Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Mike Hoffman signs with the Blues (1 year, $4M)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
A little bizarre to think this is a significant factor with the public information that cast considerable doubt on the Karlsson’s version of events. There’s this local current event called a global pandemic that is much more likely to be dictating the one-year deal as being preferable for both parties. After reading several posts from you, you seem to have a personal grudge against Hoffman since you seem to ignore the most recent developments in that saga.

Obviously that plays a part, but plenty of other players were scooped up pretty quickly by other teams. Lots of money was handed out to free agents. Yet Hoffman gets 4 million for one season 2 weeks before training camp.

Weird that you'd think I have a personal issue with the guy. Lots of weird responses in here to something that seems rather obvious to me.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A one year “show us you deserve more”deal?
Did Tofoli sign for more?

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
St. Louis is really changing things up with Krug and Hoffman but I like it. I dont care if hes a headache I lol watching Hoffman do his thing on the wing and cause coaches heartattacks.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like tougher more physical players on the Blues, but as long as he scores, I’ll take him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Obviously that plays a part, but plenty of other players were scooped up pretty quickly by other teams. Lots of money was handed out to free agents. Yet Hoffman gets 4 million for one season 2 weeks before training camp.

Weird that you'd think I have a personal issue with the guy. Lots of weird responses in here to something that seems rather obvious to me.

Hoffman was waiting to see if select teams could clear enough capspace to fit him this year. HE choose to wait it out to see his best options.

Or was that not obvious based on the insiders reporting it the entire summer or does your random narrative that Hoffman couldn't get any offers until this week somehow make more sense? :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Waterbuf

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
All these players who took 1 year deals are going to regret it down the line. They think they will cash in next summer but they won't. The league won't recover from covid for a few years, which means the cap will stay flat. Guys like Josh Anderson, TJ Brodie, Tyler Toffoli all made really smart moves.

Not necessarily. Say Hoffman has a banger of a year flanking ROR and Tarasenko. Teams will make room for him being dumping other players. Case in point, Vegas essentially gifting Vancouver Schmidt so they could sign Pietrangelo. That's what Hoffman is likely betting on. That, or he really only has a select few preferred destinations and hopes some of them will open up more next year.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Everyone seems to think 1 player can make or break a team. Yes 1 player can make a team better or worse, but the blues system doesn't rely on one player, its a team system. Thats even with out tarasenko they were division leaders last year.
This team is totally different than the defensive system team that won the cup. We lost one of the best defensive dmen in the league. Adding Krug and Hoffman will help offensively no doubt but I’m curious to see how our defense will look.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This team is totally different than the defensive system team that won the cup. We lost one of the best defensive dmen in the league. Adding Krug and Hoffman will help offensively no doubt but I’m curious to see how our defense will look.

The system will remain the same. Forcheck, backckeck, defense first, limiting shots and transition. The PP should be a strength, which is huge in the playoffs.

Reactions: BlueMed

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Hoffman got burned bad here, but he isn't the only one thanks to this market.
He could easily fetch 6x7 if everything was normal. Such an underrated offensive player.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
No petro was no the most defensive dman. Unless you mean Jaybo, I will give you that but he wasn't great till he was paired with parayko. Lets see how scandella does. Like I said it takes a team to play the way we do. Last year showed with tank, Jaybo going down the rest of the team stepped up. Like I said defense has gone down buy offense went way up. Lets give it a month or two before we start having doubts.

Reactions: CitizenSnips

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hoffman HAS to be lights out or his next contract will be worse then this one.

One of the issues I have with any player is that they are worth much less in my eyes if they can't play a 200 foot game. It makes no sense to score one...and soft play let's them score on his team. That's why someone like a Gainey's 25 goals are "worth" more then a 35 goal butterball who can't find his own end with a flashlight.

On the Hab's, Julien would probably bench Hoffman in close games.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Parayko is still on the team.

Reactions: Blueston

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hoffman HAS to be lights out or his next contract will be worse then this one.

One of the issues I have with any player is that they are worth much less in my eyes if they can't play a 200 foot game. It makes no sense to score one...and soft play let's them score on his team. That's why someone like a Gainey's 25 goals are "worth" more then a 35 goal butterball who can't find his own end with a flashlight.

On the Hab's, Julien would probably bench Hoffman in close games.

Your coach plays Drouin, let's him make dumb plays all day and night unpunished, this is all fluff he ain't benching shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
I have a strange feeling that Berube will browbeat many of the alleged defensive deficiencies out of Hoffman because he doesn't take kindly to folks who don't play the right way I.E. a 200 foot game.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I just want to bring up something I have been thinking about. Everyone claims to be worried about Colorado and we have proven over the last couple years that our defense first priority is barely hanging on against the Avs. Switching it up with Krug and Hoffman and going for a much more offensive team while still holding true to team defense could have some really interesting results when it comes to Colorado games. Might be some really entertaining games.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don’t see how they aren’t contenders.

Out

Pietrangelo + Steen

In

Krug + Hoffman

Blues obviously taking a big hit defensively but Krug and Hoffman are both powerplay studs and the Blues have zero holes and a pretty heavy forward lineup built around O’Reilly, Schenn and Perron. Add Thomas coming up and Hoffman I don’t see many better clubs in the west

Because our defense has taken a massive hit. That’s why they aren’t contenders.

We’re probably third in the West division this year and if the definition of contender is simply playoff team, then sure I guess.

But I don’t see a legit Cup contender unless someone surprises the hell out of me on the defensive side.

Still, it’s an excellent deal for the Blues and maybe it is the best option for Hoffman as well

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

We’re probably third in the West division this year and if the definition of contender is simply playoff team, then sure I guess.

But I don’t see a legit Cup contender unless someone surprises the hell out of me on the defensive side.

Still, it’s an excellent deal for the Blues and maybe it is the best option for Hoffman as well
We downgraded petro to krug, yes, but we also replaced steen with hoffman and are otherwise the same team that led the nhl central division last year. Also so.e other guys like dunn and kyrou continue to grow with experience and maybe mikkola as well.

We will at least be making the playoffs.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Losing Pietrangelo is huge but how many teams that ever lost someone that good had a Parayko waiting in the wings. Krug can’t replace Pietrangelo on D obviously but he’s easily one of the best offensive D in the league and having a Colton as his partner he’s gonna be dangerous

Most teams in the league would be envious of that pairing. I’d do cartwheels if Edmonton had them.

When I look at the Western clubs on paper only Colorado strikes me as better. Vegas and Dallas still up there. Dallas without Seguin healthy and their forward core getting on in years Radulov, Benn and Pavelski eventually the wheels fall off. Vegas still solid top end but slowly losing depth due to the cap. I don’t see who’s truly ahead outside of Colorado who I think is the best in the west

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad