Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
if we win two Stanley cups making all these moves losing the assets I definitely won’t care lol

Well, and also as I found out looking at the statistics a few months ago...between 2003-'16, 31st overall draft picks, in general, weren't any good. Goalies drafted there hasn't been too terrible (Markstrom and Koskinen were 31st overall picks), but forwards and defensemen...pretty much nobody of substance. Once you realize that, it really becomes quite easy to justify trading (what you hope to be) a late 1st round pick for immediate help when you're in a Cup window. Odds are, you're going to get more bang for your buck than you would've gotten with the draft pick and who it was spent on.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Goodrow and Coleman were as much about the contracts as the players. They make ridiculously little money for what they bring, and we got them for 2 years, not 1. Thus, the huge price.

Best trade in franchise history, though, might just be the one where we moved up a single spot in the 3rd round to draft Brayden Point. Pretty amazing how that turned out.

Moving up for Point was the best? That is BOLD man. I suppose it depends on what the definition of "best" is because another big one was that we got Lecavalier via the Panthers winning the 1998 lottery but in a prior trade with the Sharks we reserved the right to swap picks with them and got our hands on that. Meanwhile Downie -> Quincey -> Red Wings 1st -> Andrei Vasilevskiy is some Sam Pollock stuff.

But in defense of Yzerman... that convoluted lottery f***ery says more about Esposito than anything else and moving up for Point was nevertheless a lightning strike.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Moving up for Point was the best? That is BOLD man. I suppose it depends on what the definition of "best" is because another big one was that we got Lecavalier via the Panthers winning the 1998 lottery but in a prior trade with the Sharks we reserved the right to swap picks with them and got our hands on that. Meanwhile Downie -> Quincey -> Red Wings 1st -> Andrei Vasilevskiy is some Sam Pollock stuff.

But in defense of Yzerman... that convoluted lottery f***ery says more about Esposito than anything else and moving up for Point was nevertheless a lightning strike.

I think it's the Point trade because we made that deal to specifically get Point, not the pick, whereas the Quincey trade was about getting a pick that turned out to be 19th overall. The Point trade was because we wanted Brayden Point, not just a pick where we would take whoever was best when it came time.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
I think it's the Point trade because we made that deal to specifically get Point, not the pick, whereas the Quincey trade was about getting a pick that turned out to be 19th overall. The Point trade was because we wanted Brayden Point, not just a pick where we would take whoever was best when it came time.
I agree with this. There's always an element of luck with trading for a pick, but in this case it was the Lightning's incredible insight into the potential of Point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with this. There's always an element of luck with trading for a pick, but in this case it was the Lightning's incredible insight into the potential of Point.

I posted a while back that, according to Craig Button, Al Murray thought he could get fired if TB didn't land Point in his draft year, given how high on him Yzerman was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad