Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Final 2016-17 Season Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2183631

Begin offseason talk here.

I recognize that our draft picks are slim due to some of the trades that were made. However, I wonder if someone has some info on the secondary draft that is new this year I believe. Where will the Wolves pick in that draft? Same as the regular OHL draft? If so, we could perhaps find a strong late bloomer there as well.... Here's hoping. Secondly, who will fill the OA spots? Should be interesting if moves are made in those positions once again...

Last edited:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I recognize that our draft picks are slim due to some of the trades that were made. However, I wonder if someone has some info on the secondary draft that is new this year I believe. Where will the Wolves pick in that draft? Same as the regular OHL draft? If so, we could perhaps find a strong late bloomer there as well.... Here's hoping. Secondly, who will fill the OA spots? Should be interesting if moves are made in those positions once again...

dont count on much from the midget draft better hit some good picks in the minor midget draft to build your team..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dunda, Valentini, & Wilkie can be a decent OA group and allow the wolves to hang on to their draft picks.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

the u-18 draft has been subject to a mixed reception so far. It's 4 rounds deep and many (including myself) have doubts in regard to the quality of the players who will be selected, however I think it's reasonable to assume that every team will find at least 1 player who can at least compete for a roster spot out of it.

The southwestern teams (ie London, Windsor, and Kitchener) all seem to be opposed to it because it's an added hurdle in their strategy to sign up those who fail to report to the teams that draft them during the priority selection. So yeah, from an equity perspective that's probably a really good thing, as theoretically at least it is harder for players to just go play for London and refuse everyone else.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
OHL Insiders Tweets

3 Separate tweets from OHL insiders. Thoughts?

Lots of rumblings about the Sudbury Wolves gambling and selecting Jack Hughes @ #7. #OHLDraftOHL

Personally, I think it's too risky for Sudbury to do at this point but, we'll see. But I'd be surprised
2 replies 0 retweets 1 like

Also, while we're on the topic of the Sudbury Wolves. Tons of conversation that they are being sold to the Foligno family (Mike et al).

3 replies 2 retweets 6 likes
OHLInsiders(.com)‏ @OHLinsiders 14h14 hours ago

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Dunda, Valentini, & Wilkie can be a decent OA group and allow the wolves to hang on to their draft picks.

Wolves need to stop settling. Why must we always settle for less. Where do you justify playing him in the lineup as an OA(Dunda ). He's very limited as a player.

Wilkie to me seems very cocky and doesnt back it up with his play. Also has poor IQ.
Valentini feels hes good enough to play 1 on 5.

I think leadership is important when you pick OA's.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Walking around during game after the first period, Papineau stop to talk to a friend of mind, myself never meeting him. before. It was 1-1 after the first, my friend asked how things, he commented "Not Good" looking stressed, at first thinking to myself Wolves are still in the game, but maybe there other things in the works.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
3 Separate tweets from OHL insiders. Thoughts?

Lots of rumblings about the Sudbury Wolves gambling and selecting Jack Hughes @ #7. #OHLDraftOHL

Personally, I think it's too risky for Sudbury to do at this point but, we'll see. But I'd be surprised
2 replies 0 retweets 1 like

Also, while we're on the topic of the Sudbury Wolves. Tons of conversation that they are being sold to the Foligno family (Mike et al).

3 replies 2 retweets 6 likes
OHLInsiders(.com)‏ @OHLinsiders 14h14 hours ago

I've also heard from someone that has ties to the organization that the team has approached Mike Foligno. I assumed it was to return as coach/gm, not buy the team but who knows maybe the Foligno's get a piece of Dario's pie.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

I'm not a huge fan of Dunda nor Valentini, but this OA group is miles better then Jameison, Yak and Sanvido, and won't require giving half our draft picks to London.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Going good back to last nigts game/the series for a minute. Did anyone see how many battles we won again the boards. Yikes.

Matos in the paper speaking like he's a sure thing for next year. Wonder what folks thinks of his chances of returning percentage wise.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I've also heard from someone that has ties to the organization that the team has approached Mike Foligno. I assumed it was to return as coach/gm, not buy the team but who knows maybe the Foligno's get a piece of Dario's pie.

I have heard this rumour too. I heard that Dario will still have some % of ownership. I guess time will tell.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
i'm hearing BB doesn't call the shots, its Papineau that has the final say. BB is a glorified Head Scout for the time being with limited managerial duties.

OA's is interesting with Valentini, Dunda and Wilkie. I think they could use another OA on defence that can play PP. Capobianco comes back? not likely.

Dunda keep him if can't find anything better, without giving up picks.

Valentini, good offensive player I think you need to keep him, my problem with him I don't see any leadership skills from him, looks like "a me" guy, he's not one who will groom younger kids. I think he's soft too, came back for yesterdays game. He had a wrist injury I understand, if its not broken you tape it up and play, its the playoffs.

Wilkie, keep him, he does have experience, seems like team guy, can play a little PP too.

Wolves need to seriously look at guys that maybe get released with some experience in the OHL but playing on stronger teams and consider them to fill roster.

Import draft is important need to pick player who will definitely report. I don't see Sokolov coming back, he is either going to play on farm for Minnesota or go KHL. I think they definitely need to take a defenceman in this import draft.

Chili Pepper

Mar 11, 2013
Sudbury, Ont.
i'm hearing BB doesn't call the shots, its Papineau that has the final say. BB is a glorified Head Scout for the time being with limited managerial duties.

OA's is interesting with Valentini, Dunda and Wilkie. I think they could use another OA on defence that can play PP. Capobianco comes back? not likely.

Dunda keep him if can't find anything better, without giving up picks.

Valentini, good offensive player I think you need to keep him, my problem with him I don't see any leadership skills from him, looks like "a me" guy, he's not one who will groom younger kids. I think he's soft too, came back for yesterdays game. He had a wrist injury I understand, if its not broken you tape it up and play, its the playoffs.

Wilkie, keep him, he does have experience, seems like team guy, can play a little PP too.

Wolves need to seriously look at guys that maybe get released with some experience in the OHL but playing on stronger teams and consider them to fill roster.

Import draft is important need to pick player who will definitely report. I don't see Sokolov coming back, he is either going to play on farm for Minnesota or go KHL. I think they definitely need to take a defenceman in this import draft.

Since Sokolov, is not an overage player next season he needs to make Minnesota's, if he doesn't then they must send him back to Junior.

Chili Pepper

Mar 11, 2013
Sudbury, Ont.
Technically, the KHL is another option but it's hard to see a KHL team sign a young player to a one or two year deal.

You are right, but the KHL is not what it use to be. Teams are unstable in many centers due to the economy there, teams don't play in all cases to full houses, and a better fit are NHL players in their last stretch...

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
I would wager the only serious threat to us not getting Sokolov back is Minnesota asking us to trade him.

Honestly we have not harmed his development in any way. He came here overweight and picked up an injury last year which lowered his value, down from the 1st to 7th round (that was on him, not us). This year he took huge strides and has recovered his stock back to the point where it's pretty well accepted that he should've went in the 2nd round or sooner. NHL teams also usually only meddle with the junior teams who own their prospects' rights in the cases of extremely high profile players such as the Draisaitl situation.

And even if Minny asked us to trade him, we would get a ridiculously juicy return package with how desperate some of the teams out west are going to be. How about the loser of the London-Windsor series, or Erie if they miss the finals again?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
A few topics we can cover.

1. Next year's OA situation. Valentini is good to have around to help provide offense. I don't like the fact he's a soft player but his point totals will improve and the Wolves need all the offense they can get. Wilkie at best is a number 4 defenseman and because the team has only 4 defensemen coming back (including Ali, who played very little) they have to keep him at least to start the season. If someone better can be found for the price paid for Sanvido, do it. Dunda is a big body who hustles but doesn't have a head for the game. Hard to justify keeping him with the existing depth up front and incoming rookies adding to it.

2. Drafts. It looks like we will be drafting a forward with our first pick of the 2001 class. Even though defense is our biggest need, here simply isn't anyone good enough on defense to crack the top 10 this year that is committed to the OHL. Need to find some offense here. We will need to find a defenseman in the Euro draft, 17 or 18 year old and hopefully can move the puck as that will be a major need with Capobianco leaving. I don't expect to find a gem in the midget draft but a solid no frills defenseman would be nice in this area.

3. Coaching. You will be hard pressed to find any Sudbury fan who thinks Matsos can do the job. I'm not sure Smith would be any better, likely worse. Two nice guy coaches, time for someone who will hold the players accountable for repeated mistakes and penalties. Matsos is talking like he will be back but I'm not at all certain of this as Papineau will likely want his own guy at some point.

4. Existing players. Sokolov will likely stay. he's drafted from the Wolves so its NHL or junior for him. KHL is an option but I think the Wild will want to keep closer tabs on him. Need to play Bulitka, Lane and Gilhula more next year, need to play the Pilons less. Take too many penalties and aren't good enough for special teams, the might be on the bubble next year depending on the incoming 2000 forwards. Alan L will have to play much better next year to keep a spot, did not have a good season or playoffs. Pezzetta showed what he can do in the playoffs minus the game 5 meltdown, need more of that from him. Levin needs to work on his skating so he can be a better 200 foot player but he has shown signs in the playoffs that he is learning the defensive game. Carson simply need to continue on his path and keep improving. On defense, Lalonde handled himself well getting icetime that other 16 year old defensemen didn't get and handled himself well under the circumstances. He'll be a much stronger player next year. O'Grady did well as a shutdown defenseman and is capable of more in the offensive zone. By default, he'll be a top 2 defenseman next year, hopefully he can handle the load. Ali will get regular ice next year but he'll be playing catch up for a while due to lack of playing time from December onwards. There is potential there for him to be a PP contributor but the lack of ice this year didn't help. In the net, McGrath is the clear number 1 now and did very well for a 17 year old rookie in a 19-20 year old league. Bowman will be traded but may not have value as there are a lot of OA eligible goalies and he hasn't played in a few months. Savard will be a junior A goalie next year.

Looking down the road, there are a few 2000 born forwards coming up and that will create some nice competition for spots in camp but no defensemen in the system unless Samuelsson decides to come here. Perhaps some existing forwards will be traded for help on defense if there are enough forwards who are ready for the O. Next year will be better but still not a championship year. Need a few more years of strong drafts before that happens. Thoughts?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I would wager the only serious threat to us not getting Sokolov back is Minnesota asking us to trade him.

Honestly we have not harmed his development in any way. He came here overweight and picked up an injury last year which lowered his value, down from the 1st to 7th round (that was on him, not us). This year he took huge strides and has recovered his stock back to the point where it's pretty well accepted that he should've went in the 2nd round or sooner. NHL teams also usually only meddle with the junior teams who own their prospects' rights in the cases of extremely high profile players such as the Draisaitl situation.

And even if Minny asked us to trade him, we would get a ridiculously juicy return package

Dmitri likes it here, has a good setup here so he's not going to request a trade before the season starts. Minnesota is not going to request a trade for the reasons you stated above and they're all legit. Trading him is something that is inevitable around the deadline next year and we could get a nice return for him to replenish some of our missing picks in the next few years and get a strong young player. That's the type of thinking that is necessary in order to become contenders instead of the usual idea of simply making the playoffs and keeping the fan favourite in hopes of making an extra round now instead of having a consistent winner

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Dmitri likes it here, has a good setup here so he's not going to request a trade before the season starts. Minnesota is not going to request a trade for the reasons you stated above and they're all legit. Trading him is something that is inevitable around the deadline next year and we could get a nice return for him to replenish some of our missing picks in the next few years and get a strong young player. That's the type of thinking that is necessary in order to become contenders instead of the usual idea of simply making the playoffs and keeping the fan favourite in hopes of making an extra round now instead of having a consistent winner

I agree,

I've also heard that he really likes it here, and unless we're winning the Central (which would be a massive deal for this club when you consider how sorry we've been since 2000-2001) then I would want to see him moved at the deadline. Especially after seeing what Ottawa got for Konecny last year.

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
Anyone else heard about the Steelheads assistant GM getting hired by Sudbury in the summer? Rumours of that.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
A few topics we can cover.

1. Next year's OA situation. Valentini is good to have around to help provide offense. I don't like the fact he's a soft player but his point totals will improve and the Wolves need all the offense they can get. Wilkie at best is a number 4 defenseman and because the team has only 4 defensemen coming back (including Ali, who played very little) they have to keep him at least to start the season. If someone better can be found for the price paid for Sanvido, do it. Dunda is a big body who hustles but doesn't have a head for the game. Hard to justify keeping him with the existing depth up front and incoming rookies adding to it.

2. Drafts. It looks like we will be drafting a forward with our first pick of the 2001 class. Even though defense is our biggest need, here simply isn't anyone good enough on defense to crack the top 10 this year that is committed to the OHL. Need to find some offense here. We will need to find a defenseman in the Euro draft, 17 or 18 year old and hopefully can move the puck as that will be a major need with Capobianco leaving. I don't expect to find a gem in the midget draft but a solid no frills defenseman would be nice in this area.

3. Coaching. You will be hard pressed to find any Sudbury fan who thinks Matsos can do the job. I'm not sure Smith would be any better, likely worse. Two nice guy coaches, time for someone who will hold the players accountable for repeated mistakes and penalties. Matsos is talking like he will be back but I'm not at all certain of this as Papineau will likely want his own guy at some point.

4. Existing players. Sokolov will likely stay. he's drafted from the Wolves so its NHL or junior for him. KHL is an option but I think the Wild will want to keep closer tabs on him. Need to play Bulitka, Lane and Gilhula more next year, need to play the Pilons less. Take too many penalties and aren't good enough for special teams, the might be on the bubble next year depending on the incoming 2000 forwards. Alan L will have to play much better next year to keep a spot, did not have a good season or playoffs. Pezzetta showed what he can do in the playoffs minus the game 5 meltdown, need more of that from him. Levin needs to work on his skating so he can be a better 200 foot player but he has shown signs in the playoffs that he is learning the defensive game. Carson simply need to continue on his path and keep improving. On defense, Lalonde handled himself well getting icetime that other 16 year old defensemen didn't get and handled himself well under the circumstances. He'll be a much stronger player next year. O'Grady did well as a shutdown defenseman and is capable of more in the offensive zone. By default, he'll be a top 2 defenseman next year, hopefully he can handle the load. Ali will get regular ice next year but he'll be playing catch up for a while due to lack of playing time from December onwards. There is potential there for him to be a PP contributor but the lack of ice this year didn't help. In the net, McGrath is the clear number 1 now and did very well for a 17 year old rookie in a 19-20 year old league. Bowman will be traded but may not have value as there are a lot of OA eligible goalies and he hasn't played in a few months. Savard will be a junior A goalie next year.

Looking down the road, there are a few 2000 born forwards coming up and that will create some nice competition for spots in camp but no defensemen in the system unless Samuelsson decides to come here. Perhaps some existing forwards will be traded for help on defense if there are enough forwards who are ready for the O. Next year will be better but still not a championship year. Need a few more years of strong drafts before that happens. Thoughts?

Well done. Maybe some more changes in the vet dept. Fewer grit players. Def Pilons less if at all.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Way to go Wolves

I'm proud of the Wolves and the way they finished the year. They showed no quit and have revitalized a fan base that was on life support.

Already looking very forward to next season. The up coming draft should be interesting.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
I was up north for the weekend and was able to catch the game last night. I thought it was a great atmosphere and while the barn wasn't packed, there was a buzz. I see some good things with the Wolves. They are able to move the puck well, but seem challenged to convert that to scoring chances or sustained time in the opposition end. They were a much better team than we saw in Kitchener earlier in the season.
It was different seeing the owner greeting fans outside the arena, and jumping around inside the arena to chat with fans. Not sure it it is all for show, but you have to give him props for making the effort and giving fans the chance to have their say with the boss.
Stick with these guys. I think they have turned the ship in the right direction. Best of luck for next season!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I was up north for the weekend and was able to catch the game last night. I thought it was a great atmosphere and while the barn wasn't packed, there was a buzz. I see some good things with the Wolves. They are able to move the puck well, but seem challenged to convert that to scoring chances or sustained time in the opposition end. They were a much better team than we saw in Kitchener earlier in the season.
It was different seeing the owner greeting fans outside the arena, and jumping around inside the arena to chat with fans. Not sure it it is all for show, but you have to give him props for making the effort and giving fans the chance to have their say with the boss.
Stick with these guys. I think they have turned the ship in the right direction. Best of luck for next season!

Good luck to the Rags as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad