Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes, these things do happen to other organizations; particularly, imports with good options do not report. He does say two years, two years under Branch things seemed to be heading in the right direction. (to him - he is not alone in that opinion)
Let's hope this change of heart for Lalonde is an isolated incident; and, the issue of established players not willing to show goes away once the team proves stable and good.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
First of all new ownership came in 1 year ago, not last 2years. The last 2 drafts BB was manager. BB was manager 1yr with the Burgess Ownership and 1year with the Zulich Ownership.

If we go back to previous ownership, i can recall, Dennis Wideman, Ryan McDoughn, McFarland, Frankie Vilardi requested trades.

So this has happen before, it will happen time to time. So I don't agree with your comment it is step backwards, when we hired reputable coaching staff, scouting staff, etc. All i have seen so far from organization is optimism, and going the right direction.

Rippon didn't want to report to Kitchener who is a reputable organization, so these things happen for some reason or another, so does this means Kitchener took a stepback?

Vilardi completely understandable I would want out too, losing a spot to CB. Also cost us his brother in the grander scheme of things.

OHLInTheKnow

Aug 4, 2017
Yes, these things do happen to other organizations; particularly, imports with good options do not report. He does say two years, two years under Branch things seemed to be heading in the right direction. (to him - he is not alone in that opinion)
Let's hope this change of heart for Lalonde is an isolated incident; and, the issue of established players not willing to show goes away once the team proves stable and good.

Yes exactly dirty12, that was the point I was trying to get across. Lalonde would still be playing for Sudbury if BB was still the GM. I am not trying to pull anyone's chain or get people going as someone is suggesting.

Rippon did not want to report to Kitchener because of family issues with another player on the roster, had nothing to do with the organization or management team, very different circumstances.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yes exactly dirty12, that was the point I was trying to get across. Lalonde would still be playing for Sudbury if BB was still the GM. I am not trying to pull anyone's chain or get people going as someone is suggesting.

Rippon did not want to report to Kitchener because of family issues with another player on the roster, had nothing to do with the organization or management team, very different circumstances.

To me your pointing finger at Papineau, not sure how you know definitely that if BB was still here, Lalonde would have not requested a trade. I have heard from Matsos not returning as coaching, family reasons etc. that Lalonde requested a trade.

Again you are speculating about Rippon requesting a trade with Kitchener Rangers because of family issues, just like speculating about BB. To my knowledge the Kitchener Ranger organization has never said why.

To me Papineau is doing well so far, from the moves he has made. I don't feel Papineau is to blame for Lalonde requesting a trade. BB was rarely with the team last year, being stationed in Toronto, so I can't see Lalonde had a great relationship with BB. I can see maybe Matsos leaving, and Lalonde having 2 coaches changes on defence. However, with new ownership, management, changes happen all the time, I believe now coaching staff should be stable for awhile.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Letting Smith go made a lot of the defenseman happy, that would have been a plus for the Lalonde camp. They definitely weren't happy when Berehowsky left last season.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
they very well could be high on him but those articles mean very little as they are usually initiated/promoted by agents. Obviously, signing is the indicator.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think a good move for Papineau would be trade for local players like Giroux or Moskal, for Lalonde, chances they wouldn't mind playing in there home town. Also, we would require more than just that, high draft picks in return.

This is an option for Papineau if having a road block, that players he is trying to get, in return for Lalonde don't want to report to Sudbury.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I think a good move for Papineau would be trade for local players like Giroux or Moskal, for Lalonde, chances they wouldn't mind playing in there home town. Also, we would require more than just that, high draft picks in return.

This is an option for Papineau if having a road block, that players he is trying to get, in return for Lalonde don't want to report to Sudbury.

Perhaps something will happen soon. Teams like to have players settled into their schools early.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

That would require a few deals though, the wolves already have a glut of forwards, and and D will still have to be found. Just can't start the season with Serentis, Philips, or Ross in top six's especially when you have Malik (rookie), Ali, Rhodes, & Wilkie above them. Just a #3 or 4 D would make a huge difference in the team's success

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Makes a lot of sense for the storm, right age to form a pairing with Merkley for three years. Oh yeah, both RD. Still, right age
And, Guelph has several 2nds

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Makes a lot of sense for the storm, right age to form a pairing with Merkley for three years. Oh yeah, both RD. Still, right age
And, Guelph has several 2nds

i believe a lot of high draft picks in return, and player.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Cool. Now use all those picks '19 and beyond to get a D, NOW

I said Papineau wasn't going to get full value. I was wrong. Lalonde isn't being replaced on ice with this deal but the volume of high picks for a player who was truly a mid first round talent is staggering. Papineau did well in his first major deal.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
In exchange for Lalonde, the Wolves will receive defenseman Nolan Makkonen, as well as the following picks in upcoming OHL Priority Selections:
•Windsor’s 2nd Round pick in 2018
•Windsor’s 3rd Round pick 2018
•Peterborough’s 2nd Round pick 2019
•Sault Ste. Marie’s 3rd Round pick in 2021
•Conditional – Windsor’s 2nd Round pick in 2019
•Conditional – Guelph’s 2nd Round pick in 2021

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
In exchange for Lalonde, the Wolves will receive defenseman Nolan Makkonen, as well as the following picks in upcoming OHL Priority Selections:
•Windsor’s 2nd Round pick in 2018
•Windsor’s 3rd Round pick 2018
•Peterborough’s 2nd Round pick 2019
•Sault Ste. Marie’s 3rd Round pick in 2021
•Conditional – Windsor’s 2nd Round pick in 2019
•Conditional – Guelph’s 2nd Round pick in 2021

Do we know what the conditions are on the picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad