Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
People aren't just going to forget about the Burgess ERA. It's still very fresh in a lot of peoples minds.

Going to take a while. I think you will see attendance start to rise every year in Sudbury moving forward though.

Thanks for your input. I'm not expecting a full house anytime soon. My post was aimed at encouraging those who may have been perusing the site and thinking about going back to the rink. To let them know that the atmosphere has changed and that it indeed feels like a "new era". No one knows more than us diehards what damage the Burgess era has done.

However as Jack said, people need to move beyond and embrace the new era. There is no better hockey town in the world than Sudbury when the team is competitive. I just can't wait to see the rink rocking again like it used to!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The only thing that care to remember about the Burgess era is that the first generation purchased a club attracting 500/game and brought in some good hockey people and things improved.
The 2nd generation was not so good. It is gone. I've moved on.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Important point

The only thing that care to remember about the Burgess era is that the first generation purchased a club attracting 500/game and brought in some good hockey people and things improved.
The 2nd generation was not so good. It is gone. I've moved on.

That's an important point. The tenure of Burgess senior should not be lumped in with the tenure of junior. As stated, senior took a team from death's doorstep and injected new life by hiring good hockey men to run the show and not meddling. I remember it well, here's hoping we see the same kind of thing happen again :handclap:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yes, former season ticket holders and fans, please show your support and attend the games. We have a wonderful new owner in Dario Zulich, who respect the fans and season ticket holders. Lets see that rink packed like old times.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
People aren't just going to forget about the Burgess ERA. It's still very fresh in a lot of peoples minds.

Going to take a while. I think you will see attendance start to rise every year in Sudbury moving forward though.

There is a lot of anger in the community still regarding the Burgess era and while the ownership change was very positively received all over, there is still a wait and see attitude regarding the team. Ownership is very visible at games, that's a big change from before and thats created some goodwill. The arena and team staff are a lot more upbeat and courteous then in the past, which helps. As they get a few more wins under their belt and the word spreads, we'll see an increase in attendance month over month. Very happy to be discussing more positive topics and more on ice topics this year as we finally have something good to talk about.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Everybody loves a winner.
The #1 reason attendance stinks is because the teams of the last couple seasons were stinkers. I could not give away tickets last season because, 'I can find better things to do on a Friday night than go watch a crappy team.'
These people simply are not OHL fans. They have zero interest in the Levin story. But, they will watch the leafs religiously, and talk about them all year long. These same people will show when the wolves start to win consistently
Still, it's a better market (season ticket base) than half of the league. I can see 3000 STH next year for a team on the rise, if the economy allows for that

Last edited:

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Everybody loves a winner.
The #1 reason attendance stinks is because the teams of the last couple seasons were stinkers. I could not give away tickets last season because, 'I can find better things to do on a Friday night than go watch a crappy team.'
These people simply are not OHL fans. They have zero interest in the Levin story. But, they will watch the leafs religiously, and talk about them all year long. These same people will show when the wolves start to win consistently
Still, it's a better market (season ticket base) than half of the league. I can see 3000 STH next year for a team on the rise, if the economy allows for that

Good post, there needs to be consideration for what the economy allows. We have a high dependance on certain industries and when there are high unemployment rates unfortunately the Wolves suffer. I think your projection is fair especially if our economy begins to rebound.

Social media will be huge for this team going forward. Let's stay positive on social media (yes even if we lose not naming any names) going forward and ensure prospective fans are receiving positive messages.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The economy is a huge factor in Sudbury. I know many that were considered high income earners from 2003-2013 that have worked so little in the last two years, they don't even qualify for EI. You can't justify $17-24/game when you can't manage a motgage + utilities

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Good post, there needs to be consideration for what the economy allows. We have a high dependance on certain industries and when there are high unemployment rates unfortunately the Wolves suffer. I think your projection is fair especially if our economy begins to rebound.

Social media will be huge for this team going forward. Let's stay positive on social media (yes even if we lose not naming any names) going forward and ensure prospective fans are receiving positive messages.

Would really like to see more ushers once attendance increases. More and more people leaving their seats during play, are not courteous enough to wait till a whistle. People coming in late during play, is it just me or anyone else notice this?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Would really like to see more ushers once attendance increases. More and more people leaving their seats during play, are not courteous enough to wait till a whistle. People coming in late during play, is it just me or anyone else notice this?

100% agree and this is something I for one will mention to Dario. If ownership truly want to improve the fan experience then it is time to bring back ushers and some level of order. Any real hockey fan knows the code. You wait for a whistle before getting back into your seat. Unfortunately and as mentioned, we do have corporate seats that are given away etc (my whole row) and others that are downright inconsiderate and do not follow the code. As for the economy, fair enough.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wandering during play is definitely a pet peeve, for me and others in my section. Dario & Blaine have heard this. One time recently; some guy in jeans and white shirt was cutting across an aisle during play. I asked aloud, who does this guy think he is? The owner?!

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Yeah you guys hit the nail on the head, too many inconsiderate people coming in late to the play before a whistle. Worth bringing up for sure.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Out of Couriousity, perhaps I just missed it, but what does everyone think the asking price for Capobianco would be, should we be in a situation that would warrant that?

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Out of Couriousity, perhaps I just missed it, but what does everyone think the asking price for Capobianco would be, should we be in a situation that would warrant that?

Capo will be with this team as long as HE wants to. Capo is bread and butter since being named captain and is a driving force towards the outcome of their future. I could only see him wanting to leave to go to a Memorial Cup contender in lieu of returning as an OA next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The last two weeks has erased any thoughts I had of Capo being back as an OA. It is a real nice thought, though. Personally, I like the idea of him leading the wolves into the post season. If the offer is a 16 or 17 yr old D and a few picks or a 6'5" right shot like Hawel of the hounds...take it.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Definitely a tough situation. I see us beginning to seriously compete next year but I wonder how much rope BB has left. I like Capo he certainly has improved immensely since last year but not exploring a trade could be a big mistake going forward especially if he finds a spot on the coyotes roster. A package involving a RH defenceman and/or elite goaltender would certainly put us in a good place moving forward. I have no problem with him staying though it makes sense if BB doesn't want to get caught in the crossfire of another losing season. I would imagine he serves as a mentor for guys like Ali and Lalonde as well.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Definitely a tough situation. I see us beginning to seriously compete next year but I wonder how much rope BB has left. I like Capo he certainly has improved immensely since last year but not exploring a trade could be a big mistake going forward especially if he finds a spot on the coyotes roster. A package involving a RH defenceman and/or elite goaltender would certainly put us in a good place moving forward. I have no problem with him staying though it makes sense if BB doesn't want to get caught in the crossfire of another losing season. I would imagine he serves as a mentor for guys like Ali and Lalonde as well.

I think there should be very careful consideration regarding Capo. He has been a beast this year and is really coming into his own. If they deal him, they better make sure they get a huge return because he is crucial to the teams' success. I for one am in no rush to see him dealt as the best is yet to come from him.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
I think there should be very careful consideration regarding Capo. He has been a beast this year and is really coming into his own. If they deal him, they better make sure they get a huge return because he is crucial to the teams' success. I for one am in no rush to see him dealt as the best is yet to come from him.

Completely agree the price needs to be high and continued success this year is dependant on him.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I would definitely look at offers for him, but it has to make sense. I believe you should retrieve a quality younger player and some quality picks for the future. He has to develop his defensive game, but very offensive. He also needs to put size if he hopes to get next level.

Last edited by a moderator:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Congrats to Lalonde and Baker making it to the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge.

Also, Congrats to Billy Moskal making it too. I guess I'm on the same page as Hockey Canada. :)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Congrats to Lalonde and Baker making it to the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge.

Also, Congrats to Billy Moskal making it too. I guess I'm on the same page as Hockey Canada. :)

And on same page as Branch, he is the Ontario scout for U17 & had a hand in picking the players; and the one that chose Gihula over Moskal and Baker

Last edited:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Wolves fans, I want to tell you what a great kid Troy Timpano is. He certainly has fit in well, and he is a pretty darn good goalie. He might get his chance next season for a deep run. My wife and I along with several friends will be travelling north in November to see the Otters play the Wolves. Any suggestions as to places to eat? We can't wait to see your team, along with SSM and North Bay.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wolves fans, I want to tell you what a great kid Troy Timpano is. He certainly has fit in well, and he is a pretty darn good goalie. He might get his chance next season for a deep run. My wife and I along with several friends will be travelling north in November to see the Otters play the Wolves. Any suggestions as to places to eat? We can't wait to see your team, along with SSM and North Bay.

Next to arena, you can go to Wacky Wings or Dog House. If its a bigger group Wacky Wings is bigger.

South End- Shoeless Joe, St. Louis, Eddies, Ripe, Tap House.

New Sudbury- Pat and Mario, Mr. Prime Rib, Milestones, Keg, Kelsey

cub

Apr 11, 2012
LMAO. Branch IS the U17 Ontario scout this year

sensitive meter is at its peak, someone didn't like my post, it disappeared.

Imagine if we would of gotten Bahl or Robertson in the 2nd round. We would of shored up our D for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad