Confirmed Trade: [STL/BUF] Ryan O'Reilly for 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Unsure what happened with my last post.

I think the value of the trade won’t be known till we know where pucks are and what sobatja and berglund return.

Sobotka....

Buffalo can retain 50% in January and he would be free thus year and $1.8-$2,1M to new team in @9/20 . Thus can get a playoff team 2nd.

With berglund, he would be a deadline 1920 or offseason 20 at 50% and Gus cap hit around $2M for 2 more yrs and also get a playoff teams 2nd.

I think given what blues fans have said, and how his contract is structured. I could see berglund retire in 20 and become an asdf coach given the large number of Swedes buffalo would have in their system.

For St. Louis 1st, I see it being 13-21next year. I see Nashville and Winnipeg ahead and the other 4 teams being bunched up battling for 3rd and 2 WC. No matter how good a team is they could funish 6th in thus division and not make the playoffs.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Buffalo did fine in the trade. Blues got a key missing piece. Everybody happy. As somebody mentioned, it’s like the trade last year. Blues are thrilled to have Schenn and be free of Lehtera’s contract, and the Flyers are thrilled to have Frost and Farabee. Trades can be win-win

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I don't think it's unrealistic for ROR to hit at least 60 just based on linemates and the depth of the Blues. ROR's never really had a goal scorer like Tarasenko on his wing, nor the depth that this Blues team has now to take advantage in the matchup game. Unlike last year, there will be two lines that you need to worry about shutting down instead of one. This was a huge issue for the Blues last year.

Wouldn't be surprised if he hits 60-70.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am not a Sabres fan so it is hard for me to judge from the Sabres perspective. So all I can do is judge as a Blues fan.

As a Blues fan this was a win. We gave up a lot but nothing that we couldn't afford to lose.

After our signings earlier that day (Perron and Bozak), Sobotka and Berglund became the redundant pieces in our top 9.

Thompson is a really good prospect but he was valued by our fanbase as our 4th best in what is a very deep prospect pool at forward.

The 1st round pick hurts the most but again our prospect pool is deep enough to absorb the hit.

The second rounder is a throw in that is so far off the player chosen likely wouldn't have ever made any impact in the Blues current window.

So while I agree that the Blues may have paid $1.15 for a solid dollar. That $1.15 was made up of the loose change found in our couch cushions.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
For St. Louis 1st, I see it being 13-21next year. I see Nashville and Winnipeg ahead and the other 4 teams being bunched up battling for 3rd and 2 WC. No matter how good a team is they could funish 6th in thus division and not make the playoffs.

I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money that the Blues won't finish 6th in their division.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Even the hockey guy on YouTube said blues fans said this about stastny.

Entitled “how bad will it be buffalo” (a series he is doing in the bottom ten teams from last year)

Uploaded this morning

The hockey guy talks to every teams fans so apparently some did.

I don’t doubt fans cheered for him too though.

The hockey guy is smart but the hockey guy is wrong, you can't trade ROR for 2 bottom 6 forwards 2 picks and a prospect and then call your forwards better you simply can't do that

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money that the Blues won't finish 6th in their division.
Right?

They finished 5th last year, 1 point out of 4th, with no Fabbri, no Schwartz for 7 weeks, no Stastny for 5 weeks, and finished the year with Brodziak as their 2C.

Swap Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak, Thompson and Stastny for O’Reilly, Bozak, Perron, Fabbri and Thomas and with similar injury issues to the prior season your team is 5-10 points better. With better injury luck, you’re 10-15 points better and in the mix for the division lead. After all, it’s not like anyone else in the Central has gone out and made any significant improvements.

The only way they finish 6th is if 3 or more of their Top 6/Top 4 miss more than 2-3 months each and no one steps up to fill the void. In fact, I think Allen could regularly melt into a puddle and this team would still make the playoffs if they stay relatively healthy.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I do wonder how Tarasenko and ROR will work on the ice. O’Reilly likes to leave it all on the ice and Tank likes to do multiple fly bys per game. Gotta wonder if Tank is going to up his game in the d-zone or if ROR will say anything to him about it. I don’t think O’Reilly is going to just accept it that’s for sure. Could be a clash but I’m hoping we see another level out of Tank instead.

I think O’Reilly and Tarasenko have the potential to be Marchand/Bergeron west, but if you expect Ryan to get in people’s faces you will be disappointed. His idea of making people accountable is to passive-aggressively talk about how it’s all on him and how he has to be better.

I know, terrible huh? But it definitely became tiresome to Sabre media and teammates who got sick of hearing it and questioned its authenticity.

He’s a tremendously hard worker, but he’s not someone people rally around.

Reactions: Eichel9

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Even the hockey guy on YouTube said blues fans said this about stastny.

Entitled “how bad will it be buffalo” (a series he is doing in the bottom ten teams from last year)

Uploaded this morning

The hockey guy talks to every teams fans so apparently some did.

I don’t doubt fans cheered for him too though.

I like THG. That doesn't mean he is always right. He's generally a pretty good middle judge and I enjoy his commentary. The thing is. He even said it he really likes Berglund. Berglund is fine in a 3rd line role if you aren't expecting points. If you are expecting any type of offense out of him outside of goals. Good luck.

Also generally YouTube fans are an awful barometer to judge people. Regardless I don't think this is an awful trade for Buffalo. They needed depth and they got it. We didn't need depth, we needed secondary scoring, and we got it. This is not a win-lose situation it's orettt win win.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Buffalo did fine in the trade. Blues got a key missing piece. Everybody happy. As somebody mentioned, it’s like the trade last year. Blues are thrilled to have Schenn and be free of Lehtera’s contract, and the Flyers are thrilled to have Frost and Farabee. Trades can be win-win

Good take from a Blues fan who knows the players and merits of this deal. I'm a Pens fan so I have no bias either, and I'll give my take.

Other, less informed posters who are just crapping on BUF for this trade DON'T understand the lessons of the Oilers and Sabres in the recent past. The reason these teams have been without success and so slow to climb out of the cellar despite high picks is because they didn't have the quality DEPTH players for the bottom 6 and throughout the D-Corps, and/or also thrust young kids into roles too young and don't develop them properly. I think that Sobotka and Berglund help fill out the line up (whatever line they play on) by helping to augment the young kids.

And in terms of cap space, Buffalo also gains $3.5M in space after 2 years and then just under $4M after another 2 years. So cap space is not an issue for them now with Dahlin's and Mittlestadt's ELC's, but by the time these and other young players are eligible for raises, BUF will have more flexibility to sign UFAs or their own FAs. If Berglund or Sobotka suck at any point, they can be bought out or traded with retention for more cap space sooner. And if either of Sobotka or Berglund are playing well, BUF can trade them with salary retention and get some more picks as well.

Don't get me wrong: this deal is a huge win for the Blues, but Thompson and the 1st rounder would have to bust or top out as mediocre 3rd liners for this to be a total loser deal for BUF.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
LOL at blues fans.

When we traded for O’Reilly we dumped less then you did and we were only worse for it.

Hope his negativity doesent provide bad things for your dressing room like it did it Colorado and buffalo.

Avs fans are happy with the trade now.

We are getting four to five serviceable roster pieces and two of them we don’t know yet could be absolute beauties.

If you think this was a steal of a trade I can’t help but laugh.

He did nothing but whine and NOT help us finish better then dead last.

I would laugh even harder if this ends up like duchene and he goes to a team that starts losing (even though I like the blues) or even if they don’t start losing if buffalo turns it around like Colorado did last year. If Colorado can last year why can’t we with Dahlin Eichel and mittlestadt ? Even our goalies on paper are bettter then the avs.

Buffalo has now got rid of three headcases in Lehner Kane and ror.

Your post reeks of desperation

FtheRef

Oct 1, 2017
I still can't believe we managed to dump two 3rd liners away and give away prospect which I wasn't fan of at all + late 1st round + 2nd. This was amazing trade by Army.

I’m not so sure the 1st round pick will be a “late” one.....theBlues still need to play 82 games, it very well could be an “early” 1st rounder.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m not so sure the 1st round pick will be a “late” one.....theBlues still need to play 82 games, it very well could be an “early” 1st rounder.
If its early, then Buffalo doesn't get it

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Not the worst deal ever. Blues get a really good center who wanted out it seems, and the Sabres acquires two solid vets, two decent picks and a decent prospect. Sobotka and Berglund will make the third line a good one as opposed to the crap they had earlier. Much hinges on Mittelstadt becoming good.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not the worst deal ever. Blues get a really good center who wanted out it seems, and the Sabres acquires two solid vets, two decent picks and a decent prospect. Sobotka and Berglund will make the third line a good one as opposed to the crap they had earlier. Much hinges on Mittelstadt becoming good.

Because of injuries and dealing Stastny, Sobotka and Berglund ended up as the 6th and 7th forwards for the Blues last year at both even strength and on the powerplay. Berglund was serviceable and good defensively, but underwhelming overall; and most fans wanted Sobotka off the team for whatever price Armstrong could swing.

Maybe they gel with the Sabres, maybe they're put in better situations to succeed, maybe they become regulars on a hot powerplay, all kinds of ways they could stand out in Buffalo more than they did with the Blues. Both players definitely have an Angry Switch that turns them into better hockey players. If you can figure out how to flip that switch more often, then you have something notable. However, be wary of assuming that they'll form a good third line just because it's better than the one you had last year.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The question is, what use does Buffalo have for Berglund or Sobotka? These are 3rd line players, on Buffalo 2nd line. Why are they needed?

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
The question is, what use does Buffalo have for Berglund or Sobotka? These are 3rd line players, on Buffalo 2nd line. Why are they needed?

You should the see the bottom 6 from last year, basically a collection of vets beyond twilight years, career AHLers, and youngsters that are not yet ready. Berglund/Sobotka will bring much needed stability and respectability in the middle of the lineup, most likely both playing on third line at the start of the season. Then we'll see if kids like Asplund, Pu, Olofsson, Nylander, etc, can move up the organizational chart at some point in the eason.

Reactions: Flair Hay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad