Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Mike Hoffman signs with the Blues (1 year, $4M)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I would not feel comfortable right now with the top 6 without Tarasenko.

There’s also no guarantee that Tarasenko comes back healthy this season.
there's no guarantee tarasenko is ever right again. major shoulder injuries are so devastating and especially ones that are near blowout level like tanks.

shoulder injuries like that are EXTREMELY succeptible to re-injury (as evident by tarasenko himself as this is this third shoulder injury I believe) and the shoulder socket gets so f***ed it's like it's held together by rubber bands and just pops out or re-tears at minor stresses at odd angles.

calvin dehaan is another one that has had shoulders made of glass dating back to his junior days

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He could've gotten term if he wanted elsewhere, Hoffman really only wanted to go to select teams this year due to the market. He's gambling on a better market next year while taking a less money to go to a contender in his prime this year.

Dadonov got 5m for 3 years, Hoffman would've easily gotten more, it's not that he could only get 4m on the market it's the Blues can only afford so much.

There are also some very well known locker room issues that come with Hoffman. Teams pay attention to that kinda stuff and will be hesitant giving long term contracts to players with his reputation.

4 million for 1 season isn't a bad move for St Louis though, Hoffman will be motivated as ever to land a longer term contract next fall.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There are also some very well known locker room issues that come with Hoffman. Teams pay attention to that kinda stuff and will be hesitant giving long term contracts to players with his reputation.

4 million for 1 season isn't a bad move for St Louis though, Hoffman will be motivated as ever to land a longer term contract next fall.

What well known locker room issues? Silly to bring up fabricated stories when the guy a team like St.louis is lining up for his service. Karlsson didn't have an issue getting 7 years despite making up lies about his teammate and blowing a team internally but then again looking at the state of the Sharks I wonder if they should've have "looked more carefully".

Reactions: BlueDream and Jtown

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I'm curious to hear more about where this number is coming from, is it just a wild guess? There was not much of a leak leading up to this and you think the GM and player would be pretty tight-lipped about having a handshake deal in place, in case the league got wind and got upset about 'cap circumvention'.
How is waiting for LTIR to kick in to sign a deal cap circumvention? Isn’t the reason LTIR exists is so teams can use the cap of long term injured players to supplement the team while the player is out?

Reactions: CCBC

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
What well known locker room issues? Silly to bring up fabricated stories when the guy a team like St.louis is lining up for his service. Karlsson didn't have an issue getting 7 years despite making up lies about his teammate and blowing a team internally but then again looking at the state of the Sharks I wonder if they should've have "looked more carefully".
Man this reads like mike Hoffman wrote it

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Nice move by the blues! They're still a really tough team who could go far and possibly win the thing again. Especially if they get healthy.

Reactions: Blueston

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hoffmans taint smells. No one want to touch him unless it's cheap.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

They said ror was a locker room cancer and now not only did he leD us to a cup he is our captain.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Not sure why you'd decide Hoffman's version of that story is the truth. Ottawa is a small town, and hockey players are the closest thing we get to celebrities here, word gets around. You can chose not to believe me, but I've been close enough involved in the social circles those guys are in to know it wasn't exactly a secret. Hoffman wasn't much liked in that locker room and that was known well before he and his wife got mixed up with the Karlssons in all that craziness. He's had issues with multiple coaches, there are some clips out there of his confrontations with coaches in his senators years if you wanna take a look. You can watch him play and see his compete level when things get tough. It goes on and on.

I never claimed that he was a cancer, but its hard to argue that he isn't a selfish player and he has had well documented clashes with several coaches. You can decide if you want to believe the rumours or not.

But it seems to me a lot of teams were a little skeptical as well, seeing as a guy who produced at close to a point per game clip in the previous two seasons could barely find himself a one year 4 million dollar deal less than two weeks before training camp starts.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
All these players who took 1 year deals are going to regret it down the line. They think they will cash in next summer but they won't. The league won't recover from covid for a few years, which means the cap will stay flat. Guys like Josh Anderson, TJ Brodie, Tyler Toffoli all made really smart moves.

It’s not just about the cap staying flat, it’s that owners know there’s going to be very little revenue this year so many teams are cutting payroll. Next season when there’s more certainly about when fans will be in buildings again owners are going to be more willing to spend. Guys taking one year deals are absolutely making the right call because it can’t get any worse than it is currently, it will only get better.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Are the Blues still contenders? Can't say I'm certain we are.

I don’t see how they aren’t contenders.

Out

Pietrangelo + Steen

In

Krug + Hoffman

Blues obviously taking a big hit defensively but Krug and Hoffman are both powerplay studs and the Blues have zero holes and a pretty heavy forward lineup built around O’Reilly, Schenn and Perron. Add Thomas coming up and Hoffman I don’t see many better clubs in the west

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
All these players who took 1 year deals are going to regret it down the line. They think they will cash in next summer but they won't. The league won't recover from covid for a few years, which means the cap will stay flat. Guys like Josh Anderson, TJ Brodie, Tyler Toffoli all made really smart moves.

A few of these guys will cash in with Seattle coming in. Zero chance that Seattle doesn’t exploit the UFA pool and lack of teams able to compete financially against them.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yaaaaa.... But remember the off-season when everyone said Myers was going to get 7x7? Then he ended up at 6mil for 5 years? GMs get crazy, but I don’t see them offering 7x7 to a 31 year old forward who is just about to start his decline. 7mil on a 4 or 5 year term maybe, but I don’t see him getting term and value. But hey, who knows.

San Jose very recently gave all 3 of their aging blueliners big money and long term before Covid.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I think what we need to be worried about here is Hoffman’s well documented killing of locker rooms.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
You really think a player on a 1 year deal is going to have a huge negative impact on a team who's won a Stanley Cup in the last 16 months? That's as ridiculous a thing as I've read in 15 years on these boards.
Its funny ROR WAS the locker room cancer from buff.... now look at him lol

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Like with Duchene and Hall, he comes included with a hockey curse :skeptic:

But at least they got him with 50% discount :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad