Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Mike Hoffman signs with the Blues (1 year, $4M)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure why you'd decide Hoffman's version of that story is the truth. Ottawa is a small town, and hockey players are the closest thing we get to celebrities here, word gets around. You can chose not to believe me, but I've been close enough involved in the social circles those guys are in to know it wasn't exactly a secret. Hoffman wasn't much liked in that locker room and that was known well before he and his wife got mixed up with the Karlssons in all that craziness. He's had issues with multiple coaches, there are some clips out there of his confrontations with coaches in his senators years if you wanna take a look. You can watch him play and see his compete level when things get tough. It goes on and on.

I never claimed that he was a cancer, but its hard to argue that he isn't a selfish player and he has had well documented clashes with several coaches. You can decide if you want to believe the rumours or not.

But it seems to me a lot of teams were a little skeptical as well, seeing as a guy who produced at close to a point per game clip in the previous two seasons could barely find himself a one year 4 million dollar deal less than two weeks before training camp starts.

He had 16 teams contact him per Friedman, term was on the table, he CHOOSE to go to St.louis not because it's the only offer only the table genius. Not sure how anyone that's been following this off-season comprehends that Hoffman was only able to get one offer "barely". :laugh:

I like how you think Karlsson wasn't the one lying when he's to date never proved a single thing, seems like you're the type to quickly believe in rumors without a single shred of evidence. If there are "so many stories" go ahead and link them since they're "well documented" or do you get off on spewing hearsay?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDream

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You really think a player on a 1 year deal is going to have a huge negative impact on a team who's won a Stanley Cup in the last 16 months? That's as ridiculous a thing as I've read in 15 years on these boards.

That or he's dumb enough to think that these teams recruiting him can't reach out to his previous coaches, teammates with a single phone call and vet the player themselves but some guy on a message board who read a story in TMZ knows better. :laugh:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Come on, what’s a 30 goal scorer coming in for cheap? We are rumored to be interested in Ben Hutton to join our regiment of bottom pairing D. Other teams should be jealous of us.
To be honest did not want Hoffman for the Bruins , but I agree with what you posted. Typical Sweeney cannot make a deal unless it is for a depth player , he wrote the book on signing that type of player .

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
What well known locker room issues? Silly to bring up fabricated stories when the guy a team like St.louis is lining up for his service. Karlsson didn't have an issue getting 7 years despite making up lies about his teammate and blowing a team internally but then again looking at the state of the Sharks I wonder if they should've have "looked more carefully".

Huh? So Hoffman was the victim in that situation? What a weird take

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He had 16 teams contact him per Friedman, term was on the table, he CHOOSE to go to St.louis not because it's the only offer only the table genius. Not sure how anyone that's been following this off-season comprehends that Hoffman was only able to get one offer "barely". :laugh:

I like how you think Karlsson wasn't the one lying when he's to date never proved a single thing, seems like you're the type to quickly believe in rumors without a single shred of evidence. If there are "so many stories" go ahead and link them since they're "well documented" or do you get off on spewing hearsay?

I never said I believed Karlsson's story. Just that there are constantly issues involving Hoffman, and there are reasons why he wasn't able to land the contract a player with his point totals should.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I never said I believed Karlsson's story. Just that there are constantly issues involving Hoffman, and there are reasons why he wasn't able to land the contract a player with his point totals should.

So you're saying you've never seen a player sign a 1 year deal for less money to go to a contender? Are you new to hockey? Or do you not know what this is?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So you're saying you've never seen a player sign a 1 year deal for less money to go to a contender? Are you new to hockey? Or do you not know what this is?

Im saying I think he was shorter on options than you do. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Im saying I think he was shorter on options than you do. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Friedman and Lebrun have both reported Hoffman had 10-15 teams reach out, multiples offers on the table and it's Hoffman's choice to take a 1 year deal but hey what do they know, some guy on his couch says he barely made it :laugh:

Last edited:

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Huh? So Hoffman was the victim in that situation? What a weird take
Actually not that weird of a take. I live in ottawa and as things developed with the whole situation, Hoffman was portrayed as the bad guy. Then as things progressed after they were both traded, and with the media doing more digging it seemed more and more likely that the Karlsson’s fabricated quite a big chunk of their story.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Friedman and Lebrun have both reported Hoffman had 10-15 teams reach out, multiples offers on the table and it's Hoffman's choice to take a 1 year deal but hey what do they know, some guy on his couch says he barely made it :laugh:

10-15 teams reaching out and making offers doesn't that mean any of them were offering big fat long term contracts.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
10-15 teams reaching out and making offers doesn't that mean any of them were offering big fat long term contracts.

Because most players taking long terms deals in this year's market aren't maximizing their earning potential? Did you miss Taylor Hall not getting a long term contract as well or did he barely make it onto the Buffalo Sabres?

Curious as to why you think a respected team like the Blues who are cup contending would bring on a lockeroom cancer though, since it's well documented and all.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
To be honest did not want Hoffman for the Bruins , but I agree with what you posted. Typical Sweeney cannot make a deal unless it is for a depth player , he wrote the book on signing that type of player .

You may not have wanted him but you can't deny 60+ points in 60 games. This just made blues that more dangerous.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Because most players taking long terms deals in this year's market aren't maximizing their earning potential? Did you miss Taylor Hall not getting a long term contract as well or did he barely make it onto the Buffalo Sabres?

Curious as to why you think a respected team like the Blues who are cup contending would bring on a lockeroom cancer though, since it's well documented and all.

You seem to be putting words in my mouth and arguing against stuff I never said.

All I said was I think hoffmans issues made teams hesitant to hand him out a fat contract, and the fact that he only got 4 million for one year is evidence to that.

The blues aren't taking much of a risk. They're giving a dynamic forward a small 1 year contract. He's a complimentary piece, and a nice one. I think the blues will be fine with the signing.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You seem to be putting words in my mouth and arguing against stuff I never said.

All I said was I think hoffmans issues made teams hesitant to hand him out a fat contract, and the fact that he only got 4 million for one year is evidence to that.

The blues aren't taking much of a risk. They're giving a dynamic forward a small 1 year contract. He's a complimentary piece, and a nice one. I think the blues will be fine with the signing.
A little bizarre to think this is a significant factor with the public information that cast considerable doubt on the Karlsson’s version of events. There’s this local current event called a global pandemic that is much more likely to be dictating the one-year deal as being preferable for both parties. After reading several posts from you, you seem to have a personal grudge against Hoffman since you seem to ignore the most recent developments in that saga.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Doubt the Blues would be able to afford to sign him past this year with Schwartz and Parayko needing extensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad