Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think a lot of you are forgetting about Jim Bedard. One of the best goalies the Sudbury Wolves ever had and from the best team the Wolves ever had.

Moving on to the line up now that everyone is back with the exception of Pezzetta who returns in Sunday afternoons contest. Hopefully his last suspension of the season. We really need him to be a leader and deserving of that letter.

Lazer Levin Sokolov
Dunda Pezzetta Yak
Pilon Valentini Pilon
Carson Garagan Gilhula
Lane Butlika Baker

IMO i would send down Gilhula and insert Lane. Lane has incredible hands and can chip in on the score sheet and maybe be inserted in the other three lines to fill for injuries. I think he is pure goal scorer and better to get him in games now. He is 17 so now is the time to get him going. I never understood the Wolves when they selected Butlika. He was another small forward after picking Levin. I think the brass really messed up when it came to selecting their second pick. Many other players were available Enstiwille from Hamilton being the most notable. Proner from Saginaw. Those were players I thought Sudbury would have taken especially since the 4th selection was another smallish forward in Lane. Carson was a great selection with the 3rd pick. I think the Wolves may make another deal involving Butilka and getting another defender. Maybe sending Wilkie or Mayo in the deal and getting back an 18 year old with a pick.

One other observation about our forward group is that everyone returns next season with the exception of Yak. Dunda will fill an OA spot. So dealing Butilka makes sense to improve the backend and help the Wolves from those who depart most notably Jamiseon, Capibianco, Wilikie, Mayo. And the draft should bring in another defender with the first pick. Our forward group will bring in Baker full time along with McConville. Add in Hutchison possibly as well and other draft picks. Player personnel won't be a problem moving into next season.

WJ

Those lines look right, I might prefer a switch of lines for Pazzetta & Valentini.
I'd agree (past agreed) with your allocation of Lane; there's got to be a reason he hasn't had shot on RW? After all, Lasor RW? C'mon man; that's not right!
On Bulitka, he really hasn't seemed out of place the last two home contests; and, he looks/plays bigger than I could have imagined at this point. I would be hesitant to move him or Lane over Garagan; unless, two of those three were moved for a high end D or RW with a couple of years of eligibility

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Had a chance to follow the blog online today. Plenty of questions around season tickets and the new arena.

Owner says he wont be in Barrie but will speak to boys before departing. Says a new team bus is on its away. Is informed if changes are pending with players.

They didnt get to my question which was, open to changes behind the bench if needed this year, and when will hear from Papineau on his role and plan moving forward.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Of course, a person would bring up the topic of drafting local kids during a live blog with the new owner. This should not be a topic. There are about 4M people Niagara to Oshawa; 200K in greater Sudbury. Considering that Sudbury generally does not produce even as many OHL calibre players as SSM, just leave it alone, man.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
"I think a lot of you are forgetting about Jim Bedard. One of the best goalies the Sudbury Wolves ever had and from the best team the Wolves ever had".

Didn't forget about Bedard Jack. Good goalie but no Beaupre.

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
Trading Bulitka would be a mistake...a huge mistake...another one to add to the long list that the manager has created to date...unfortunately people who have not watched the last two home games did not see and therefore cannot judge Bulitka's worth/value on this all so fragile team...he plays much more mature than his age and for the number of OHL games he has played so far...he was calm and steady...well positioned and responsible defensively...didn't back down when he was roughed-up and stood his ground...played on the PK and did well on the face-offs...no goals against were scored while he was on the ice...very sound and high hockey IQ...a lot more than other rookies and second year players IMHO...the totally embarrassing loss on Sunday past was squarely the fault of the inept coach who continues and will continue to be ill prepared for games and therefore ill prepare the team for games...there is always a "whipping boy"...normally it is the wrong person getting the whipping...layers are in place...price is high...return is not there...heads will roll...GW

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
Jimmy Bedard is at the top of my list and Donny Beaupre is right behind Jimmy...one can argue that Beaupre had a better pro career but Bedard was definitely the best all time Wolves goalie...honourable mention to Dahm...Dreveny...Elechner...Loverock...Raycroft...Mullen...Smith...Palazzese...what about Lenarduzzi and Tanner...lol...GW

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Trading Bulitka would be a mistake...a huge mistake...another one to add to the long list that the manager has created to date...unfortunately people who have not watched the last two home games did not see and therefore cannot judge Bulitka's worth/value on this all so fragile team...he plays much more mature than his age and for the number of OHL games he has played so far...he was calm and steady...well positioned and responsible defensively...didn't back down when he was roughed-up and stood his ground...played on the PK and did well on the face-offs...no goals against were scored while he was on the ice...very sound and high hockey IQ...a lot more than other rookies and second year players IMHO...the totally embarrassing loss on Sunday past was squarely the fault of the inept coach who continues and will continue to be ill prepared for games and therefore ill prepare the team for games...there is always a "whipping boy"...normally it is the wrong person getting the whipping...layers are in place...price is high...return is not there...heads will roll...GW

If you read my post I was picking Lane over Bulitka because he is a pure sniper. His release is lighting quick, he has a nose for open spots on net, he positions himself well for the best scoring opportunities. Things you can't teach. Bulitka and Garagan for me is a toss up! Garagan at this point because of the extra games in and speed. Bulika good player and prospect and will give us a equal value in a trade for the positions that are lacking. One does not have to be at a game to recognize these issues the Sudbury Wolves have for this season. If they decide on keeping all players on deck as it is at the moment then one of those youngsters will not develop.:nod:

And don't foget Shane Beals and Sean Evoy lol:laugh:

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Shane Beals? I wasn't around for that one, or there was just too much smoke in my brain at the time to remember.

I guess that I misread your post concerning Bulitka too, GW. On that note, I'll choose Bulitka over Garagan & Lane based on upside and the (small sample) ability to create at LW or C. Next for me is Lane. I LOVE his tenacity and speed on the back check. I've heard/read about the lasers (supposedly 2nd only to Tippet in his draft class) he can get off the rush; but, I haven't seen it yet in a half dozen viewings. (experience at this level of game/speed, I guess). Garagan is a nice versatile C that will likely be a high point getter by the time he graduates; he is also a bit redundant on (this) team. Maybe, the right player but wrong time, sort of like Soo native Thompson was.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Big time pressure for the coaches and management to get into the playoffs this spring, you can feel it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Big time pressure for the coaches and management to get into the playoffs this spring, you can feel it.

Given that the wolves need a better record than two of Niagara, Barrie, Oshawa, & Kingston to achieve a playoff, I think the pressure is on for (all) to be in control of that position at Christmas
Ill expand on that before getting chewed out :) Kingston & Oshawa are middling teams at best, with some attractive players in their final year. 6th place or lower, I'd guess they're sellers

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Shane Beals? I wasn't around for that one, or there was just too much smoke in my brain at the time to remember.

I guess that I misread your post concerning Bulitka too, GW. On that note, I'll choose Bulitka over Garagan & Lane based on upside and the (small sample) ability to create at LW or C. Next for me is Lane. I LOVE his tenacity and speed on the back check. I've heard/read about the lasers (supposedly 2nd only to Tippet in his draft class) he can get off the rush; but, I haven't seen it yet in a half dozen viewings. (experience at this level of game/speed, I guess). Garagan is a nice versatile C that will likely be a high point getter by the time he graduates; he is also a bit redundant on (this) team. Maybe, the right player but wrong time, sort of like Soo native Thompson was.

Goverde, McDonald

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Jimmy Bedard is at the top of my list and Donny Beaupre is right behind Jimmy...one can argue that Beaupre had a better pro career but Bedard was definitely the best all time Wolves goalie...honourable mention to Dahm...Dreveny...Elechner...Loverock...Raycroft...Mullen...Smith...Palazzese...what about Lenarduzzi and Tanner...lol...GW

Fair enough. I was thinking about overall impact but fair points! I remember all those guys too btw..nice to be reminded :)

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
- Hard to believe how quiet this board is after the Wolves hard fought win, one goal games are very good for building team character !!

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Was just thinking the same thing. Sucks we couldn't listen on the radio but ah well. Good to see us come out with a shutout after the last game.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Much better effort

Was just thinking the same thing. Sucks we couldn't listen on the radio but ah well. Good to see us come out with a shutout after the last game.

I talked to Dario about radio for fun. We'll see. Not sure if they have anything in the works.

Well this was a much much different Wolves team in Barrie tonight versus Sunday's debacle. Inspired effort all the way through, hardly giving the Colts anything in the first two periods before sitting back a bit in the third.

Wolves had plenty of chances in this one and the game could have been out of reach fairly early if only they could have shown more finish. I believe it will come though and its clear the skill level has improved considerably.

PP remains an area of concern as again the Wolves were unable to score on several chances. Conversely the good news is that the PK looked just as effective. Still some glaring defensive miscues that need to be cleaned up.

Players who impressed were Carson (lone goal scored), Sokolov (immediate impact), Dunda and Yak. Yak led several odd man rushes with one resulting in the Wolves only goal. Bowman for his part was solid when called upon.

Great job and bodes well for the weekend. Go Wolves!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Can you not get internet radio (Streema Radio) here is a list of Sudbury stations, you can also find the city where the wolves are playing and get their game on their stations.

http://streema.com/radios/search/?q=Sudbury
- You may need to adjust your ******* a few times but it's it works great !! They won't let me write the key word, so I'll try again this way; "-ad-blocker-"

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Can you not get internet radio (Streema Radio) here is a list of Sudbury stations, you can also find the city where the wolves are playing and get their game on their stations.

- You may need to adjust your ******* a few times but it's it works great !!

I believe the Wolves are looking for a new radio guy, after Stew Kernan, I tried to get to listen on radio feed but nothing last night. At present we will only get the opposite team radio feed until we get a new guy to announce the play by play. It should happen soon.

I have watched a couple of games on OHL Live but it $7.00 and sometimes the video stream is poor quality.

On the OHL scoreboard they have a Play by Play option, and can follow that but not the same.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I believe the Wolves are looking for a new radio guy, after Stew Kernan, I tried to get to listen on radio feed but nothing last night. At present we will only get the opposite team radio feed until we get a new guy to announce the play by play. It should happen soon.

I have watched a couple of games on OHL Live but it $7.00 and sometimes the video stream is poor quality.

On the OHL scoreboard they have a Play by Play option, and can follow that but not the same.

I understand, too bad about Stew Kernan, it is hard to find a good radio personality that can bring excitement with the telecasts. We are very fortunate in London with Mike Stubbs, one of the very best in the business, He did Calgary Flames games for two years back in the late 90's. Very exciting and impartial as well as it was commented by many other team's posters several times.

-I hope you find a good one and soon too, can't let the Wolves play knowing their fans are not present to follow their every steps of success.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

My understanding is KFM dropped the Wolves broadcast, and the Wolves are now looking for a new option to broadcast the games, including a new play by play guy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I understand, too bad about Stew Kernan, it is hard to find a good radio personality that can bring excitement with the telecasts. We are very fortunate in London with Mike Stubbs, one of the very best in the business, He did Calgary Flames games for two years back in the late 90's. Very exciting and impartial as well as it was commented by many other team's posters several times.

-I hope you find a good one and soon too, can't let the Wolves play knowing their fans are not present to follow their every steps of success.

London has a great broadcast as does Peteborough. I listen to both frequently

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016

- You may need to adjust your ******* a few times but it's it works great !! They won't let me write the key word, so I'll try again this way; "-ad-blocker-"

Will definitely give it a whirl, thanks! I second the notion about OHL Live I didn't have good experiences at all.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Goverde, McDonald

Yup, Greg Dreveny, Matt Mullin (excellent smaller goalie), George Dourian, Dan Ryder, Andrew Raycroft (brutal here then wins CHL goalie of the year in Kingston and has a bit of an NHL career, go figure). Man the list goes on, some decent while others quite ordinary. Mike Smith is another one who went on to the NHL. Steve Valiquette, Mike Lenarduzzi. The interesting thing is they were all trades, Wolves have not done a good job drafting goalies. Hopefully Mcgrath is the exception.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
That Yak/Carson goal, wow. Great game so far minus a few bad turnovers. Bowman looking sharp.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
That Yak/Carson goal, wow. Great game so far minus a few bad turnovers. Bowman looking sharp.

Yes indeed, quite a game from the boys tonight. Again another inspired effort. The Pilon twins are having a significant impact and I agree with coach Matsos when we said tonight that they are having a huge effect in pushing others to work to stay in the lineup. When is the last time this kind of thing has happened in Wolvesland?

I was impressed with the way the team stood up for each other all night and was relentless offensively even with a 3 goal lead. Let's not make too much noise and let the boys fly under the radar...teams that would take us lightly this year just might be in for a surprise. Yes the pp is a concern but they're winning...give it time..the chances are often there. Finally, must say I attended the coaches' corner at Overtime after the game (where was everybody??!) Everyone has so much to say on here but given the chance in an open forum the turnout was disappointing to say the least. I for one have a different view of coach Matsos. This guy was dealt a really lousy hand by Burgess so I'm willing to give him a chance. Judging by his comments and composure today, this guy is no idiot and certainly seems to understand this game and junior hockey players. As far as x's and o's at this point who knows but I got the distinct impression that the players like, respect and listen to him. I for one am willing to give him a chance after seeing and hearing what I saw. Let's carry it on Siunday...Go Wolves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00