Confirmed Trade: [STL/BUF] Ryan O'Reilly for 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I believe he's been quoted as saying he was most comfortable when playing at center, but Philly used him on the wing for the most part. He also has really good chemistry with Schwartz. I'd say his success in St. Louis is a combination of those two factors and maybe sprinkle a bit of change of scenery on top.

Dig this: as much as we heard Flyers fans say he couldn't play center at the time of the trade, I have since seen multiple Flyers fans say he couldn't play wing for them and it was always going to work out for the Blues because they had room to play him at center.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't see why everyone is fighting over this. The Blues know exactly what they got in ROR and are extremely happy with it. The dumpage of 7.5 mill in salary was just an added bonus.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Before the trade blues fans - OReilly isn't that good maybe a 2nd line center meh

After the trade - we got Wayne Greztky

You're kind of correct about that, but much of it i think has to do with the Buffalo fans opinions and comments regarding the trade. They are greatly bemoaning the loss of their "second best player".

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Before the trade blues fans - OReilly isn't that good maybe a 2nd line center meh

I'm a Blues fan and never said that. But I am happy that the two most criticized Blues from last year now play for the Sabres. We've been arguing for the past year which one of Berglund and Sobotka we wanted gone more, so congrats for getting both of them!

Reactions: STLomacneko

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
is ryan oreilly the most overrated player of the past 20 years?

his even strength point production the last 2 seasons is on par with riley nash lol... and nash spent half that time on the 4th line.

for a supposed defensive wizard... oreilly gets scored on regular. sure hes individually talented... but he cant bring out the best in his linemates the way real great defenders like Bergeron, toews, kopitar do

hes supposedly all that and a bag of chips too as far as character/leadership... but a young Colorado team desperate for leadership and charater had no issues moving him... a young buffalo team desperate for leadership had no issues moving him

I don't get the appeal. if this guy was only making 3 million then sure... hell yeah... hed be someone id love for my 3rd line. he has all the makings of an above average 3rd liner.

but dude is owed 7.5 cap hit for next 5 years... holy crap and the deal is loaded with signing bonus making it buyout proof.

hes a horse with 21 mins of icetime per game... but his team is losing the battle in those mins... his offense has seen him core 155 goals in 651 games... he doesn't even average 20 goals a season...

throws the body 291 times in 651 games despite being a ruggad 215 pounder...

this guy must have the best press agent in the world to have people convinced hes not a buyout candidate.

fully predict st louis will be desperately shopping him within 2 seasons... but how the hell did they get suckered into taking him this time? I really thought only montreal would be desperate enough to bite on this disaster

Reactions: Saxon Eric

blueper

Mar 29, 2012

his even strength point production the last 2 seasons is on par with riley nash lol... and nash spent half that time on the 4th line.

for a supposed defensive wizard... oreilly gets scored on regular. sure hes individually talented... but he cant bring out the best in his linemates the way real great defenders like Bergeron, toews, kopitar do

hes supposedly all that and a bag of chips too as far as character/leadership... but a young Colorado team desperate for leadership and charater had no issues moving him... a young buffalo team desperate for leadership had no issues moving him

I don't get the appeal. if this guy was only making 3 million then sure... hell yeah... hed be someone id love for my 3rd line. he has all the makings of an above average 3rd liner.

but dude is owed 7.5 cap hit for next 5 years... holy crap and the deal is loaded with signing bonus making it buyout proof.

hes a horse with 21 mins of icetime per game... but his team is losing the battle in those mins... his offense has seen him core 155 goals in 651 games... he doesn't even average 20 goals a season...

this guy must have the best press agent in the world to have people convinced hes not a buyout candidate.

fully predict st louis will be desperately shopping him within 2 seasons... but how the hell did they get suckered into taking him this time? I really thought only montreal would be desperate enough to bite on this disaster

That is a much different picture than what most Sabres fans are saying as they bemoan the trade and the loss of one of their best players. At least that's what they are saying.

Reactions: iSophagus

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That is a much different picture than what most Sabres fans are saying as they bemoan the trade and the loss of one of their best players. At least that's what they are saying.

again... to my point... is he that overrated? even my fellow bruin fans say this guy is great.

the numbers and results and the way hes so disposable just doesn't seem to back it up

I remember a young dion Phaneuf here in Calgary and man did I ever like him... hit like a tank... was a 20 goal guy... seemed to be on the verge of Norris trophy consideration

but... the team didn't like what they were seeing... moved him in a bit of a shocker to Toronto...

and things went down hill quickly after that... despite the fans there holding out hope... telling everyone that would listen he was still a true number 1 dman.

and finally Toronto was so desperate to move him they ate contract and took cap dumps to make it happen...

and Ottawa fans {and myself} thought a fresh start... playing behind karlsson… could bring out the best in this guy...

but... it sure didn't take long for Ottawa to become desperate to move that contract too.

Phaneuf is now being paid reasonable for a second pair guy in LA... and he doesn't totally suck. but he was never that offensive jugernaught they said he was. he was never that character leader that deserved a C... he wasn't really even that great defensively

Phaneuf has earnt the reputation for being overrated early in his career. no amount of fan teeth gnashing in Calgary or even Toronto over his trades will change that. as time passes, the story of Phaneuf gets clear and we all see how wrong we were.

I learnt my lesson there... but I want to get ahead of the curve on Oreilly. cause this one seems like a fright train headed down the track. I honestly don't get how everyone else cant see it too

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

He is definitely one of the most overrated players in the game. Would I want him on my team? Of course. But not at 7.5M and not playing 20-21 minutes a game. That being said, I don't mind the deal for St. Louis. They didn't give up much and were able to shed two bad players/contracts in the deal, offsetting ROR's high cap hit.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

ROR was arguably their 2nd best player, that's why they finished in the basement of the NHL.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Most see him as a low 1c, but more as an out standing 2c. Theres too many opinions to track to see if some flopped.

A for effort :laugh:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Yeah no most blues fans said we would like him but not at the cost of Thomas, kyrou, Dunn, parayko or really fabbri. Also most bug fans were like ROR is better than schenn 1c great team player now they are like, he is complete head case/ locker room problem lol. Just admit your a little bitter right now. You expected one of those guys mentioned and botterhil left a sour taste in your mouth

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Yeah no most blues fans said we would like him but not at the cost of Thomas, kyrou, Dunn, parayko or really fabbri. Also most bug fans were like ROR is better than schenn 1c great team player now they are like, he is complete head case/ locker room problem lol. Just admit your a little bitter right now. You expected one of those guys mentioned and botterhil left a sour taste in your mouth

If this is the case why is the overwhelming consensus from Buffalo fans that we lost the deal? Take a quick trip to the Sabres board before you start posting this garbage.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Yep. Most Sabs fans liked ROR and dislike the trade not only because they feel they didn't get enough in return but also because they didn't see any reason to ship ROR away.
However, the Phaneuf comparison up above may have some validity. I just think/hope it doesn't. I know from media comments that several Blues players are happy to see him in St. Louis. We'll see how it turns out.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well luck for the blues he won't be the second best player on the team

1)petro
2)tarasenko
3)Schwartz
4)schenn
5)parayko
6)ROR
7)EDMUNDSON
Ect

He's going to play more minutes for you next year than every single forward on that list. I'd bet my house on it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo didn't get bent. The Blues spent a lot of assets to get him. He's a great fit for our team, and that is why they did it. Our needs were met, as well as Buffalo's.

Quantity for quality trade. Spending "a lot" of assets doesn't make the trade fair, or even decent, for Buffalo. 5 years from now, it's entirely possible it turns out the Sabres literally traded ROR for nothing. The Blues will still have ROR.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
So, fans from the East, compare ROR to Schenn for Blues fans. Thanks.

Schenn is the faster of the two for sure. What you'll like about O'Reilly is his ability to take a late draw in the offensive or defensive zone. He's not the fleetest of skaters but he's a smooth facilitator and can score on the PP with a decent enough shot. He is an effective two way player, but does have his callouses. I think he's the perfect type of player for the Blues as they push for a Stanley Cup. All in all, the more I've let the trade settle in the more I'm "okay" with the veterans coming back. I disliked the idea of having to take on all but 300K in salary when we traded the best player. However, Botterill has continued to say that he wants NHL caliber talent and this does add bottom six depth which we've had the worst luck in the world developing. The Sabres will just need to find a way to get rid of a few of their bottom dwellers and I will be fine with this long term. The 1st, 2nd and Thompson are pieces the Sabres can use now and in the near future to improve elsewhere. If they can move Bogosian as an example were he to stay healthy that is the type of move we need. To get rid of some of the old. Botts, has done a lot to quell the roster of Murray's player acquisitions. Now we just need to get rid of the last two: Bogosian / Moulson.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
If this is the case why is the overwhelming consensus from Buffalo fans that we lost the deal? Take a quick trip to the Sabres board before you start posting this garbage.
I wasn't posting garbage but fact. I'm not sure why many are bitter over this deal you got three picks and two roster players

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Buffalo fans were sure Thomas, Kyrou, or Parayko would be a part of any deal. None of those pieces were moved. I think that's where the narrative comes from.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yep. Most Sabs fans liked ROR and dislike the trade not only because they feel they didn't get enough in return but also because they didn't see any reason to ship ROR away.
However, the Phaneuf comparison up above may have some validity. I just think/hope it doesn't. I know from media comments that several Blues players are happy to see him in St. Louis. We'll see how it turns out.
Did you take a trip to the sabers board before you came to that conclusion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad