Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack25

Sep 6, 2013
Sudbury
Pezzeta seems a little lost, unsure of is role, I would'nt trade him yet, he could learn a lot from Yak. I agree with WJ, some players hang on to the puck too long, we could of had a couple goals if some players knew how to pass. I must be alone with this , but I would still consider a block buster trade involving Levin.

Levin has been making a lot of mistakes so far this year and turning the puck over a lot, but his talent is out of this world. When he figures it out, he is going to dominate this league and be one of the most exciting players to watch in my opinion. You can't trade someone like that. Pezzetta didn't look very good last night, but he also hasn't played much.. I would give him some time as well. Other than that, it was nice to see the comeback after a terrible start. Almost had it won also but when you fall down 4-0, taking a point is still good. Another good game from Carson. O'Grady continues to impress and Capobianco looks amazing this year and was the best player on the ice again.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pazzetta will find his way. I agree that Yak will help with that; maybe, Pazzetta was/is trying to do too much with his leadership role; and maybe, he's not quite ready yet. He is just beginning his 3rd season; he's not exactly a grizzled vet. Still, it's a big season for him; and, he looked much more settled from the start of the 2nd playing with Yak and Dunda.
Seeing Pezzetta start the game on the 4th line after a series of bad minor penalties & four game suspension (for a leader) was awesome. That sent a message. It's good for the coaches to have depth.

Four unanswered goals in the 1st period by a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs should not happen. Even if two goals were a result of cross crease passes and another off a deflection...How does Bowman coming off two stellar games completely lose his net? I am not exaggerating when I say that I saw 80% of the net from the opposite end of the rink on each goal.
Capobianco (and) Valentini were great in puck possession again. Carson finding spaces for them to pass to was a welcome site. I'd like to see more of Carson with Valentini.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
My gut tells me BB is going to make another move soon. Perhaps a free agent signing or trade.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The team is like a puzzle right now, and it is just about figuring out where the pieces fit. No need to panic, the talent is their they just have to jell as a team and that will eventually happen. Levin is trying to do too much and is becoming a defensive liability at times. This was evident on the 3 on 3 Sunday. Valentini and Wilkie are also guilty of the same type of play. Lalonde is a perfect example of playing within your means, he is not flashy but just seems to do everything right. I like what the coaches are doing, juggling lines, and challenging players like Gahula on the PP Sunday. The powerplay is our biggest concern at this point. Games would have been decided much earlier with better results. Keeping an extra forward around is wise as the Pilon boys have to continue playing on the edge, this is how they are most effective and add the grit and spark that every successful team needs. Unfortunately misconducts and suspensions are the price the boys may have to pay to contribute in this manner. This years team is fun to watch and are proving they are heading in the right direction. The fan base will grow with more wins, and the bad taste of the Burgess regime starts to wear off. I for one will go out on a limb and predict at this early stage of the season, that our 2 playoff tickets in the season ticket packages will be used.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My gut tells me BB is going to make another move soon. Perhaps a free agent signing or trade.

It's evident Wilkie has earned his spot as a 3rd pairing, at least. That leaves Mayo (19-can't be an injury reserve) as the odd guy out. Bulitka, Garagan, & Lane is too much of a good thing. A trade should be coming; though, I doubt it's imminent.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
It's evident Wilkie has earned his spot as a 3rd pairing, at least. That leaves Mayo (19-can't be an injury reserve) as the odd guy out. Bulitka, Garagan, & Lane is too much of a good thing. A trade should be coming; though, I doubt it's imminent.

Jeremy Brodeur???

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Jeremy Brodeur???

Maybe; but, I think OSH may have had a pre-arrangement with 'the best ever'. In any event, OSH seems to have patiently waited for Brodeur's return and started him since.
Personally, I would hate to see the wolves do anything other than a steal with the generals; they are on a similar timeline to the wolves.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Pazzetta will find his way. I agree that Yak will help with that; maybe, Pazzetta was/is trying to do too much with his leadership role; and maybe, he's not quite ready yet. He is just beginning his 3rd season; he's not exactly a grizzled vet. Still, it's a big season for him; and, he looked much more settled from the start of the 2nd playing with Yak and Dunda.
Seeing Pezzetta start the game on the 4th line after a series of bad minor penalties & four game suspension (for a leader) was awesome. That sent a message. It's good for the coaches to have depth.

Four unanswered goals in the 1st period by a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs should not happen. Even if two goals were a result of cross crease passes and another off a deflection...How does Bowman coming off two stellar games completely lose his net? I am not exaggerating when I say that I saw 80% of the net from the opposite end of the rink on each goal.
Capobianco (and) Valentini were great in puck possession again. Carson finding spaces for them to pass to was a welcome site. I'd like to see more of Carson with Valentini.

The Ice Dogs will make the playoffs in my opinion

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Billoink, what do you think of Miss (can really use F depth) & Petes (also lots of youth, not to mention picks) as potential trade partners? Any of their players seem a match for the wolves?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yes, nice to see Matsos pull the goalie, especially there was a lot of time left in game and they almost came back to win. In past he would never do this. Keep riding the Carson train, he is hot, nice to see him on the PP.

I'm not worry about Pezzetta, he will be fine and I don't mind his passion. The hit he got suspended for was questionable to me, didn't look like it was done intentional but no tolerance on this anymore.

what is the status on Mayo? is he injured or healthy scratch? we could use another solid D.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Yes, nice to see Matsos pull the goalie, especially there was a lot of time left in game and they almost came back to win. In past he would never do this. Keep riding the Carson train, he is hot, nice to see him on the PP.

I'm not worry about Pezzetta, he will be fine and I don't mind his passion. The hit he got suspended for was questionable to me, didn't look like it was done intentional but no tolerance on this anymore.

what is the status on Mayo? is he injured or healthy scratch? we could use another solid D.

Mayo- healthy scratch. i' d like to see them add another vet or 2 the division is up for grabs

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mayo- healthy scratch. d like to see them add another vet or 2

Vet or 2? At who's expense? Not Ali, I hope. Not necessarily disagreeing, I think the wolves have enough excess with Mayo & depth LH-'99s (not Levin or Carson) to go after one more RW with two good seasons in him. Another D (might) be a good idea; the way Capo is playing, deadline offers may be too good to refuse. We don't want to get too far ahead ourselves and think this team (is) going to make a real playoff run. A capo trade could pay divedends for years. Don't mistake that for me saying that keeping Capo won't benefit the team

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Let's take a holiday from sarcasm, personal attacks, calling each other names, and posting just to get a rise out of people.

It is really not that difficult to follow the rules you agreed to when you joined the site.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Levin has been making a lot of mistakes so far this year and turning the puck over a lot, but his talent is out of this world. When he figures it out, he is going to dominate this league and be one of the most exciting players to watch in my opinion. You can't trade someone like that. Pezzetta didn't look very good last night, but he also hasn't played much.. I would give him some time as well. Other than that, it was nice to see the comeback after a terrible start. Almost had it won also but when you fall down 4-0, taking a point is still good. Another good game from Carson. O'Grady continues to impress and Capobianco looks amazing this year and was the best player on the ice again.

Kind of nice to read some positive coming out of your post, keep it up the "Wolfpack25" is on the right path so are the "Wolves" !!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kind of nice to read some positive coming out of your post, keep it up the "Wolfpack25" is on the right path so are the "Wolves" !!

All this positive reinforcement!? Where was this & moderation 6-24 months ago; when it could have been used?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Nice to get 5 of 6 points from the weekend. That hasn't happened in a while.

Levin continues to be too fancy and is really starting to affect his line and his personal stats. I know he is still only in his second season but in order for Levin to improve will be a direct result from coaching. Listening to them and implementing the necessary changes. I hope his play becomes less selfish in the weeks ahead.

Love how Capo is playing. He is finally showing another gear and his command on the ice has been evident. Depending what Sudbury does with excess bodies mostly 17 year old left handed players and if they get a bit older in a deal then its safe to say Capo stays. However if the Wolves falter and no deals are made to get more experience then a deadline deal involving Capp is most likely to happen. That would return huge for Sudbury and bring in the players and picks required for a run next season or the season after.

Carson is getting better with each game and will be our highest pick for the NHL next summer IMO. Reminds me of Kyle Clifford from Barrie a few years back.

McGrath has an incredible calming presence about him. Again pays a similar style to Andrew Raycroft when he was in Sudbury. Will be nice to see his development.

I hope the fans to start to come back because the hockey is entertaining and would be nice to see a full barn. These youngsters deserve it the way they have played. Cmon Sudbury Burgess is now gone get over it.

WJ

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Nice to get 5 of 6 points from the weekend. That hasn't happened in a while.

Levin continues to be too fancy and is really starting to affect his line and his personal stats. I know he is still only in his second season but in order for Levin to improve will be a direct result from coaching. Listening to them and implementing the necessary changes. I hope his play becomes less selfish in the weeks ahead.

Love how Capo is playing. He is finally showing another gear and his command on the ice has been evident. Depending what Sudbury does with excess bodies mostly 17 year old left handed players and if they get a bit older in a deal then its safe to say Capo stays. However if the Wolves falter and no deals are made to get more experience then a deadline deal involving Capp is most likely to happen. That would return huge for Sudbury and bring in the players and picks required for a run next season or the season after.

Carson is getting better with each game and will be our highest pick for the NHL next summer IMO. Reminds me of Kyle Clifford from Barrie a few years back.

McGrath has an incredible calming presence about him. Again pays a similar style to Andrew Raycroft when he was in Sudbury. Will be nice to see his development.

I hope the fans to start to come back because the hockey is entertaining and would be nice to see a full barn. These youngsters deserve it the way they have played. Cmon Sudbury Burgess is now gone get over it.

WJ

Agreed however some fans are waiting for them to falter, and are being cautious.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's easy to agree with that post, WJ. Just one part we differ. Levin's learning on the job does affect his line-mates +/- negatively; but, he does (tries) so many little things defensively and offensively that you just don't see from even the best players and can only (possibly) be coached by a HOF'r like Hawerchuk. Let Levin practice; it will pay off.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Billoink, what do you think of Miss (can really use F depth) & Petes (also lots of youth, not to mention picks) as potential trade partners? Any of their players seem a match for the wolves?

Goaltending may be the area where their is some concern. Wolves are in somewhat of a Catch 22 as they are closely monitoring Evan Fear, Springfield Jr Blues 11th round 2015 who was a flyer. Fear is on the radar and by the end of Nov. they will have some indication of his intent with respect to college offers.McGrath is going nowhere and I believe Brodeur and Fear are possibly being considered in the near future. Cannot see the organization pulling a blockbuster until the trade deadline if need be. What direction they are heading in the standings is still a bit premature and there is no need to push the panic button quite yet. Trading apples for apples is of no benefit at this time.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Goaltending may be the area where their is some concern. Wolves are in somewhat of a Catch 22 as they are closely monitoring Evan Fear, Springfield Jr Blues 11th round 2015 who was a flyer. Fear is on the radar and by the end of Nov. they will have some indication of his intent with respect to college offers.McGrath is going nowhere and I believe Brodeur and Fear are possibly being considered in the near future. Cannot see the organization pulling a blockbuster until the trade deadline if need be. What direction they are heading in the standings is still a bit premature and there is no need to push the panic button quite yet. Trading apples for apples is of no benefit at this time.

Yes, totally forgot about Evan Fear, the direction will be guided how well present tandem will perform. Right now have to give Bowman sometime to settle in and McGrath we know is the future. However, Fear in future would be a great option too.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ha, love that draft story...
bunch of dudes eating pizza exhausted of ideas of whom they'd use their 12th? of 15 picks on; 'anyone seen Fear play?'...No...He is a 13 boot size...my God man, call him!...If selected, would you show? Good, we ran out of time, and selected you regardless
Beautiful

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Ha, love that draft story...
bunch of dudes eating pizza exhausted of ideas of whom they'd use their 12th? of 15 picks on; 'anyone seen Fear play?'...No...He is a 13 boot size...my God man, call him!...If selected, would you show? Good, we ran out of time, and selected you regardless
Beautiful

LMAO i remember that.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well what a nice surprise. After a disastrous start the Wolves came out with renewed vigor in the second which made for one entertaining hockey game. I agree with Jack, people need to forget about the Burgess era and come out and support these kids. The atmosphere is night and day what it was! Crowd was small but very boisterous, and being at the game is fun again. Big test next week, should be interesting. GO WOLVES!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Well what a nice surprise. After a disastrous start the Wolves came out with renewed vigor in the second which made for one entertaining hockey game. I agree with Jack, people need to forget about the Burgess era and come out and support these kids. The atmosphere is night and day what it was! Crowd was small but very boisterous, and being at the game is fun again. Big test next week, should be interesting. GO WOLVES!

People aren't just going to forget about the Burgess ERA. It's still very fresh in a lot of peoples minds.

Going to take a while. I think you will see attendance start to rise every year in Sudbury moving forward though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille