the best interest of the Wolves appears. Lalondes parents are delusional. It is shocking to me that they dont see the huge opportunity he was given last year. I agree with Cub . He is getting poor advice.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If i was Owen Lalonde, if a trade request has not been made prior to training camp, for his own career he should show up to training camp.

I agree maybe its time to stand our ground, when a player signs a contract to play for Wolves should honour it. Don't trade him until we get fair value.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Papineau not liked due to holding others accountable. From top to bottom. Not much to dislike in my opinion. Its about time.

Totally! Slowly but surely he is beginning to do the jobs everyone was scared or couldn't do in the past. He may not be liked by some because of his actions however he knows to the job correctly he needs to make tough decisions. He is not there to be liked he is there cause he has a plan to correct a mess that has existed for years. No more shall those in the management tree feel safe. If you don't produce or follow the plan of the guy in charge you get the boot. Business first approach will only create a better team eventually. Keep righting this thing Papineau. I have full confidence that you will get this team to the next level.

As for player personnel. Overage players will be Rhodes, Valentini and Wilkie to start. I can see the last two being on a very short leash. Bowmen, Dunda will find other homes. If and a big IF Capo returns then he and Rhodes will make the two top OA's. Look for Papineau to get quality men and players who want to win and want to come in especially if the Wolves are hot early on.

Forward wise look for Soko, Levin, Carson, Pezetta, Bulitka, and Valentini to lead the offence. Murray, Tabak and Baker will be welcomed newcomers. Look for Lane, Lazer, Pilon twins and Gilhula fighting to keep a spot pressed by McConville and Hutchison.

Defence Rhodes, OGrady, Ali, Wilkie make up the returning players. As stated Wilkie may be moved or released as we move on. We welcome Malik and Ross. Serentis and Crowder will battle for the 7th spot. Lalonde is a huge disappointment as the team never did anything to deserve the treatment for him not reporting. However once a deal is made for him I hope that we at least land an 18 year old defender in return who has experience and will slot in the top 4. Along with a 2nd round draft pick that we can use to fill the void of this year or next. Then as the year progresses and we see where the team is Papineau can add maybe another vet to make a run.

Goaltending is set with McGrath and Frappier however we may see someone challenge Frappier in camp.

Looking forward to some exciting hockey this year. Lets hope the new jerseys are a winning one on the ice.

WJ

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Totally! Slowly but surely he is beginning to do the jobs everyone was scared or couldn't do in the past. He may not be liked by some because of his actions however he knows to the job correctly he needs to make tough decisions. He is not there to be liked he is there cause he has a plan to correct a mess that has existed for years. No more shall those in the management tree feel safe. If you don't produce or follow the plan of the guy in charge you get the boot. Business first approach will only create a better team eventually. Keep righting this thing Papineau. I have full confidence that you will get this team to the next level.

As for player personnel. Overage players will be Rhodes, Valentini and Wilkie to start. I can see the last two being on a very short leash. Bowmen, Dunda will find other homes. If and a big IF Capo returns then he and Rhodes will make the two top OA's. Look for Papineau to get quality men and players who want to win and want to come in especially if the Wolves are hot early on.

Forward wise look for Soko, Levin, Carson, Pezetta, Bulitka, and Valentini to lead the offence. Murray, Tabak and Baker will be welcomed newcomers. Look for Lane, Lazer, Pilon twins and Gilhula fighting to keep a spot pressed by McConville and Hutchison.

Defence Rhodes, OGrady, Ali, Wilkie make up the returning players. As stated Wilkie may be moved or released as we move on. We welcome Malik and Ross. Serentis and Crowder will battle for the 7th spot. Lalonde is a huge disappointment as the team never did anything to deserve the treatment for him not reporting. However once a deal is made for him I hope that we at least land an 18 year old defender in return who has experience and will slot in the top 4. Along with a 2nd round draft pick that we can use to fill the void of this year or next. Then as the year progresses and we see where the team is Papineau can add maybe another vet to make a run.

Goaltending is set with McGrath and Frappier however we may see someone challenge Frappier in camp.

Looking forward to some exciting hockey this year. Lets hope the new jerseys are a winning one on the ice.

WJ

Good post. Also being his first year as GM, Papineau looking to build his own legacy in terms of making solid transactions and draft picks and not being a pushover. He's under some pressure being a local and trying to build a contending team year after year. So far he's holding is own.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Getting Capobianco back as an OA would be great. The wolves could keep 3 OA D, allowing Ross, Phillips, & Serentis to better develop in jrA. The OHL is often too big of a jump for 1st round D. Capo would also allow Wilkie & Rhodes to form a decent 2nd pairing. Expectations of Rhodes are way too high, imo.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
If Capobianco comes back, you trade/release Wilkie. Ali, Malik, O'Grady, plus Lalonde/replacement will all need to play and you can't do that if you have 3 OA's. Serentis as a 17 year old will be on the team as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia