Confirmed Trade: [STL/BUF] Ryan O'Reilly for 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I do wonder how Tarasenko and ROR will work on the ice. O’Reilly likes to leave it all on the ice and Tank likes to do multiple fly bys per game. Gotta wonder if Tank is going to up his game in the d-zone or if ROR will say anything to him about it. I don’t think O’Reilly is going to just accept it that’s for sure. Could be a clash but I’m hoping we see another level out of Tank instead.

Reactions: BA Carroll

BleedBlue4Life

Jan 24, 2012
Don’t feel the need to argue about who “won” the trade. As a blues fan, I LOVE it. It accomplished multiple needs at once. The fact people are arguing that the Sabres came out ahead also is just a bonus to me, since I really don’t care about the Sabres, and I believe the blues got much better as a team.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Blues got the best player in the deal by a mile.

I don't feel like the Sabres got robbed though. Botteril is clearly trying to do two things... keep add, add, adding to the prospect pool and make Rochester competitive again, which Thompson and the 1st contribute towards... and fix the locker room. Berglund was added in the mix as a high character guy to try and replace ROR's defensive minutes temporarily and probably get pushed down to the 4th line in a year or two when our younger centers like Mittelstadt, Asplund, maybe Reinhart, etc find their places. Sobotka may very well be a cap dump to make the deal happen... but we need to fill winger spots while the new batch of kids slow cook in the AHL so whatever.

I don't think ROR gets traded if he's beloved in the room, and I don't think the Sabres shit the bed so outrageously last year if everything is okay. Change was needed and when your giving up the best piece in the deal, it rarely looks like a "win" on paper. The Sabres needed help on and off the paper though. I'm willing to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Blueston said:
Berglund is apparently great guy but he (and Sobotka) were among players management apparently felt were more focused on NHL lifestyle than maximizing their impact on team. After benching he did seem to play better. And he was longest tenured player but didn't wear letter (don't think he ever did even when folks were hurt). He's not a bad player, but not sure he is guy you want to count on as veteran leader/mentor.

I don't buy this at all. I think he was benched in an effort to improve his performance on the ice. Berglund has a reputation for being a professional. When Stewart was his linemate, he talked about how he became a more responsible player because he joined Berglund in reviewing game footage on flights instead of playing cards or video games. Maybe that changed somewhere along the way, but I haven't heard a single "NHL lifestyle" criticism about Berglund from a reputable source.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If the Sabres can move Sobotka and Berglund for 2nds, I’d highly advise it. They both blow badly

Reactions: STLomacneko

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
If the Sabres can move Sobotka and Berglund for 2nds, I’d highly advise it. They both blow badly
I wonder how difficult it'll be with Berglund's limited NTC. I was thinking he could maybe fetch a low first if they put him in a position to succeed in Buffalo. If he's at 20+ goals at the trade deadline, I could see a bubble playoff team with multiple 1sts going for it.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As long as RoR continues to get his 21-22 mins a game top 8 league wide ice time among forwards he'll continue his 55-61 point type seasons. If he doesn't get 20-21 mins a night and copious PP1 time he's a 50 point guy.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
[mod]

When we traded for O’Reilly we dumped less then you did and we were only worse for it.

Hope his negativity doesent provide bad things for your dressing room like it did it Colorado and buffalo.

Avs fans are happy with the trade now.

We are getting four to five serviceable roster pieces and two of them we don’t know yet could be absolute beauties.

If you think this was a steal of a trade I can’t help but laugh.

He did nothing but whine and NOT help us finish better then dead last.

I would laugh even harder if this ends up like duchene and he goes to a team that starts losing (even though I like the blues) or even if they don’t start losing if buffalo turns it around like Colorado did last year. If Colorado can last year why can’t we with Dahlin Eichel and mittlestadt ? Even our goalies on paper are bettter then the avs.

Buffalo has now got rid of three headcases in Lehner Kane and ror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

They blow badly? We’re using them as bottom six forwards and as that there numbers are fine.

This can be a win win deal.

You blues fans said this about stastny and he did great on the Jets, so good that another team snagged him and the jets are left to say ...but why?

We want to get better now and add depth ....Why would we move thee guys for draft picks?

Berglund can be a 20 goal scorer and should be fine on our third line as a Center.

Sobotka maybe but who knows what if he works with berglund? Thompson sounded happy to get out and have the chance to play more.

We’re not counting on these guys to carry our team we needed...nhl players.

That’s not even including the first rd and second rd picks who could end up being amazing players.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
They blow badly? We’re using them as bottom six forwards and as that there numbers are fine.

This can be a win win deal.

You blues fans said this about stastny and he did great on the Jets, so good that another team snagged him and the jets are left to say ...but why?

We want to get better now and add depth ....Why would we move thee guys for draft picks?

Berglund can be a 20 goal scorer and should be fine on our third line as a Center.

Sobotka maybe but who knows what if he works with berglund? Thompson sounded happy to get out and have the chance to play more.

That’s not even including the first rd and second rd picks who could end up being amazing players.
Lol no Blues fan said the same about Stastny. There were a ton of Blues fans rooting for the Jets because of him.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Lol no Blues fan said the same about Stastny. There were a ton of Blues fans rooting for the Jets because of him.

Even the hockey guy on YouTube said blues fans said this about stastny.

Entitled “how bad will it be buffalo” (a series he is doing in the bottom ten teams from last year)

Uploaded this morning

The hockey guy talks to every teams fans so apparently some did.

I don’t doubt fans cheered for him too though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
STL made out like bandits. Couple tweeners that Blues fans were eager to get rid of (one that has KHL risk), their 4th-5th best prospect, a protected 1st and a 2nd years down the road for a minute-munching 60+ pt 2-way C is great for STL. I was expecting them to include one of Kyrou/Fabbri/Thomas/Kostin in a deal and cut some of the secondary pieces. ROR didn't even have a NTC/NMC so there was no restrictions on the teams that could propose great deals. STL gets a great and motivated player signed to a pretty fair deal until the end of his prime.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Entitled “how bad will it be buffalo” (a series he is doing in the bottom ten teams from last year)

Uploaded this morning

Oh ok, some guy on YouTube said it. I guess that’s a better source on blues fans opinions than blues fans themselves.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Oh ok, some guy on YouTube said it. I guess that’s a better source on blues fans opinions than blues fans themselves.

Not just some guy, not even just some random hockey guy, he is "THE hockey guy" on youtube. Show a little respect for such a preeminent authority on Blues fans, hockey fans and all things hockey to be discussed on youtube, the #1 place to go for hockey discussion.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is this guy serious? He really just cited a YouTuber as a source for something.

Good lord. :laugh:

Not to mention the other nonsense he posted. Buffalo has better goalies than Colorado? Well that's false.

I'm glad Tage Thompson is looking forward to playing more. Maybe he should focus on gaining 20 pounds so he'll actually be NHL ready and his development doesn't get completely botched. Just a thought though, you guys do whatever you want with him.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park

Uploaded this morning

I like THG's videos, but he's almost always wrong when it comes to Blues related stuff.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Just some helpful advice for Sabres fans and their new toys...

He might very well score 20 goals, but expecting him to be useful as a center is setting yourself up for disappointment. He is far better at this point in his career as a winger. He simply never developed the vision to set up his teammates or make them better in any discernable way. His strength is his cycling ability and his ability to protect the puck along the wall, both skills better suited for a winger. Fun fact: he had exactly one primary assist last year where he actually passed a puck to a goal scorer. All of his other assists (and they were few) were secondary assist or shots that were tipped. Great guy in the room, though, from all accounts.

Sobotka maybe but who knows what if he works with berglund?
Sobotka and Berglund really never worked together on the same line because their skills (cycling and protecting the puck) are so redundant. Neither are particularly fast, and Sobotka lost about 95% of his fire and grit when he returned from the KHL. Hopefully for Sabres fans that was just a function of him still being soured on the Blues organization and he turns that back on in Buffalo. Without that, he's pretty meh.

Thompson sounded happy to get out and have the chance to play more.
Thompson's biggest problem is that he needs to play less in the NHL, not more. He needs to add 20-30 pounds to his frame (which I'm sure he will do in time), learn to play better without the puck, and develop consistency where he doesn't take shifts/periods/games off. If your team is serious about maximizing his development he should play at least one full season in the AHL. He has some sick hands, a great shot and seems to see the game pretty well (he's a coach's kid), but he doesn't seem to like to keep his feet moving and it was clear last year he wasn't ready for the NHL. Frankly, if not for all of our injuries (especially Blais, who was far better than Thompson in the same role when healthy) he probably would have spent all of last season in the AHL and would be a better player for it today.

Well, you got two of them, albeit on the downsides of their careers, and as long as you don't need them to move into your Top 6 they should be OK. Berglund suffered a long time in STL under the shadow of expectations that he was the next Sundin. Sobotka seems more intent on preserving his health and extending his career than playing the style that put him in a position for his current contract. Thompson is not yet an NHL player. Despite the salty comments from a few BUF posters, the 1st next year (and likely the 2nd in 2021) will be late in the round based on reasonable expectations in the regular season. As always with the Blues franchise, whether they go anywhere in the playoffs is another matter, but I am optimistic.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
LOL at blues fans.

When we traded for O’Reilly we dumped less then you did and we were only worse for it.

Hope his negativity doesent provide bad things for your dressing room like it did it Colorado and buffalo.

Avs fans are happy with the trade now.

We are getting four to five serviceable roster pieces and two of them we don’t know yet could be absolute beauties.

If you think this was a steal of a trade I can’t help but laugh.

He did nothing but whine and NOT help us finish better then dead last.

I would laugh even harder if this ends up like duchene and he goes to a team that starts losing (even though I like the blues) or even if they don’t start losing if buffalo turns it around like Colorado did last year. If Colorado can last year why can’t we with Dahlin Eichel and mittlestadt ? Even our goalies on paper are bettter then the avs.

Buffalo has now got rid of three headcases in Lehner Kane and ror.
whatever you have to tell yourself.

The only reason why some Blues fans boasted is because how Orielly was going to cost Thomas, Kyrou or Parayko and ultimately didn't.

The reason why Ottawa crashed is because they were a mediocre team to begin with. Duchene wasnt much of an upgrade over Turris, Karlsson was at 50% and Anderson went Anderson. The Blues are adding O'Reilly, not swapping him out.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
sobotka is horrible. berglund is an alright 3rd liner, can pop 20 goals. thompson seems like a 3rd liner as well. berglund and sobotka have severe issues with effort and only seem to be here for the lifestyle.

only loss here was the #1 pick but great trade for STL regardless

Star67

Nov 17, 2017
Don't mind this trade for Buffalo. Frees up opportunity for a stud like Mittlestadt and gets a player who clearly doesn't want to be there out. Also Berglund and Sobotka on the third line as depth and PK purposes are not bad. Add a solid prospect and a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder on top of it.

Reactions: Mitts888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad