Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm hoping this is all hyperbole. As much as I'm not a fan of the trade, we're gonna be fine.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Talk about overreaction, jeez.
We now have the best lineup the Lightning organization has ever see, but we are angry about 2 first round pick.

Smh

This was a satirical bump but honestly, fans have every right to be critical.

3*, let's not pretend that first round picks are candy. We've had a long enough cup window to know that asset management is still important, even if you're going all in. And if you're going all in, at least get something that's going to make a dent. Coleman I could understand, the Goodrow one is just careless.

Reactions: ultra63

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
This was a satirical bump but honestly, fans have every right to be critical.

3*, let's not pretend that first round picks are candy. We've had a long enough cup window to know that asset management is still important, even if you're going all in. And if you're going all in, at least get something that's going to make a dent. Coleman I could understand, the Goodrow one is just careless.
Asset management is important, what about cap management while assuring the team stays as competitive as possible? Isn't that important?

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I don't know Star Wars characters that well, but if Yzerman was a Jedi Master, what does that make JBB now?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
How about we look at the positive and negative things JBB has done in the last 12 months.

REALLY POSITIVE:
Cap crunch has been handled and will continue to be handled.
Point bridge contract
Callahan LTIR Trade

Positive:
Shatty (don't want him to leave)
Maroon
Vasy signed 8 years
McElhinney

Neutral (some good some bad):
Coleman trade
Vasy 9.5 AAV..... pricey but had to be done
Letting Domingue go. He wasn't good, but damn I loved him
Schenn
Bogosian

Bad:
Goodrow for a first

I would say JfBB has been more than competent over the course of his tenure. Coleman and Goodrow (with their contracts) are likely worth a 1st, second, and medium prospect. Unfortunately, we paid 2 1st and a decent prospect. Overpay for sure, but tbh not a big deal in the long run whatsoever.

PS: Now to all you saying trade TyJo. ABSOLUTELY NOT. We should not trade him, and actually hope he rebounds slightly next year. He is perfect expansion bait for Seattle and can help us protect other guys while also creating 5M in space that summer. In a vacuum I would say trade him, but Seattle offers a perfect way to offload him.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
How about we look at the positive and negative things JBB has done in the last 12 months.

REALLY POSITIVE:
Point bridge contract
Callahan LTIR Trade

Positive:
Maroon
Vasy signed 8 years
McElhinney

Coleman trade

Bad:
Goodrow for a first
Schenn
Bogosian (more of a whatever move, he sucks but we need depth I guess)

I would say JfBB has been more than competent over the course of his tenure. Coleman and Goodrow (with their contracts) are likely worth a 1st, second, and medium prospect. Unfortunately, we paid 2 1st and a decent prospect. Overpay for sure, but tbh not a big deal in the long run whatsoever.

PS: Now to all you saying trade TyJo. ABSOLUTELY NOT. We should not trade him, and actually hope he rebounds slightly next year. He is perfect expansion bait for Seattle and can help us protect other guys while also creating 5M in space that summer. In a vacuum I would say trade him, but Seattle offers a perfect way to offload him.

We paid a lot in the prices due to Coleman and Goodrow didn't have to be traded by those teams they were not pending UFA's so that's why they cost more they were not rentals. Schenn and Bogosian were not bad they were little to no risk we didn't give up any assets for them

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
We paid a lot in the prices due to Coleman and Goodrow didn't have to be traded by those teams they were not pending UFA's so that's why they cost more they were not rentals. Schenn and Bogosian were not bad they were little to no risk we didn't give up any assets for them
Those last two are tongue in cheek. They don't matter really in the big picture

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

REALLY POSITIVE:
Point bridge contract
Callahan LTIR Trade

Positive:
Maroon
Vasy signed 8 years
McElhinney

Coleman trade

Bad:
Goodrow for a first
Schenn
Bogosian (more of a whatever move, he sucks but we need depth I guess)

Lmao how can Schenn and Bogosian be in the bad when they came as depth Dmen without any cost?

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019

Where do you rank that gum chewer? Cuz, I still think we're out in R2, at latest, because of gum chewer...

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Where do you rank that gum chewer? Cuz, I still think we're out in R2, at latest, because of gum chewer...
Unsure. I think Cooper has clearly shown he can run a great system that maximizes the strengths of our players. At the same time, however, he has struggled to adapt to coaches that try to hard-counter our system. I am sure he will "get it" eventually, but I am not sure I want to wait for that day to come. Another bad loss this year and I think he is out

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Unsure. I think Cooper has clearly shown he can run a great system that maximizes the strengths of our players. At the same time, however, he has struggled to adapt to coaches that try to hard-counter our system. I am sure he will "get it" eventually, but I am not sure I want to wait for that day to come. Another bad loss this year and I think he is out

Don't bother. It's personal

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ya know.... the acquisitions of Coleman and Goodrow that seemed to such a heavy price at the time might go down as one of the best in team history. It's hard to tell which is more impressive. The work JBB and Jamie Pushor would've had to do together figuring out that these two completely random players on other sides of the continent from both us and each other would be the missing ingredient. Or JBB having the nerve to dump two 1st round picks and Nolan Foote to do it. I'm not saying Yzerman wouldn't have done it either but his trades had almost always looked like "water-into-wine" as soon as they were announced. If anything those trades were like "Man I hope it's worth it. Ha! Was it ever.

We still have 2 more wins to go before we can officially call ourselves back-to-back champions and if (God willing) we pull it off, they're gonna have no small part in it.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If a year or so ago you told me it would cost 3 1st round picks and Nolan Foote for Coleman, Goodrow, and Savard, I would have asked you if JBB had lost his damn mind. Undoubtedly however, we all gladly pay that price again knowing what we know now.

A little nuance, making moves to push a team to a championship is incredibly difficult to do and can rely on a bit of luck, which he's done. Creating value and good asset management is also extremely difficult, which Yzerman did extremely well and JBB will have to do after this season when we lose a ton of our roster as cap casualties.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If a year or so ago you told me it would cost 3 1st round picks and Nolan Foote for Coleman, Goodrow, and Savard, I would have asked you if JBB had lost his damn mind. Undoubtedly however, we all gladly pay that price again knowing what we know now.

A little nuance, making moves to push a team to a championship is incredibly difficult to do and can rely on a bit of luck, which he's done. Creating value and good asset management is also extremely difficult, which Yzerman did extremely well and JBB will have to do after this season when we lose a ton of our roster as cap casualties.

if we win two Stanley cups making all these moves losing the assets I definitely won’t care lol

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Goodrow and Coleman were as much about the contracts as the players. They make ridiculously little money for what they bring, and we got them for 2 years, not 1. Thus, the huge price.

Best trade in franchise history, though, might just be the one where we moved up a single spot in the 3rd round to draft Brayden Point. Pretty amazing how that turned out.

Reactions: Hoek and NatoGhost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad