Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The wolves having covered their biggest need going forward, took care of its next biggest need in round two; which, was a RH shot with lots of offensive upside and low chance of being a bust. Second guessing every Branch selection is getting old Cub. The draft is done. The season has just begun.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wolves fans, I want to tell you what a great kid Troy Timpano is. He certainly has fit in well, and he is a pretty darn good goalie. He might get his chance next season for a deep run. My wife and I along with several friends will be travelling north in November to see the Otters play the Wolves. Any suggestions as to places to eat? We can't wait to see your team, along with SSM and North Bay.

Is it a Fiday game? There are some good, non-chain type restaurants near the arena. The townehouse right beside is a burger & fries type pre-game gathering place. The club sandwich & veggie burger are supperb. Less than a five minute walk are some good restaurants. I like Respect is Burning (loud atmosphere if that's ok); it has a fair sized menu based on Italian family recipes; and, an owner that will recognize that you are first time patrons and personally see to it that you are enjoying his dinner club.

Nice to hear Troy is doing well.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The wolves having covered their biggest need going forward, took care of its next biggest need in round two; which, was a RH shot with lots of offensive upside and low chance of being a bust. Second guessing every Branch selection is getting old Cub. The draft is done. The season has just begun.

Not second guessing, during the draft i commented to pick a D in second round to me it was a bigger need than a RW. I also said Baker RW was a steal in 4th, but no one remembers that, and I believe he played well enough to be presently on team, but playing junior B won't hurt his development.

Ottawa was able to pick up Robertson and Bahl, good for them, they will be set for the future.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm pretty sure most are aware of your distaste of Gihula because it cost you a local player and relegates the 'steal' to jrA or B. Adding a 2nd round 2000 born D having 2000, 1999, & 1998 born D along with 3-'97s having OA possibilities and having playoff aspirations really would have been a waste of opportunity. Branch can select a 2001 born this spring giving the team 4-1st round D in five years.
Ottawa had (something like) 3 OA D options after graduating a couple of OA D; they needed an injection of future D

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure most are aware of your distaste of Gihula because it cost you a local player and relegates the 'steal' to jrA or B. Adding a 2nd round 2000 born D having 2000, 1999, & 1998 born D along with 3-'97s having OA possibilities and having playoff aspirations really would have been a waste of opportunity. Branch can select a 2001 born this spring giving the team 4-1st round D in five years.
Ottawa had (something like) 3 OA D options after graduating a couple of OA D; they needed an injection of future D

I like how you edited to put first comment in, but i won't press the red and white button on you. lol

I don't have distain towards to Gihula, stop making things up. I said Moskal was there for the picking and pass on him. Stop putting words in my mouth. I did say I haven't seen what makes him a 2nd round pick, usually i can see something intangible, but doesn't mean i have distain for him, I hope he proves me wrong.

Like i said before I can see something in Lalonde, Baker, Carson, Levin etc.

Dirty12, make your own opinions, Baker and Moskal are at U17 Worlds, so I must of seen something good in them. you commented in past reason for Baker being sent down, and why we passed on Moskal.
respect your opinion but we don't agree.

No need to fuel things up with Gihula comment, like i said i hope he proves why he is 2nd rounder, and wish him the best. I would of picked a D at that pick or pick local guy Moskal. End of story.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013

Give it up with Cub, he will never get it. What you say is right on , but no use continuing to beat a dead horse. Cub supports local players and that is great and we will never argue that Moskal is a great player but I question the calibre of the league he plays in. We need fans like Cub keeping an eye open with respect to our local talent. Maybe Cub you could report during the season which local players you like along with their stats. I for one enjoy your posts and would look forward to your assessment of some of our local talent. Who at this early stage catches your eye? anyone on your radar?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
:deadhorse
I'm sorry Cub. I guess that my defense of a GM's (widely regarded as a good scout) selections over your assessments and desired direction is a little strong. I was mostly just having fun, though; I meant no harm.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
:deadhorse
I'm sorry Cub. I guess that my defense of a GM's (widely regarded as a good scout) selections over your assessments and desired direction is a little strong. I was mostly just having fun, though; I meant no harm.

no harm done, i have thick skin. A lot of bleeding hearts lately , its funny how my assessment of a couple of players are playing in the U17, but I get attacked by sticking up for them. I will still comment in what i strongly believe in, but say it differently not to offend anyone. lol

wannabgino

Oct 6, 2016
Timpano leading the league in GAA .. and people here saying he was not a good goalie. That is how well people on this forum actually know about the game. Give some of the young guys on the team a chance to adjust to speed and living away from home at 16 instead of questioning their ability in the first 6 games of their OHL career.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Give it up with Cub, he will never get it. What you say is right on , but no use continuing to beat a dead horse. Cub supports local players and that is great and we will never argue that Moskal is a great player but I question the calibre of the league he plays in. We need fans like Cub keeping an eye open with respect to our local talent. Maybe Cub you could report during the season which local players you like along with their stats. I for one enjoy your posts and would look forward to your assessment of some of our local talent. Who at this early stage catches your eye? anyone on your radar?

Billoink, not sure your dissing me or not. lol

Sad to say 2001 local talent maybe the worst its been in a long time. I have to say the 2000's were one of the strongest groups to enter the draft. Great Northern Midget league is pretty good league for AAA players because they are playing mostly against older Major Midget players, its best competition for them in the North. I believe if no matter the league if your good they will find you but Moskal has been on radar for long time playing summer leagues down south, and overseas.

It will be a stretch if any 2001 Sudbury Wolves AAA kids get drafted. If one has a chance it would be Alex Fowke, good kid, good size, skilled and skates well, needs to use his size and get meaner.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Timpano leading the league in GAA .. and people here saying he was not a good goalie. That is how well people on this forum actually know about the game. Give some of the young guys on the team a chance to adjust to speed and living away from home at 16 instead of questioning their ability in the first 6 games of their OHL career.

What?! In regard to Timpano, he had three seasons to prove he could backstop the wolves to success. I'm very sure there was a whole lot more 'Timpano needs a change of scenery to reach his potential; than there was, 'Timpano is a poor goalie'. Also, every single poster on this form will state the wolves traded its best current G because he returned the best possible value.
If you're referring to Levin, Gihula... yeah, fans of all teams at all levels sometimes show a lack of patience

Last edited:

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016

I remember getting into a few disagreements with fans saying he was a terrible goalie. Those fans never saw him play I'm sure they were looking at statistics. Really good kid, glad he's putting it together I always said he was one of the most athletic goalies in this league. There was alot of pressure on him early on and I believe he came up too early (Even though his first year as backup he played phenomenal).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm pretty excited to see Hamilton play; and, how the wolves perform in back to back games against one of the top 3 teams, if not the top team in the eastern conference.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

That's a little unfair to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see him doing well but the truth is he was quite inconsistent here last season. Of course playing on a struggling team didn't help but I can honestly see why they dealt him. He wasn't sixteen by the way and he actually performed better his rookie season.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm pretty excited to see Hamilton play; and, how the wolves perform in back to back games against one of the top 3 teams, if not the top team in the eastern conference.

Your'e pegging Oshawa to be a top three team in the conference this year? I have the OHL pack so I watch the games..not sure I see it but it's early.

Watched the Missy Gueiph game last night. Man Missy is starting to show what they're capable of. With good goaltending they will likely be a top team. They can kill you offensively.

Looking forward to watching Hamilton in North Bay tonight to get a preview of the Bulldogs.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Billoink, not sure your dissing me or not. lol

Sad to say 2001 local talent maybe the worst its been in a long time. I have to say the 2000's were one of the strongest groups to enter the draft. Great Northern Midget league is pretty good league for AAA players because they are playing mostly against older Major Midget players, its best competition for them in the North. I believe if no matter the league if your good they will find you but Moskal has been on radar for long time playing summer leagues down south, and overseas.

It will be a stretch if any 2001 Sudbury Wolves AAA kids get drafted. If one has a chance it would be Alex Fowke, good kid, good size, skilled and skates well, needs to use his size and get meaner.

Not dissing you at all as you put it, just tapping your views on the local talent. Keep us all informed on the players to watch in the north as we value your opinion immensely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your'e pegging Oshawa to be a top three team in the conference this year? I have the OHL pack so I watch the games..not sure I see it but it's early.

Watched the Missy Gueiph game last night. Man Missy is starting to show what they're capable of. With good goaltending they will likely be a top team. They can kill you offensively.

Looking forward to watching Hamilton in North Bay tonight to get a preview of the Bulldogs.

No, I don't know what I posted to infer Oshawa is top 3. I think the top team will be Miss followed by Hamilton, Petes, & NB. I think they will prove to be clearly better (this year) than the next four. IMO, they are Ottawa, Kingston, Sudbury, & Oshawa. I cannot even guess the order at this point (I think Oshawa & Kingston are most likely to trade off vets)

Last edited:

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016

Was a little surprised with the slow start from Miss but there's no denying the offensive potential that group has. Do you think they're on a hunt for another goaltender? Could be an interesting Central Division once all is said and done. Seems like every team has their strengths and weaknesses.

Has anyone seen NB extensively?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Was a little surprised with the slow start from Miss but there's no denying the offensive potential that group has. Do you think they're on a hunt for another goaltender? Could be an interesting Central Division once all is said and done. Seems like every team has their strengths and weaknesses.

Miss will be on the hunt for wingers; they are strong in goal and ridiculously good on D. They seem a 4 forward team. McCloed and Bastion; then, McCloed and Tippet.
NB has a lot of 18&19 yr olds & good on D; they should be a solid playoff team.
Hamilton is a well put together team that can contend for two years.
The Petes are balanced with loads of picks

That's the way I see it

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Well Mancina (not sure of the spelling) was in last night and looked ok, mind you he didn't have that much to do since Missy dominated. Peterborough got rid of him so it makes me wonder. I'm thinking if he doesn't get the job done they might definitely be on the hunt.

I've watched North Bay a few times and will again tonight. So far they seem to be a little inconsistent. I for one was surprised they beat the Soo last weekend.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Miss will be on the hunt for wingers; they are strong in goal and ridiculously good on D. They seem a 4 forward team. McCloed and Bastion; then, McCloed and Tippet.
NB has a lot of 18&19 yr olds & good on D; they should be a solid playoff team.
Hamilton is a well put together team that can contend for two years.
The Petes are balanced with loads of picks

That's the way I see it

Strong in goal with Mancina? Who else do they have?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well Mancina (not sure of the spelling) was in last night and looked ok, mind you he didn't have that much to do since Missy dominated. Peterborough got rid of him so it makes me wonder. I'm thinking if he doesn't get the job done they might definitely be on the hunt.

I've watched North Bay a few times and will again tonight. So far they seem to be a little inconsistent. I for one was surprised they beat the Soo last weekend.

Butler teams are not known for hot starts. They might be the most veteran team in a mostly building eastern conference. I think they will secure home ice round 1.

Mancina may have been the most statistically sound goalie in the league last season. Miss already shored up its goaltending

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Butler teams are not known for hot starts. They might be the most veteran team in a mostly building eastern conference. I think they will secure home ice round 1.

Mancina may have been the most statistically sound goalie in the league last season. Miss already shored up its goaltending

Time will tell...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Strong in goal with Mancina? Who else do they have?

Yes, very strong in net with Mancina. He has an OHL career SV % of 0.910 give or take thousandths.

Ingram is a rookie and was a 2nd? pick. Madurca is the odd guy out but is pretty decent and might get something in a trade

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yes, very strong in net with Mancina. He has an OHL career SV % of 0.910 give or take thousandths.

Ingram is a rookie and was a 2nd? pick. Madurca is the odd guy out but is pretty decent and might get something in a trade

Interesting. Peterborough must have got quite a return to move him? Also they must believe in the other guy(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->