Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
I just watched a TikTok that had all the angles of the OT goal and holy crap no maple leaf on the ice make an attempt to get the puck., they f***ing stop skating. From watching live I thought Nylander was the only one with a controller disconnected moment, but all 5 of them weren't connected.
They started skating late.They dont know what playoff hockey is.Still sucks,and feel bad for me,and them...the way we lose..Jesus.
At least we found a goalie,and the defense was good enough for most of the series.Hope they dont blow it up stupidly.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If I was ever good enough to play, and I just lost a game 7, I wouldn't participate in the post game interviews either. Too much emotion.

That's what the few days later end of year interviews are for

Honestly i think it's something players should do for the fans who just had their heart broken too. Hockey is entertainment. Talking to the press is part of the job, even after a crushing loss.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
They started skating late.They dont know what playoff hockey is.Still sucks,and feel bad for me,and them...the way we lose..Jesus.
At least we found a goalie,and the defense was good enough for most of the series.
ou found 2. Samsonov was good as well. Hes being unfairly scapegoated, but he played well enough to win that game and then some.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
ou found 2. Samsonov was good as well. Hes being unfairly scapegoated, but he played well enough to win that game and then some.
Yeah Samsonov is a good number 2.Our offence has to figure out how to score more,and the lines in the reg season should be changed come playoff time.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think there needs to be less emphasis on the GM and HC being the problem then the players themselves. How many coaches do they need to go through to realize that the core 5 are just not capable of leading a team through the playoffs?

The only player consistent enough in the playoffs is maybe Nylander. Marner, Tavares, and especially Matthews were all invisible most of the series. Fans love to boast about how great Matthews is and his scoring titles and all that (which don't get me wrong is a feat in itself) but at the end of the day it means absolutely nothing if you cant translate that into playoff success.

It's like they just completely shut down
It's more Shanny than the GMs I think, he's mandated that the core 4 must stay together, and effectively handicaps his GMs from really building a team . Keefe also is just always a step behind other coaches in the X's and O's matchups. I don't think he's leading any team to a Stanley Cup. I agree about Nylander, but he's still no major playoff producer. They're best bet is to build around Matthews, Knies, Cowen, Minten, and some other youngsters and bring in a few new vets up front and hope they can spark Matthews in the playoffs. Because obviously Marner, Nylander, and Tavares aren't doing it .

Reactions: thegazelle

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I just watched a TikTok that had all the angles of the OT goal and holy crap no maple leaf on the ice make an attempt to get the puck., they f***ing stop skating. From watching live I thought Nylander was the only one with a controller disconnected moment, but all 5 of them weren't connected.
It's a great play by Boston executed perfectly, it wasn't a "controller disconnected" moment. The players were trying their best out there, they just didn't read it well

People keep blaming different Leafs for the play, and if there's one I'd probably blame Marner, but this was a lot more of Boston executing perfectly than the Leafs giving it to the Bruins. I don't know how you watch the last couple of games of this series and think the Leafs' players out there weren't trying or disconnected

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It’s always the D’s responsibility when a single forward gets behind the D. That’s peewee coverage.
That's a very simplistic analysis that doesn't account for different systems being used

In this instance, Marner had the main responsibility to limit the speed of Pastrnak while Rielly would attempt to recover the puck on the dump-in

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's a great play by Boston executed perfectly, it wasn't a "controller disconnected" moment. The players were trying their best out there, they just didn't read it well

People keep blaming different Leafs for the play, and if there's one I'd probably blame Marner, but this was a lot more of Boston executing perfectly than the Leafs giving it to the Bruins
Reilly was brutal on that play. You can’t let a forward get behind you like that.
It’s both a great play by Pasta and a brain dead move by Reilly. Both are true.

That's a very simplistic analysis that doesn't account for different systems being used

In this instance, Marner had the main responsibility to limit the speed of Pastrnak while Rielly would attempt to recover the puck on the dump-in
Yes it’s simplistic because this is basic pee wee level hockey. As a D you never let a forward get behind you. You’re over complicating things here. It’s hockey fundamentals. An NHL defenseman shouldn’t let that happen especially in OT.

Reactions: stampedingviking

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

It was obvious to Rielly very early that Marner didn't impede Pasta at all. Therefore he needed to switch onto him. Another option would be to take the puck but that would expose himself to a hit. If a rookie dman sat like a pylon like Rielly did there, he'd be in the press box. There is no excuse to do nothing.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Honestly i think it's something players should do for the fans who just had their heart broken too. Hockey is entertainment. Talking to the press is part of the job, even after a crushing loss.
Agree. I generally think the interviews are best when emotions are high. People like to just see raw emotions and perhaps even some passion.

Where the interviews often fail are in between periods, when you get a person who just gives a scripted answer. How many times have we heard "we just gotta step it up" or "we just need to play our game" and "gotta keep the pucks out of our net" or "have to do a better job to put pucks in their net".

You wait a few days and ask about the game - emotions would have died down and players/management would have had time to come up with a neatly scripted answer.

I remember a couple of years back when the Avs won, and they interviewed Kadri, and while I probably would have used different language, I loved that his raw emotion of proving the doubters wrong came out when he said something to the effect of "to all those who doubted me, you can kiss my (behind)". Guy just won the cup, had all those tough years in Toronto and all that emotion can finally be released. It was awesome.

I still remember when Donovan Bailey beat the US guy (was it Carl Lewis, don't remember the name) in 1996 summer Olympics. CBC interviewed him right after he won and he said something along the lines of "we can do this again and I will beat his (behind) again". I think this why many of us love sports - the joy, the pain, the tears - it all comes out at a particular moment, unscripted, and it's great to see (as fans, anyway).

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
It was obvious to Rielly very early that Marner didn't impede Pasta at all. Therefore he needed to switch onto him. Another option would be to take the puck but that would expose himself to a hit. If a rookie dman sat like a pylon like Rielly did there, he'd be in the press box. There is no excuse to do nothing.
Marner should have skated with Pasternak.Our D was already exhausted.More team defence,especially in ot.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019

People keep blaming different Leafs for the play, and if there's one I'd probably blame Marner, but this was a lot more of Boston executing perfectly than the Leafs giving it to the Bruins. I don't know how you watch the last couple of games of this series and think the Leafs' players out there weren't trying or disconnected
Marner should be taking Pasternak,and then him and Riley can double team Pasternak there after the bounce.Samsonov did the right thing staying in his net.The forwards should be playing more team defence with not being able to score as much as they wanted to.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
From an executive perspective, Shanahan should be fired. 10 years is a long time in sports, terrible results. Seems like he's a road block to changes.
Agreed. Thankfully the new head of MLSE, Keith Pelley is new and with the new role he can do an honest deep dive into the Leafs' management and give Shanahan his walking papers. That will be the start of the much needed dominoes to fall in order to implement changes (as hard as they may be) in order to position the team for future success

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It's more Shanny than the GMs I think, he's mandated that the core 4 must stay together, and effectively handicaps his GMs from really building a team . Keefe also is just always a step behind other coaches in the X's and O's matchups. I don't think he's leading any team to a Stanley Cup. I agree about Nylander, but he's still no major playoff producer. They're best bet is to build around Matthews, Knies, Cowen, Minten, and some other youngsters and bring in a few new vets up front and hope they can spark Matthews in the playoffs. Because obviously Marner, Nylander, and Tavares aren't doing it .
It sell tickets 😁

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The puck went through the blue paint and he didn't bother to stop it before it got to Pastrnak
In your Bizzaro world, maybe...

At least we found a goalie,and the defense was good enough for most of the series.Hope they dont blow it up stupidly.
An often-injured one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad