Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Mike Hoffman signs with the Blues (1 year, $4M)

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Tarasenko isn’t a defensive stalwart and the Blues won the cup with him.

Defense is mostly about commitment, and Tarasenko is fully committed to defense unlike other superstars in the league. Hoffman will be asked to make that same level of commitment towards defense and physicality, and if his point totals drop, I don't want to hear Blues fans all surprised because that's how hockey works.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Crazy that a guy coming off a 1 goal year gets $40 mill

and Hoffman, gets this
I know the age difference but DANG

Not knowing all the details, I would put a substantial amount of blame on his agent being too patient
Good for St Louis to get this bargain though.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Crazy that a guy coming off a 1 goal year gets $40 mill

and Hoffman, gets this
I know the age difference but DANG

Not knowing all the details, I would put a substantial amount of blame on his agent being too patient
Good for St Louis to get this bargain though.
Hoffman just wanted to go to the blues he could have gotten more term plus cap on a bottom feeder if he felt like it imo, they are contenders able to open up cap with space for him on the top powerplay unit. Them or maybe cbus ? Are like the two teams that easily come to mind that could do that for the year

Plus good year to take a one year deal because then you dont need a full nmc to avoid Seattle if you feel like it plus Seattle is going to open up 60 to 80 mill in cap plus 20 or so roster spot

( that's more or less the minimum opening up because you have older guys retiring / taking less money when some of their contracts expire but also whatever young guys guys will need raises so I considered that a wash)

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hoffman just wanted to go to the blues he could have gotten more term plus cap on a bottom feeder if he felt like it imo, they are contenders able to open up cap with space for him on the top powerplay unit. Them or maybe cbus ? Are like the two teams that easily come to mind that could do that for the year

Plus good year to take a one year deal because then you dont need a full nmc to avoid Seattle if you feel like it plus Seattle is going to open up 60 to 80 mill in cap plus 20 or so roster spot

( that's more or less the minimum opening up because you have older guys retiring / taking less money when some of their contracts expire but also whatever young guys guys will need raises so I considered that a wash)

Exactly, he can sign as a UFA to Seattle next year and make bank instead of taking less on a long term deal this year, for now he joins a contender that wouldn't otherwise have room for him.

Reactions: Mr Positive

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Hoffman HAS to be lights out or his next contract will be worse then this one.

One of the issues I have with any player is that they are worth much less in my eyes if they can't play a 200 foot game. It makes no sense to score one...and soft play let's them score on his team. That's why someone like a Gainey's 25 goals are "worth" more then a 35 goal butterball who can't find his own end with a flashlight.

On the Hab's, Julien would probably bench Hoffman in close games.

Don't bother convincing anyone here that anything matters more than points. People just don't understand.

bluemike

Nov 2, 2005
Losing Pietrangelo is huge but how many teams that ever lost someone that good had a Parayko waiting in the wings. Krug can’t replace Pietrangelo on D obviously but he’s easily one of the best offensive D in the league and having a Colton as his partner he’s gonna be dangerous

Most teams in the league would be envious of that pairing. I’d do cartwheels if Edmonton had them.

When I look at the Western clubs on paper only Colorado strikes me as better. Vegas and Dallas still up there. Dallas without Seguin healthy and their forward core getting on in years Radulov, Benn and Pavelski eventually the wheels fall off. Vegas still solid top end but slowly losing depth due to the cap. I don’t see who’s truly ahead outside of Colorado who I think is the best in the west

Petro is overrated defensively. He causes as many turnovers as any of the rest of the Blues D, and as a PP quarterback he's terrible. Krug is more than an adequate replacement for that.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That’s an embarrassing take
Yeah petro was above a good defender a lady a great tarbsition man with very good pp skills. His defense was above average. But for an offensive defenseman his defense was better than most offensive dmen.

His defense is better than
Karlsson
Josi
Burns
Eckblad
Oel
Ect

Krug as better pp equal transition and way worse defense. It eases the loss of petro but can not make up for it

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Did I miss something? I haven't seen the Blues make many moves recently, we had a thread for like 2 months that he was waiting for some team to clear cap. Is this the team he was waiting for, or is he just settling for them now?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did I miss something? I haven't seen the Blues make many moves recently, we had a thread for like 2 months that he was waiting for some team to clear cap. Is this the team he was waiting for, or is he just settling for them now?

If he were settling he would've just signed for more money on a worse team, safe to say the Blues or other cup contenders were probably high on his list since he was going the 1 year route. Steen retiring probably pushed the urgency on the Blues end.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
If he were settling he would've just signed for more money on a worse team, safe to say the Blues or other cup contenders were probably high on his list since he was going the 1 year route. Steen retiring probably pushed the urgency on the Blues end.

Steen was IR i thought, so him retiring doesn't really free a bunch of space up since they had the space from his LTIR?

I guess I'm just confused. It sounded like he was waiting months for a team to make moves to clear cap space, and the blues haven't done that from what I've seen. If his plan was to sign for the Blues, I think he could have done that back in December and they would have been fine cap wise. I could be wrong of course.

I think you can settle and still sign with a good team, just that there may have been a different team he was waiting for and couldn't wait any longer. Im probably reading too much into it, but signing with the Blues seems incongruous with that whole other thread, to me at least.

I can see what you mean about urgency from the Blues, if they thought Steen was coming back sooner rather than later from injury, but then pulled the plug.

Regardless, goodluck to the guy.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Steen was IR i thought, so him retiring doesn't really free a bunch of space up since they had the space from his LTIR?

I guess I'm just confused. It sounded like he was waiting months for a team to make moves to clear cap space, and the blues haven't done that from what I've seen. If his plan was to sign for the Blues, I think he could have done that back in December and they would have been fine cap wise. I could be wrong of course.

I think you can settle and still sign with a good team, just that there may have been a different team he was waiting for and couldn't wait any longer. Im probably reading too much into it, but signing with the Blues seems incongruous with that whole other thread, to me at least.

I can see what you mean about urgency from the Blues, if they thought Steen was coming back sooner rather than later from injury, but then pulled the plug.

Regardless, goodluck to the guy.

Tarasenko and Steen are on ir. Steen 5.75 mil was still trying to come back but was failing his physicals. Armstrong was going to give Steen every chance to come back. Blues are contenders so I wouldnt call it settling

Reactions: Sky04

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
upload_2021-1-11_11-57-41.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad