Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Lots of questions already in this off season. Who do the Wolves draft? Who stays and who goes player wise? Who is coming in and which 98 or 99 prospects should be signed? Also, where are the graduating players going next year?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Getting Searles signed should be/probably is a priority. All the other unsigned prospects will probably have to wait until pre-season and really impress before having a chance to be signed.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Just read Giffens article in the Sudbury Star, not the most interesting read as there are much more interesting stories he could be reporting. I would hazard a guess most of your readers would love to hear from the owner and his views going forward. Maybe you could drop your guard, roll up your pant cuffs, and try treading into a little deeper water and get the story people want.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That would be nice. Maybe next week. Trade window for picks opens a week prior to draft, I think.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Just read Giffens article in the Sudbury Star, not the most interesting read as there are much more interesting stories he could be reporting. I would hazard a guess most of your readers would love to hear from the owner and his views going forward. Maybe you could drop your guard, roll up your pant cuffs, and try treading into a little deeper water and get the story people want.

Totally agree, Giffens articles are mostly garbage and no sustainability. At this point Sudbury Wolves
fans, want to hear what is the future plans for the team. Upcoming OHL draft on April 9, what direction is
the team going in selecting players in the draft. Also, upcoming European draft we should get a strong pick there too. It still bothers me that Barclay Branch managing from down south, totally don't agree. We rarely get any feedback from Barclay Branch because he's not around readily.

This will be a strong draft, if possible, deal some veterans for decent draft picks to get some quality picks in this draft. Next season, i believe can be a long one if we don't address defence and goaltending. I remember the time we drafted Staal, McQuaid,D'Aversa. and Lamb, all started in the first year as rookies and did quite well, eventually made OHL final with 3 out of the four, trading Lamb, few season before. Credit to Mike Foligno who had guts to do that because many coaches wouldn't but he assessed the talent well, and developed them very well.

Wolves the last few years, very soft, time to bring players in that can play physical and both ends of the ice. Many nights looks like a shinny game, to me this reflects the coaching staff. Especially, defenceman who don't play physical, and don't put any fear to the opposition.

i think we maybe in for long season again, if we don't change coaching staff, way too many nights players making same mistakes and not addressed during the game. Coaching is done on the bench during the course of the game. I rarely see him talking to his players during the game and correcting any errors, to me this is coaching. Also way to loyal to his goaltenders, many nights will leave the goalie in when getting blowed out.

Very important draft for the Wolves, the 2012 draft on most part disasterous and we are still paying for it. Last year draft was solid i believe, lets get this one right even better.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The team is soft. Hopefully, it's adressed in the draft and by some maturing players. I don't think very many teams make their draft plans public; it would be nice for us, though. As far as the upcoming draft goes, the only way to acquire more and/or better picks is to forego future picks. Players will be allowed to be traded again mid summer

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just checked that 2003 draft, Cub. It was a good one; Staal, Lamb, D'Aversa was 17yr old pick, and N.Filigno 6th rnd! That was Pouliot's first season too. Tough year; but, lots to build from.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Possibly Mr Giffen could get a little insight from the owner, think that may be tooooo deep of water for Giffen to want to tread in as that might take some balls.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Possibly Mr Giffen could get a little insight from the owner, think that may be tooooo deep of water for Giffen to want to tread in as that might take some balls.

Giffen was quick to write that CB deserved to be on the team, where he lost total credibility, newspaper in Sudbury has no balls. It took the Sault Star to break story on debacle of CB being on the Sudbury Wolves. Thats a newspaper that has balls.

Burgess been hiding for awhile, I'm sure he will pop up prior to the draft.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Giffen was quick to write that CB deserved to be on the team, where he lost total credibility, newspaper in Sudbury has no balls. It took the Sault Star to break story on debacle of CB being on the Sudbury Wolves. Thats a newspaper that has balls.

Burgess been hiding for awhile, I'm sure he will pop up prior to the draft.

Why would he show? Does he have another minor midget in the family?:laugh:

woofer

Apr 1, 2014
....just when I thought...

Why would he show? Does he have another minor midget in the family?:laugh:
.....this thread would slowly wither away into oblivion....just like the club has....
woofer....p.s...:laugh:....

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
Totally agree, Giffens articles are mostly garbage and no sustainability. At this point Sudbury Wolves
fans, want to hear what is the future plans for the team. Upcoming OHL draft on April 9, what direction is
the team going in selecting players in the draft. Also, upcoming European draft we should get a strong pick there too. It still bothers me that Barclay Branch managing from down south, totally don't agree. We rarely get any feedback from Barclay Branch because he's not around readily.

This will be a strong draft, if possible, deal some veterans for decent draft picks to get some quality picks in this draft. Next season, i believe can be a long one if we don't address defence and goaltending. I remember the time we drafted Staal, McQuaid,D'Aversa. and Lamb, all started in the first year as rookies and did quite well, eventually made OHL final with 3 out of the four, trading Lamb, few season before. Credit to Mike Foligno who had guts to do that because many coaches wouldn't but he assessed the talent well, and developed them very well.

Wolves the last few years, very soft, time to bring players in that can play physical and both ends of the ice. Many nights looks like a shinny game, to me this reflects the coaching staff. Especially, defenceman who don't play physical, and don't put any fear to the opposition.

i think we maybe in for long season again, if we don't change coaching staff, way too many nights players making same mistakes and not addressed during the game. Coaching is done on the bench during the course of the game. I rarely see him talking to his players during the game and correcting any errors, to me this is coaching. Also way to loyal to his goaltenders, many nights will leave the goalie in when getting blowed out.

Very important draft for the Wolves, the 2012 draft on most part disasterous and we are still paying for it. Last year draft was solid i believe, lets get this one right even better.

Cub great post. One thing missing is Mangement better address the OA situation, cause we better get at least the same productions that we got from Aagaard, Murphy and Derochers. or there will be problems and do not see were our current OA situation comes anything close to that. Also nothing will change with this team until there is NEW ownership, no doubt there is some good YOUNG Talent, but they have to be developed and coached, I mean there were times last year when I was shaking my head watching Levin and Sokolov taking 2 and 3 minute shifts, just unheard of at the OHl Level and you cannot be doing that without repercussions.

Maybe Burgess will offer Knoblauch from ERIE 20% ownership of the team and pay him $150,000 a year if he leaves Erie to come to Sudbury Hey one guy we might want to add to our OA Roster is Howler, does anyone have Howler's Stat's, at least he shows up everynight.

mobile

Feb 23, 2012
Cub great post. One thing missing is Mangement better address the OA situation, cause we better get at least the same productions that we got from Aagaard, Murphy and Derochers. or there will be problems and do not see were our current OA situation comes anything close to that. Also nothing will change with this team until there is NEW ownership, no doubt there is some good YOUNG Talent, but they have to be developed and coached, I mean there were times last year when I was shaking my head watching Levin and Sokolov taking 2 and 3 minute shifts, just unheard of at the OHl Level and you cannot be doing that without repercussions.

Maybe Burgess will offer Knoblauch from ERIE 20% ownership of the team and pay him $150,000 a year if he leaves Erie to come to Sudbury Hey one guy we might want to add to our OA Roster is Howler, does anyone have Howler's Stat's, at least he shows up everynight.

Rumors are Howler has an offer in to buy the team!!:nod::handclap:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wonder why there is concern about replacing last year's OA offensive production. The OAs totalled 54 goals & 119 pts in 204 games; that's 0.583pts/game for 3 OA forwards that got top PP minutes. For about 2/3 of the season, an OA also took up an import spot. Really, i think it would difficult to assemble a less productive group of OA & import forwards than the four 20 yr olds the wolves employed last season.
Love Deroshers for what he brought and Aagard was the wolves best over all forward; but, Niagara replaced the two spots Aagard occupied with Harper & Jenys, and are a better team for it.
Schmalz can replace Aagards 55 pts and provide a big presence. Hopefully, the two other OA and import spots can help lower that horrible goals against total. Sokolov, Lyszczaarcyk, Levin, Valentini, pezzetta, & Capobianco, among others, will all produce more offense than last season.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I wonder why there is concern about replacing last year's OA offensive production. The OAs totalled 54 goals & 119 pts in 204 games; that's 0.583pts/game for 3 OA forwards that got top PP minutes. For about 2/3 of the season, an OA also took up an import spot. Really, i think it would difficult to assemble a less productive group of OA & import forwards than the four 20 yr olds the wolves employed last season.
Love Deroshers for what he brought and Aagard was the wolves best over all forward; but, Niagara replaced the two spots Aagard occupied with Harper & Jenys, and are a better team for it.
Schmalz can replace Aagards 55 pts and provide a big presence. Hopefully, the two other OA and import spots can help lower that horrible goals against total. Sokolov, Lyszczaarcyk, Levin, Valentini, pezzetta, & Capobianco, among others, will all produce more offense than last season.

My concern right now is who will be their 1st round pick.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would be shocked if Niznhikov is not selected by the Wolves if Guelph opts for Merkley with their first overall pick. This kid will be an NHL first rounder if he is developed properly. Lots of rumour floating around at the OHL cup that Foligno will be returning to the OHL. Take it for what it is worth. Maybe the rumours of a sale back in Dec. and announced in June has some merit. We have all been down this road before, not trying to raise every ones hopes but could there be a little light at the end of the tunnel?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Nizhinkov is the right pick too; then, follow up with a bunch of D.
I would love to see a Foligno ownership group and/or coach. Mike is around quite a bit; it wouldn't surprise me to see him back in the wolves organization given the oppurtunity.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Are you Matt Schmalz's dad? It is the only explanation I can see for your continued praise and faith in a player who has underachieved from day one.
Can't give or receive a pass.
Hasn't learned how to bodycheck.
Rarely backchecks unless the opposition skates within reach.
Always coasts back to the bench on line changes.
Has one inside/outside move that enabled him to score 20+ goals by Christmas last year and then nothing after, once the opposing defence figured it out.
Incredibly easy to knock off the puck.
Won't stand in front of the net on the PP.
Oh yeah, and a -56 on the season!
I'd trade him for a bag of hockey pucks tomorrow.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Are you Matt Schmalz's dad? It is the only explanation I can see for your continued praise and faith in a player who has underachieved from day one.
Has one inside/outside move that enabled him to score 20+ goals by Christmas last year and then nothing after, once the opposing defence figured it out.

Schmalz has a lot to work on for sure. At least he's an improvement on the North American OAs from last season, and doesn't take up an import spot

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Schmalz has a lot to work on for sure. At least he's an improvement on the North American OAs from last season, and doesn't take up an import spot

He's really not an improvement. The team is actively worse with him on the ice.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

He definately took a big step backwards in his development last season, where he should of been leading the team. To me all your great points, reflects a lot on coaching, how does this fester throughout the season and never corrected boggles my mind. The sad thing is he has all the physical attributes but lacks on the smarts of the game. If he can combine the Brains and Brawn, imagine what he can be. Its too bad he is in OA year next season, just shows how the organization has failed in his development.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Agreed on Schmalz... potential.. wasted.

What I found interesting was the Barclay comments in the SS. In terms of discussing coaching, he side-stepped it to say the focus is strictly on the draft at this time. To me, that's not a ringing endorsement and states via omission that change could be coming... I can hope can't I?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Agreed on Schmalz... potential.. wasted.

What I found interesting was the Barclay comments in the SS. In terms of discussing coaching, he side-stepped it to say the focus is strictly on the draft at this time. To me, that's not a ringing endorsement and states via omission that change could be coming... I can hope can't I?

IMO BB would want his own coaching staff, it all depends if ownership stays clear or gives him the ok to make the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad