Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Mike Hoffman signs with the Blues (1 year, $4M)

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Can’t go wrong with a 1 yr deal to replace Tarasenko while he’s out. I doubt it will happen but if he comes back healthy at the end of the year that could be the best offensive team the Blues have iced.

I just worry about the backend. Losing Jbow hurt. Then Petro. Really only have one good defensive dman.

Scadella and parayko makes two

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Cheap cheap

Will be interesting to see how he fits in with the Blues. He's a guy that needs the puck a lot to be effective. Could be one of the best acquisitions of the offseason if he clicks on the PP. Wonder if Berube can scare him into backchecking.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Cheap cheap

Will be interesting to see how he fits in with the Blues. He's a guy that needs the puck a lot to be effective. Could be one of the best acquisitions of the offseason if he clicks on the PP. Wonder if Berube can scare him into backchecking.
He is on a line with Schwartz and Thomas this will be big for him

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'd be willing to bet both along are top 3 this year, but I wouldn't bet which is first. That powerplay is insane because of Mcdrai without a doubt. But that Blues one just looks like such a complete unit that I can't help but think it will be murder taking a penalty against the blues.

Krug - one of the top pp QB dmen in the league.

Hoffman - one of the best power play left handed shooters in the league.

Tank - see Hoffman but right handed.

RoR always been an insane distributor on the power play

Perron - great dirty goal guy to crash the net and screen the goalie.

Atleast in my opinion this power play has a top 5 guy for his respective spot on a modern standard powerplay and think it will be deadly.

2 shooters (1 rh 1 lh), 1 Qb, 1 great distributor, and a fantastic greasey goal guy. I think this will be a sum is greater than the parts PP.

Not to get too off topic, but Perron has one of the best wrist shots in the league and shoots right. While he is a greasy player in some ways, he's much more of a shooter on the power play. Along with Hoffman, we've got elite triggermen on both sides. Can't wait to see this pp in action.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cheap cheap

He's more of a shooter/finisher, not so much a puck carrier. That shot is deadly though.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I think the argument moving forward this year is going to be Schwartz vs Hoffman. If Hoffman and Thomas jell together like I think they will, keeping Hoffman moving forward could be a smart play. Schwartz is a fantastic player, he's more than capable of playing well defensively and has really good offensive instincts, but you can't teach a player to shoot like Hoffman does. You either have it or you don't. With a solid year from Kyrou, Hoffman is likely going to spot you 20/25 goals even in this shortened season, Schwartz may be the guy who has to walk in free agency, if you think Hoffman is worth keeping.

The key moving forward for the Blues is simple. Sign Colton Parayko. If you let him leave in free agency, then you might as well sell everything off, because you're going no where. That's the simplicity of things. I think the Hoffman signing was needed to make up for the loss of Tarasenko. If you can move into next year with a Healthy Tarasenko on one line, and Hoffman on the other, they are going to feast on opposing defenses. It'll basically be a pick your poison top of situation.

Obviously if Hoffman flops in St. Louis, this entire argument is moot point.

Reactions: Em etah Eh

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think the argument moving forward this year is going to be Schwartz vs Hoffman. If Hoffman and Thomas jell together like I think they will, keeping Hoffman moving forward could be a smart play. Schwartz is a fantastic player, he's more than capable of playing well defensively and has really good offensive instincts, but you can't teach a player to shoot like Hoffman does. You either have it or you don't. With a solid year from Kyrou, Hoffman is likely going to spot you 20/25 goals even in this shortened season, Schwartz may be the guy who has to walk in free agency, if you think Hoffman is worth keeping.

The key moving forward for the Blues is simple. Sign Colton Parayko. If you let him leave in free agency, then you might as well sell everything off, because you're going no where. That's the simplicity of things. I think the Hoffman signing was needed to make up for the loss of Tarasenko. If you can move into next year with a Healthy Tarasenko on one line, and Hoffman on the other, they are going to feast on opposing defenses. It'll basically be a pick your poison top of situation.

Obviously if Hoffman flops in St. Louis, this entire argument is moot point.

You have the following players coming off the books

Carl gunnerson -1.75mil
Tyler bozak - 5.0 mil
Alex Steen - 5.75 mil

This adds up to 12.5 million dollars. So 4-5 to Schwartz and prayko and binnington.
That leaves 6 for Hoffman. We have plenty of young players that can take bozaks spot

We will lose a player to expansion and we will most likely trade dunn so anywhere from 1 to 6.5 mil depends. So we will leave this out.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You have the following players coming off the books

Carl gunnerson -1.75mil
Tyler bozak - 5.0 mil
Alex Steen - 5.75 mil

This adds up to 12.5 million dollars. So 4-5 to Schwartz and prayko and binnington.
That leaves 6 for Hoffman. We have plenty of young players that can take bozaks spot

We will lose a player to expansion and we will most likely trade dunn so anywhere from 1 to 6.5 mil depends. So we will leave this out.
Steen is on LTIR this year. So that isn't extra money you have to spend.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Steen is on LTIR this year. So that isn't extra money you have to spend.
My projections are for next year. Steens contract ends this year. We are using it to pay for Hoffman and Dunn. Next season it is off the books. So not sure what you mean by your statement.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My projections are for next year. Steens contract ends this year. We are using it to pay for Hoffman and Dunn. Next season it is off the books. So not sure what you mean by your statement.
Your math is bad. You count it towards the $12mm you are freeing up. But Steen's money isn't freed up because it isn't part of this year's cap spending.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Your math is bad. You count it towards the $12mm you are freeing up. But Steen's money isn't freed up because it isn't part of this year's cap spending.

Your reasoning doesn't seem to have any logic. All you need to see is what is tied up in contracts in 21-22, minus any likely LTIRs.

What's with this freeing up or freeing down stuff ?

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Even with covid this seems slightly under market value. I'd still see it as fair up to 5m and maybe a bit more. The blues will still be competitive and have one of the top poweplays in the league (on paper), so I guess Hoffman is betting on himself and a new glut of mid tier players hitting f/a again this yr combined with sea joining the league to have the market pumped up next off season.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

But yes steens salary hit is apart of the cap. We get to spend up to 5.75 over the cap for ltir relief. So next year when steens contract is over 5.75 will be freed up. So add that with bozak 5.0 and gunner 1.75 equals.... drum roll

12.5 whatever you are trying to say is wrong.

We will have that much plus possibly more depending on who gets drafted by seatle to resign parayko. Schwartz and make an offer to Hoffman. Who honestly may enjoy our team and locker room and stick around for 6 ish never know.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Your reasoning doesn't seem to have any logic. All you need to see is what is tied up in contracts in 21-22, minus any likely LTIRs.

I was saying that steen bozak and gunners contracts end after this year and thats why it frees up cap for blues at 12.5 million. Not sure what he is saying

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
But yes steens salary hit is apart of the cap. We get to spend up to 5.75 over the cap for ltir relief. So next year when steens contract is over 5.75 will be freed up. So add that with bozak 5.0 and gunner 1.75 equals.... drum roll

12.5 whatever you are trying to say is wrong.

We will have that much plus possibly more depending on who gets drafted by seatle to resign parayko. Schwartz and make an offer to Hoffman. Who honestly may enjoy our team and locker room and stick around for 6 ish never know.
I know math is hard but you are doubling down on your mistake here. Gonna try this one more time. Steen is on LTIR so when that expires isn't going to give us any extra money to spend.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

That wasn't my reasoning. I was trying to translate his reasoning into English.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I know math is hard but you are doubling down on your mistake here. Gonna try this one more time. Steen is on LTIR so when that expires isn't going to give us any extra money to spend.

Bro wtf are you talking about. Next year the 21-22 season Steen is no longer under contract.... please god tell me how the hell his money is going to be on ltir..... please do tell.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That wasn't my reasoning. I was trying to translate his reasoning into English.
My man you are just plain wrong. When contracts run thier course they no longer count against the teams cap. So in 21-22 next years hockey season Steen, bozak and gunner are no longer under contract hence they don't count against the cap freeing up 12.5 mil in cap. So please tell me where I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad