Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Coaches Corner! :)
I gotta know, I can picture Berewhosky covered in wing sauce��<<LMAO
On the coaches, during the last season I stated that they could not be judged given that those players and coaches had no chance of sucess; and, that judging should wait until Christmas (2016). I should add, that goes for the GM too; although, he's earned an extension until the following Christmas IMO. I like that he's shaping a group of good prospects (give some credit to BS; the '99s & Pilon(s) were his doing) into a team; and, capable of identifying good D. (based on his signing of Ali, trades, Lalonde, & being a part of shaping Hamilton's very impressive group of D)

Last edited:

Wolfpack25

Sep 6, 2013
Sudbury
Yes indeed, quite a game from the boys tonight. Again another inspired effort. The Pilon twins are having a significant impact and I agree with coach Matsos when we said tonight that they are having a huge effect in pushing others to work to stay in the lineup. When is the last time this kind of thing has happened in Wolvesland?

I was impressed with the way the team stood up for each other all night and was relentless offensively even with a 3 goal lead. Let's not make too much noise and let the boys fly under the radar...teams that would take us lightly this year just might be in for a surprise. Yes the pp is a concern but they're winning...give it time..the chances are often there. Finally, must say I attended the coaches' corner at Overtime after the game (where was everybody??!) Everyone has so much to say on here but given the chance in an open forum the turnout was disappointing to say the least. I for one have a different view of coach Matsos. This guy was dealt a really lousy hand by Burgess so I'm willing to give him a chance. Judging by his comments and composure today, this guy is no idiot and certainly seems to understand this game and junior hockey players. As far as x's and o's at this point who knows but I got the distinct impression that the players like, respect and listen to him. I for one am willing to give him a chance after seeing and hearing what I saw. Let's carry it on Siunday...Go Wolves!

Great post! The team continues to improve and they looked great last night. First of all, the effort is great, and the team looks much more organized defensively. The line of Yak/Carson/Dunda was a terror all night. What a great pickup Yak looks to be. He plays hard and seems to really enjoy being here in a bigger role. You can already tell how valuable his leadership will be to this team. These 3 guys were everywhere on the ice and hit everything in sight last night. Really fun to watch. Valentini in between the Pilon's really looked good as well. I was somewhat skeptical about the Pilon's, but it is undeniable. These kids work their tails off and it rubs off on everyone. They create space for Valentini to use his speed and it worked really well last night. As for the PP, I expect it to get better as well. There was a lot of over passing, but they were able to get set up and get in dangerous areas.. just lacked that final pass or shot. Sokolov hasn't scored yet, but he looks great out there in my opinion. He looks faster, stronger on the puck, and once he gets his first I think they will start to come in bunches. Levin is going to be an unreal player in this league. The guy looks dangerous out there at all times. He had a few bad giveaways last night, but I am fine with it as he will learn and is just trying to make things happen. Also, the defence looked really good the last couple games. They move the puck better than any defence group we have had in awhile.

And oh yeah, Bowman looked great in there. The Wolves carried play for a lot of the game, but he came up with the big saves when the team really needed it, which is something Timpano never seemed to do. I was already excited about the team this year, but after watching these last couple games my excitement has grown even more. They are young, fast, skilled, they work hard and you can see confidence growing each game. They will only continue to improve as the season goes on. The Wolves are a young team and will have their hiccups along the road, but everyone was so quick to jump all over Matsos and his staff. You are starting to see results now in my opinion and it is definitely something to be excited for.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Some players still continue to hold onto the puck way too long. this has resulted in several turnovers over the last few games. Until these certain few players start using their teammates they are going to find themselves without points and less of a chance of being considered prospects for he NHL. It's a team game and last night their selfish behaviour almost cost us and/or missed assisting on a couple of good chances. As well these same players stay on the ice for way too long on their shifts. I hope they get their act together soon.

As for the others that are producing. They use each other on the ice and it's wonderful to watch!

WJ

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Great post! The team continues to improve and they looked great last night. First of all, the effort is great, and the team looks much more organized defensively. The line of Yak/Carson/Dunda was a terror all night. What a great pickup Yak looks to be. He plays hard and seems to really enjoy being here in a bigger role. You can already tell how valuable his leadership will be to this team. These 3 guys were everywhere on the ice and hit everything in sight last night. Really fun to watch. Valentini in between the Pilon's really looked good as well. I was somewhat skeptical about the Pilon's, but it is undeniable. These kids work their tails off and it rubs off on everyone. They create space for Valentini to use his speed and it worked really well last night. As for the PP, I expect it to get better as well. There was a lot of over passing, but they were able to get set up and get in dangerous areas.. just lacked that final pass or shot. Sokolov hasn't scored yet, but he looks great out there in my opinion. He looks faster, stronger on the puck, and once he gets his first I think they will start to come in bunches. Levin is going to be an unreal player in this league. The guy looks dangerous out there at all times. He had a few bad giveaways last night, but I am fine with it as he will learn and is just trying to make things happen. Also, the defence looked really good the last couple games. They move the puck better than any defence group we have had in awhile.

And oh yeah, Bowman looked great in there. The Wolves carried play for a lot of the game, but he came up with the big saves when the team really needed it, which is something Timpano never seemed to do. I was already excited about the team this year, but after watching these last couple games my excitement has grown even more. They are young, fast, skilled, they work hard and you can see confidence growing each game. They will only continue to improve as the season goes on. The Wolves are a young team and will have their hiccups along the road, but everyone was so quick to jump all over Matsos and his staff. You are starting to see results now in my opinion and it is definitely something to be excited for.

Excellent Post! Really have to agree with you about the Valentini/Pilon's Line, they work remarkably well together, Also I was very impressed with the line of Yak/Carson/Dunda, I really hope they stay together, they were fantastic together. I'm very excited about the future things are finally starting to look up!

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Yes indeed, quite a game from the boys tonight. Again another inspired effort. The Pilon twins are having a significant impact and I agree with coach Matsos when we said tonight that they are having a huge effect in pushing others to work to stay in the lineup. When is the last time this kind of thing has happened in Wolvesland?

I was impressed with the way the team stood up for each other all night and was relentless offensively even with a 3 goal lead. Let's not make too much noise and let the boys fly under the radar...teams that would take us lightly this year just might be in for a surprise. Yes the pp is a concern but they're winning...give it time..the chances are often there. Finally, must say I attended the coaches' corner at Overtime after the game (where was everybody??!) Everyone has so much to say on here but given the chance in an open forum the turnout was disappointing to say the least. I for one have a different view of coach Matsos. This guy was dealt a really lousy hand by Burgess so I'm willing to give him a chance. Judging by his comments and composure today, this guy is no idiot and certainly seems to understand this game and junior hockey players. As far as x's and o's at this point who knows but I got the distinct impression that the players like, respect and listen to him. I for one am willing to give him a chance after seeing and hearing what I saw. Let's carry it on Siunday...Go Wolves!

Sadly I was unable to make it to overtimes last night due to some prior engagements, were there any good questions asked?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Sadly I was unable to make it to overtimes last night due to some prior engagements, were there any good questions asked?

Well there were only a few of us so we got to ask a few questions each. I'd like to think they were good questions. Talking to Matsos his approach seems to be to get the boys thinking about short term goals, breaking things down into bite sized pieces. In all fairness it can be expected to take some time before the rink is even partly full, let alone the coachs' corners well attended. Also, not sure how many even knew about it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well there were only a few of us so we got to ask a few questions each. I'd like to think they were good questions. Talking to Matsos his approach seems to be to get the boys thinking about short term goals, breaking things down into bite sized pieces. In all fairness it can be expected to take some time before the rink is even partly full, let alone the coachs' corners well attended. Also, not sure how many even knew about it.

It was posted at the arena. If I ever attend, I'm buying 'Bear' messy wings

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Excellent Post! Really have to agree with you about the Valentini/Pilon's Line, they work remarkably well together, Also I was very impressed with the line of Yak/Carson/Dunda, I really hope they stay together, they were fantastic together. I'm very excited about the future things are finally starting to look up!

Valentini with Pilon(s) are effective right now. I'm sure Pazzetta and/or Valentini with Dunda and Yak will be tried. A blossoming Carson might be used with Bulitka/Garagan and Lane/Gihula to form an excellent fourth line. I think the Pilon(s) will eventually lose minutes
I believe this team is going to alright; very good next season.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Very nice to see Yak getting a chance to play a lot more than when he was in London.
Yak has Good Wheels.
He doesn't need to bury the opposition into the 2nd row of the stands.
Play Tough..............But Smart.
He can play PP and PK.
He'll make everyone on the Wolves a better player.
I for one, will be following the success of Sudbury...............the fans deserve it!!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Who sits for Pezzetta?

Wondering what you guys think? Also, what line do you see him on?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Mayo, again. Up front, rotational with 13 F? Give earned minutes. My first line would be Dunda/Pez/Yak

So with Mayo out last night the Wolves had room for one more player? Also, it seems maybe Mayo isn't happy with his ice etc. Do you see him being moved? Also, where would you move Carson..that line has had chemistry.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So with Mayo out last night the Wolves had room for one more player? Also, it seems maybe Mayo isn't happy with his ice etc. Do you see him being moved? Also, where would you move Carson..that line has had chemistry.

Carson is playing very well. I think right now, you use Carson to allow greater leverage situations to Bulitka, Garagan, Lane and Gihula if he sticks. Pazzetta played that role for Carson kind of like Deroshers played that role for Pazzetta. I just think you have give Pez the opportunity to be that all purpose leader with Dunda & Yak. I don't know how else to get the most out of Dunda is another reason

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
As well as Carson has played no way he goes to the 4th line. Also this is his draft year. It wont happen. It will work itself out.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Just like going with the hot goalie. You need to keep Carson with Dunda and Yak! Carson is producing and that is a great thing for he team and him personally. Pezzetta can be fitted on a line with Lazer and Lane. Levin can be played with Sokolov and Garagan. Valentini with the Pilon twins and Butlika in and out of the line up. Guhila sent down.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Having good players vying for lines is a good thing. It should keep guys motivated and bring out their best. You're right, players will work out the lines themselves. I don't forseen Carson passing Pazetta on the depth chart to start games any time soon. I can see him playing with Pez & Yak often. If Carson continues to play like he has, the team will be successful and he will be drafted, as will others

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I glad to see Matsos finally get guys going, hope we extend this streak. Still I think sometime he needs to take a timeout and not to wait too long to pull a goalie, to change the momentum.

BB making moves for OA will benefit now, it appears they want to make the playoffs this year even its going to cost us future picks, I'm not to crazy about this, because next year we should have more of a veteran team and we should be battling for the conference title. We could use those picks more for next year than this year, to beef up team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Catch 22, Cub. The current young players and core going forward need to see and learn how these (winner) vets react the right way in all situations. May as well develop the players the team has rather than worry (too much) about players that (might) come next.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
POWERPLAY, this is the question, 2yrs now and nothing has improved 1 for 26 this season is unacceptable. Now that we seem to have the proper players in place there should be no more excuses.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Piazzetta- Since coming back to aggressive , and bad penalties. Not using his NHL experience in a positive way. Perhaps needs a change of address.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Nice to see come back. I agree with Cub, that Matsos pulled goalie quicker than he has done in the past, changed the momentum and tied game, unfortunately lost in OT.. Nice to see Carson on a roll and scoring a goal on PP.

bigtimefan

Sep 23, 2015
Pezzeta seems a little lost, unsure of is role, I would'nt trade him yet, he could learn a lot from Yak. I agree with WJ, some players hang on to the puck too long, we could of had a couple goals if some players knew how to pass. I must be alone with this , but I would still consider a block buster trade involving Levin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad