Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Interesting. Peterborough must have got quite a return to move him? Also they must believe in the other guy(s).

A third pick this year for the OA G; not a lot. I think Timpano brought the most value of any G since Ned last season? The Petes current G is a '98 born Oiler pick and their 2nd round OHL pick

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Bulldogs vs Wolves

Well this weekend we face the offensively explosive Hamilton Bulldogs. Stew Kerwan must be in his glory announcing all these goals so far. Quite the difference of calling the Wolves over the last decade.

If the Wolves have any chance of winning back to back games vs Hamilton here are some of the keys to victory.

-Goaltending needs to come up big and not let in any soft goals.
-Limit Hamilton from going on the PP
-Hold them off coming out of the gate early. I expect Hamilton to try and frustrate the Wolves early with puck possession and offensive zone command. If we can hold them off the first 10 minutes and get them to play our game then we have a chance to keep it close.
-All players need to play smart and generate chances and make simple offensive plays. No fancy stuff that leads to turnovers.
-Taking the body and finishing checks will be key to containing the speed and flow of the Bulldogs.

Good luck

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well this weekend we face the offensively explosive Hamilton Bulldogs. Stew Kerwan must be in his glory announcing all these goals so far. Quite the difference of calling the Wolves over the last decade.

If the Wolves have any chance of winning back to back games vs Hamilton here are some of the keys to victory.

-Hold them off coming out of the gate early. I expect Hamilton to try and frustrate the Wolves early with puck possession and offensive zone command. If we can hold them off the first 10 minutes and get them to play our game then we have a chance to keep it close.
-All players need to play smart and generate chances and make simple offensive plays. No fancy stuff that leads to turnovers.
-Taking the body and finishing checks will be key to containing the speed and flow of the Bulldogs.

Good luck

WJ

I agree about preventing the fast start. I watched Hamilton destroy North Bay in the first half of the first period! Nothing but their very best game will keep this even remotely close. Hope they were watching and scouting. I echo your sentiments. Good luck for sure.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will certainly interesting to see how Sudbury comes out playing Hamilton. I am sure all teams are waiting to be shown how to beat that team. They are mostly a big defensively talented team (lots of early picks not lost to early graduation) that is scoring a ton of goals. They were my break out pick for last season, I am excited to see the difference one year can make.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It will certainly interesting to see how Sudbury comes out playing Hamilton. I am sure all teams are waiting to be shown how to beat that team. They are mostly a big defensively talented team (lots of early picks not lost to early graduation) that is scoring a ton of goals. They were my break out pick for last season, I am excited to see the difference one year can make.

I found them to be more offensive that defensive. They have a number of highly skilled forwards. Not to say they aren't good defensively but they mostly impressed me with offense. One potential saving grace is the goaltending. I for one was not overly impressed with Folger or Fulcher or whatever. I say direct a ton of pucks his way.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013

Good luck

WJ

Please WJ explain, what is our game plan? if Hamilton jumps into an early lead Matos may panic. Too long of shifts, bad line changes. Hopefully not as I hope the coaching staff is growing along with the team. Good luck boys.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Please WJ explain, what is our game plan? if Hamilton jumps into an early lead Matos may panic. Too long of shifts, bad line changes. Hopefully not as I hope the coaching staff is growing along with the team. Good luck boys.

Funny. Not far from accurate, though; they are simply superior. That does not mean the wolves can't pull off a home win by any means.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I found them to be more offensive that defensive. They have a number of highly skilled forwards. Not to say they aren't good defensively but they mostly impressed me with offense. One potential saving grace is the goaltending. I for one was not overly impressed with Folger or Fulcher or whatever. I say direct a ton of pucks his way.

Maybe comparable to majors the year previous to their memorial cup run. The team was built on big defensively responsible. smart players. Just my view after watching Belleville/Hamilton closely during their re-build. Or, simply a team that was built by Burnett now matured and plays more offensively under new coaches.

Last edited:

Chili Pepper

Mar 11, 2013
Sudbury, Ont.
Game plan against the bulldogs

#1 Stay out of the Box!
#2 Get off the blocks fast and outshoot them as we seem to , let opposing team get the early jump.
#3 We have speed let's use it specially down the middle.
#4 Get Levin to move the puck and pass it rather than trying to go end to end.
We have some sand paper now let's get under the skin quickly but smart.
Let's hear that Horn lots!!!
Coaching seems to have improved specially in the backend....
Well just a few observations which could bring positive results.
Go Wolves Go!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes the horn is awesome but I kind of miss the Wolf howl..

Is it still not there? I think I faintly hear it because I'm partially deaf from the horn:) maybe I just think I hear it because I am accustomed to hearing it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The refs turned a potential white wash into a game. 8PP-1PP! I'm not sure I've ever seen such a margin.
Can some one explain the icing/no change rule and how it's enforced; if there is indeed a rule? Sometimes I think it is enforced; other times; I know that it is not.
It seems like a bad rule for this level. I cringed when I saw 3 rookies forced to face off in their end against a fresh group of 19 & 20 yr olds. Not a good idea for a league that promotes player safety

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Is it still not there? I think I faintly hear it because I'm partially deaf from the horn:) maybe I just think I hear it because I am accustomed to hearing it.

Ha. A friend and I were talking. How about the horn twice. Then maybe after..or right after the faceoff the howl? Might suggest it to Dario. What do you think?

By the way...what a game!! Man all those who were not there, did you miss a hockey game!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The refs turned a potential white wash into a game. 8PP-1PP! I'm not sure I've ever seen such a margin.
Can some one explain the icing/no change rule and how it's enforced; if there is indeed a rule? Sometimes I think it is enforced; other times; I know that it is not.
It seems like a bad rule for this level. I cringed when I saw 3 rookies forced to face off in their end against a fresh group of 19 & 20 yr olds. Not a good idea for a league that promotes player safety

Having watched a ton of junior games and knowing the difference between sour grapes and a genuine beef let me tell you, I agree in spades! Were these guys paid off??

Brutal job and the Wolves prevailed in spite of these clowns!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It will certainly interesting to see how Sudbury comes out playing Hamilton. I am sure all teams are waiting to be shown how to beat that team.

The Attack beat them a few weeks ago by shooting early and often. And limiting chances the other way.

They built a big lead, then almost gave it up.

Your goalie needs to come up big, and your team maintain composure and stay out of the box . Or they'll burn you. They won't be intimidated.

It was a high scoring game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Attack beat them a few weeks ago by shooting early and often. And limiting chances the other way.

They built a big lead, then almost gave it up.

Your goalie needs to come up big, and your team maintain composure and stay out of the box . Or they'll burn you. They won't be intimidated.

It was a high scoring game.

That is pretty close to how the game played out last night. The wolves got out to a big lead; then, took (all) the penalties losing momentum and needing a couple of saves. 6-4 is a fairly high scoring game

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
diry12- do you sleep or have the app on your phone ? seems your always here , good for you sir :laugh:

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I didn't get to see the game due to I was working out of town, I was pleasantly surprise to hear about our win against Hamilton. It was great to see how Matsos even up his lines, 4 strong line, makes it easier to roll them and they can play against any match up. I believe Moxam is great addition, i'm sure he has helped with input on line combinations.

Pilon twins, are great dynamic with grit, tenacity, physical play and skill, many question why on team, but they are exactly what Wolves needed. I did see both play with Levin, and they look good has a line combo.

not sure what attendance was at game, but encourage everyone to go to game and show your support.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
diry12- do you sleep or have the app on your phone ? seems your always here , good for you sir :laugh:

Ha! :) yeah, early to bed and earlier to rise. With the youngest off to school, gardening & baseball season over, football 2/3 hours per week max, NHL aversion since lockout/strike, and a damaged ulnar preventing (all) play this year; OHL information has become the (safe) obsession for my compulsive nature.
The cool part is that I am a fan of a team for the first time in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->