Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Highway robbery by the Wolves. Lalonde was given a ton of ice time last year and really failed to ever stand out imo. I don't think the wolves lose out much on the back end with this trade, however they do add a ton of great assets which Smith and Branch had previously lit on fire and shipped out.

At this point I could see the wolves splitting three even pairs with the vets, and pairing them each up with one of Makkonen, Serensits, Ali, Ross.

For example:
O'Grady - Ali
Wilkie -Makkonen
Rhodes - Ross
Serensits

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Highway robbery by the Wolves. Lalonde was given a ton of ice time last year and really failed to ever stand out imo. I don't think the wolves lose out much on the back end with this trade, however they do add a ton of great assets which Smith and Branch had previously lit on fire and shipped out.

At this point I could see the wolves splitting three even pairs with the vets, and pairing them each up with one of Makkonen, Serensits, Ali, Ross.

For example:
O'Grady - Ali
Wilkie -Makkonen
Rhodes - Ross
Serensits

I'm a Ali fan. We shall see what becomes of Wilkie.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
credit to Papineau, did well on this trade, got the picks he should get in return for a 2nd overall pick. And also a Defenceman. Keep up the good work.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Let's see what this teams looks like for a bit before you give away picks we desperately needed dirty.

The pick situation was ok; now, in the bonus. It would be fair to see the D given a chance, I guess. I'm not so concerned about Ali, Malik, & this year's draft picks next season as concerned about the pairings after O'Grady this season. Ali or Malik with O'Grady, Maybe? Wilkie & Rhodes might make an above average 2nd pairing. As is, the D is shaky at best.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully we will hear a list of free agents to attend camp. Might be a diamond in the ruff. Camp should be competitive.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

dirty12
Wait until we learn the conditions. If they are contingent on 2nd round NHL selection & OA season, the wolves may not see those two picks. Maybe, like the Rippon deal, only one conditional pick can be had. Guaranteed are two 2nds & two 3rds. Getting them in '18 & '19 is great, though. 1st round defects go for 3 and 3; so, it's not highway robbery. Getting a #7D for depth is ok too.
dirty12

For example:
O'Grady - Ali
Wilkie -Makkonen
Rhodes - Ross
Serensits

Add Malik. With all the picks and glut of forwards, there is no good reason for Makkonen, Ross, & Serentis to be #6D (this year)

Sorry Scoot. The condition part I wrote looks like it was part of your post

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
It is nice to get the picks but it would have
been nice to let Lalonde sit out a bit. Knowing what he was given last year to refuse to play was a real slap in the face. Oh well onward and hopefully upward from here. The D is still an issue however, in my opinion.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
It is nice to get the picks but it would have
been nice to let Lalonde sit out a bit. Knowing what he was given last year to refuse to play was a real slap in the face. Oh well onward and hopefully upward from here. The D is still an issue however, in my opinion.

I disagree with trying to make an example out of the kid for the sake of making a scene. If all we were getting is low balled offers then he sits. But, if you can get a fair deal which this is then you accommodate the players request. We got fair value here so no hard feeling on the Lalonde front.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I disagree with trying to make an example out of the kid for the sake of making a scene. If all we were getting is low balled offers then he sits. But, if you can get a fair deal which this is then you accommodate the players request. We got fair value here so no hard feeling on the Lalonde front.

Agree. It does suck that a lot was invested in Lalonde, though; he was expected to be a core piece. On the trade itself, if Lalonde turns out to be good enough to meet '19 and/or '21 conditions, it will be a painful pill to swallow. Getting a standard amount of picks for Lalonde was the easy part, finding a comparable or better replacement might not be such an easy test for Papineau to pass.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Bummer, Dunda playing a game as OA in OHL was condition of 4th in Schmaltz trade?

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Sorry Tremblay I disagree with you on Lalonde. There is a sense of entitlement with young players that is really wrong. If he had not gotten ice time like say Hayden Davis with the ice dogs in his first year then I would say yes there are grounds to be traded. However he was overplayed in my opinion, given rookie of the year(a joke) and still it wasnt enough. Glad the wolves got picks but things need to change in this league!

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Sorry Tremblay I disagree with you on Lalonde. There is a sense of entitlement with young players that is really wrong. If he had not gotten ice time like say Hayden Davis with the ice dogs in his first year then I would say yes there are grounds to be traded. However he was overplayed in my opinion, given rookie of the year(a joke) and still it wasnt enough. Glad the wolves got picks but things need to change in this league!

I think you misunderstood what I meant... I agree with you that reporting problem in the OHL and that needs to change. That players have a sense of entitlement and can decide where they want to play. That part of the game needs to change, but it's been like this for as long as I remember.

What I disagreed with was your comment saying you wish the Wolves would have held on to him longer to make him sit out a bit...

The organization going out of its way to stick it to the player despite getting fair compensation would not be well received by the league, the next wave of players coming up, their representatives and parents. If you treat your players badly they won't want to come here adding to the Sudbury reporting problem.

Again, by all means if compensation wasn't enough you keep him end of story since you have a reason to hold on to him.... But to hold on to him just to make an example out of him despite getting fair value is bad for business.

Otherwise, agree to disagree

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Dunda clears waivers. Claimed by the Q. Papineau aint no joke folks. Cleaning out the cupboard.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
satisfied with picks and my point is pretty clear. Glad to see what clearly would have turned into problem solved. Making a kid sit is simply addressing the bigger picture which will never be resolved unless there is something done on the OHL side. Now only interested in seeing what the Wolves do to make this team better.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Does anybody have a running total of what our draft pick cupboard looks like for the next few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->