Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He's different than Yzerman, in a good way - I like his optimistic tone definitely sounds like we got a good replacement.

Plus if Yzerman does become the Red Wings GM, being in the boys club with him doesn't hurt.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would feel comfortable with giving domingue more starts this year. Give vassy some rest so he's not worn out.

Meh. Vasy's gotta get used to the workload. I think all goalies go through it. He was just more vocal about it than they usually are (by mentioning it at all). I think it was Lundqvist who backed Vasy up and said the first year as a starter is a shock to your system.

If it were an injury concern, I'd be with you. But if the concern is just fatigue, I'd bank on Vasy adapting. I'd like to see him get 60+ starts for the foreseeable future.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry to necro this. Cheering for you guys to win it all.

Is there an official expiration date for Yzerman's contract? I had guessed July 1, but couldn't find anything to confirm.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sorry to necro this. Cheering for you guys to win it all.

Is there an official expiration date for Yzerman's contract? I had guessed July 1, but couldn't find anything to confirm.
They don’t let stuff like contract details for managers and coaches go out unfortunately.

StaySalty

Apr 12, 2018
Lakeland, Florida
Biggest implosion in sports I have ever witnessed in my life with the series of events that have unfolded. So depressing. This team is like going up for your first sky dive, extremely exciting when you rise to the altitude and jump out. Except the f***ing parachute doesn't open.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Biggest implosion in sports I have ever witnessed in my life with the series of events that have unfolded. So depressing. This team is like going up for your first sky dive, extremely exciting when you rise to the altitude and jump out. Except the ****ing parachute doesn't open.
Yep, the saving grace is Vinik will eventually find the right guy after JBB. Maybe JBB will be ok but I have no confidence in him.

Reactions: MattM92

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I wouldn't even be disgruntled or upset if Vinik stepped in and just axed Brisebois and Cooper. We are an embarrassment right now and he knows it. The comments Brisebois made during the extension, during the exit interview and the thought of another possible failure with him as the coach next year can't be sitting well with Vinik. The downside is Brisebois does have potential and experience. It's early to write him off but he would be in good standing removing the leader of these debacles from behind the bench, but hes not going to.

We are f***ed for the time being.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
F@ed as in a perennial playoff team that until this season had played multiple playoff rounds with a good nucleus? I’m pissed off and angry as well but we still have a strong team that should be in the playoffs next year. Now if they are not then either major injuries or move on from this staff. But until then they’ve earned the chance. Plus no one of note is out there.

But from vinik’s perspective it’s pretty good. A bunch of locked in STMs for next season and a winning team. We do realize Barry Trotz couldn’t win the big one either until he did right?

Reactions: NatoGhost

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
F@ed as in a perennial playoff team that until this season had played multiple playoff rounds with a good nucleus? I’m pissed off and angry as well but we still have a strong team that should be in the playoffs next year. Now if they are not then either major injuries or move on from this staff. But until then they’ve earned the chance. Plus no one of note is out there.

But from vinik’s perspective it’s pretty good. A bunch of locked in STMs for next season and a winning team. We do realize Barry Trotz couldn’t win the big one either until he did right?

Sure, but he didn't win it in the place he put in like 20 years.

No coach wins it until they win it, but it's insanity to stick with the same guy forever because eventually the stars might align.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Like it's been mentioned before, this team is so talented any of us could get them into the playoffs. Lalonde, Halpern or Richards could. There's no reason a 62 win season should've resulted in a 0 win postseason. There needs to be a change.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I am amazed and shocked by the Lightning fan base with all of this nonsense. It was embarrassing to get knocked out of the 1st round of the playoffs after the season we just had. I get that. I just cannot get over how many of you are ready to jump ship if John Cooper, one of the best head coaches in the NHL (get over it, he is one of the best), does not get sent packing. Seriously? Give me a break.

He would get scooped right up by someone and we would be stuck with who? Another Guy Boucher or Steve Ludzik? I mean, come on guys, we ARE NOT going to replace John Cooper with someone better. Expecting a better coach than Cooper is foolish. There is just not a lot of quality coaches available.

Feeling as embarrassed about the 1st round exit as we do is an example of how we're victims of our own success.

I am not happy with all of Cooper's decisions... I think Palat should be on the 4th line or on the bench. The leash he's given him is waaayyyy too long. I don't like that he sat playoff warriors like Callahan and Coburn in the first two games of the playoffs. However, he didn't clear Hedman to play in games 1 and 2... and no one expected Hedman to play so horribly. No one expected Vasi to play so poorly in 3 of those 4 games either but he did. None of that is Cooper's fault. Is Cooper without fault? Of course not, he didn't make the adjustments he should have made and stuck with non-performers for too long. However, getting rid of Cooper is not the answer here... it's not even a good first step.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad