Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
No, he wasn't. You don't believe anything unless they say it in front of the cameras? Really?

Read the articles with Vinik from the playoffs last year. He was talking about Yzerman long term. If you believe Yzerman was transparent with Vinik and he knew Yzerman would just suddenly quit on the team and the fans, you're very naive.

Naw man. All Vinik said was that he was confident that he could extend Yzerman. I doubt they had any conversations when he said that.

I think you're just upset that we're not as upset as you want us to be.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
There is no need for drama here.

No player or leader will ever be greater than the team/organization itself. A GM is an important role but I value a good owner even more and I would be much more worried if Vinik left.

Now, I appreciate what Yzerman has done, he has been overall a great GM and I respect him a lot. I also respect his decision, we all knew this day would come and he has been here for eight years after all.

I'm confident Briesbois will do a good job and this organization will continue to compete for the Stanley Cup, so all that remains is to thank SFY and wish him good luck in Detroit (yes I know he remains in our organization this season but still)
Oh yes...Finally. True words Maelmoor.
I totally agree with you.

Reactions: Maelmoor

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The fact that his daughters are all now out of the house IS part of the family issue! Most hockey wives have spent most or all of their husband's career dealing with raising the kids, often as a single mom while Dad is travelling around the country. Now that the kids are all gone, I can easily see Mrs. Yzerman having a major case of Empty Nest Syndrome! After putting your entire effort and energy into raising the kids the house can feel mighty empty. Besides, it's time to actually spend some quality moments with your husband before you both get too old to appreciate it! Plus the possibility that the older daughters might get married and have children sooner than later. Many people really want to be close to their grown families/grandchildren. I don't blame either Mr. or Mrs. Yzerman for that since we're rapidly approaching that time with our own son who will be graduating college soon so I can see her/their point of view.

Yzerman not only built this team into a perpetual contender, he prepared us for the best possible transfer of power. How many new GMs get to take over a flourishing, vibrant cup contender and just "put the finishing touches" on it as BriseBois said in the presser?? The vast majority of the time new GMs come in when everything has gone to Hell in a Handbasket!

Plus, since we've become familiar with the kind of man he is after 8 years with us, we're comfortable knowing that he will dedicate all his hockey operations time to helping JB and working more with the Crunch for this season. What happens after this season?? That's his business. I could understand him wanting to help rescue the Red Wings since they still have a special place in his heart. Aside from when they've played the Lightning these last 8 years. ;) And I'd wish him the best of everything because we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for what he has done for this team.

Some of us have been around since the beginning of the team and have lived through horrid time with horrible GMs or owners. So yeah, we are going to miss him and are sad, but we're also so very happy that he did what he did here in Tampa for the Lightning Organization.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So you assume you know the truth, and because Yzerman didn't say what you believe is the truth, we're guilty of not calling him on BS.

Family doesn't just mean kids. The guy has a wife who's had her husband on the road for the better part of 30 years, and, as Sky keeps bringing up, now the kids are gone. (She originally moved to be closer to one of the daughters, so family is a big deal for these people.)

The travel would have been grueling. If indeed Yzerman is eyeing the Detroit job, because it's closer to home, that doesn't make him a traitor or anything. Sheesh. I know we make a lot of jokes about him being a cyborg, but he's a human being. He's the guy who set the organization up to sustain his own loss. We'll be fine moving forward, because we're built like a machine that barely needs a driver.
You make a great point too about him not just being away from loved ones for the last 8 years, but he's been on the move for most of his life as a professional hockey player. That's a hard life style, not just for hockey players who leave home early, but also for those they're away from. I can't see Yzerman stepping completely away from the game he loves and has given so much back to, but I can definitel0y see why after all this time he'd want to slow things down and re-evaluate what he wants to do going into his mid-50s. He's done soooooo much for the Tampa Bay Lightning to take us from laughing stock to model franchise, and you don't do that by not putting in the necessary work and then some, and then some more. I hope we can find a solution somewhere that makes sense for the Lightning and the Yzerman family to keep him working for the bolts in some capacity, but if not I wish one of the most important figures in our history well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, he wasn't. You don't believe anything unless they say it in front of the cameras? Really?

Read the articles with Vinik from the playoffs last year. He was talking about Yzerman long term. If you believe Yzerman was transparent with Vinik and he knew Yzerman would just suddenly quit on the team and the fans, you're very naive.

Viniks known since July, "read the articles" fool.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Viniks known since July, "read the articles" fool.

Before you go calling others names (and you might want to re-read the playoff thread where I was called names for actually suggesting this would basically happen and the majority/mob attacked me as crazy for suggesting such a thing). I said during the playoffs. That's not that long ago.

To suggest that Yzerman as transparent with Vinik when in May/June Vinik thought Yzerman would be in Tampa Bay long term is ridiculous.

The truth is obvious. Yzerman is leaving for Detroit but doesn't have the character to admit that's what is happening. I pointed out all the reasons why that would happen in the other thread.

You're blind to facts if you can't see that and see that what Yzerman did to the team was shady and crappy.

Mislead everyone and then create a distraction as training camp opens.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
You make a great point too about him not just being away from loved ones for the last 8 years, but he's been on the move for most of his life as a professional hockey player. That's a hard life style, not just for hockey players who leave home early, but also for those they're away from. I can't see Yzerman stepping completely away from the game he loves and has given so much back to, but I can definitel0y see why after all this time he'd want to slow things down and re-evaluate what he wants to do going into his mid-50s. He's done soooooo much for the Tampa Bay Lightning to take us from laughing stock to model franchise, and you don't do that by not putting in the necessary work and then some, and then some more. I hope we can find a solution somewhere that makes sense for the Lightning and the Yzerman family to keep him working for the bolts in some capacity, but if not I wish one of the most important figures in our history well.

Travel is part of the life for professional athletes which Yzerman has been his whole life.

This is all a BS excuse and anyone is naive if you are buying this story. If he wanted to live out his golden years with his wife in the house he should have thought of that before he signed the contract.

Let's not forget, he is essentially quitting -- he was under contract for one more as GM but didn't have the decency to honor it.

Keep all this "wants to be at home" garbage when he gets appointed Detroit Red Wings GM.

I'll remind you that it was the majority of TBL people who insisted he would not leave TB GM for Det GM.

That's what is happening. Open your eyes. The lightning, ownership, players and fanbase were all screwed by Yzerman and people don't even have the guts to call him out for it instead repeating this BS about spending time with his kids as though they are toddlers until you find out that they are all adults.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I don’t know how any Lightning fan can be angry with SY. He did a great job. He’s honored his contract. He’s probably going to a competitor, but the Lightning are better for his time here. I do believe this is still a very strong organization.

But there is no replacing SY.

Now if he starts plucking people from the organization in a year, yeah, I’ll have a problem with that.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Before you go calling others names (and you might want to re-read the playoff thread where I was called names for actually suggesting this would basically happen and the majority/mob attacked me as crazy for suggesting such a thing). I said during the playoffs. That's not that long ago.

To suggest that Yzerman as transparent with Vinik when in May/June Vinik thought Yzerman would be in Tampa Bay long term is ridiculous.

The truth is obvious. Yzerman is leaving for Detroit but doesn't have the character to admit that's what is happening. I pointed out all the reasons why that would happen in the other thread.

You're blind to facts if you can't see that and see that what Yzerman did to the team was shady and crappy.

Mislead everyone and then create a distraction as training camp opens.
I think that, sooner or later, Yzerman will return to Red Wings. Because it's right, I don't blame him. Also because, to be honest, I'd do the same thing.
But are you sure that he'll go to Detroit soon?
I've read that Holland has 2 many years on this contract. So the ways are 2: fire Holland or wait till the end of his contract...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oh yes...Finally. True words Maelmoor.
I totally agree with you.

Not a single one of us are saying Yzerman is bigger than the organization. We're just having a moment where we're disappointed a guy we liked, and who did a good job, is no longer going to be so front and center. It's not pessimism. It's just disappointment.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I don’t know how any Lightning fan can be angry with SY. He did a great job. He’s honored his contract. He’s probably going to a competitor, but the Lightning are better for his time here. I do believe this is still a very strong organization.

But there is no replacing SY.

Now if he starts plucking people from the organization in a year, yeah, I’ll have a problem with that.
1) Sorry but right now Red Wings are not a competitor and are not at the same level of the Lightning.
2) There's a replace for Yzerman. In the hockey, you could win also without Yzerman. :)

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Not a single one of us are saying Yzerman is bigger than the organization. We're just having a moment where we're disappointed a guy we liked, and who did a good job, is no longer going to be so front and center. It's not pessimism. It's just disappointment.
I can accept the disappointment DFC.
But read also the past posts...It seems that we cannot play hockey without Yzerman. And it seems that it's impossible to win without him.
Me too I'm disappointed: my first post in this thread was: "I'm shocked".
But everything has a limit. :)

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
1) Sorry but right now Red Wings are not a competitor and are not at the same level of the Lightning.
2) There's a replace for Yzerman. In the hockey, you could win also without Yzerman. :)
Huh? Didn’t say the Lightning can’t win.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Travel is part of the life for professional athletes which Yzerman has been his whole life.

This is all a BS excuse and anyone is naive if you are buying this story. If he wanted to live out his golden years with his wife in the house he should have thought of that before he signed the contract.

Let's not forget, he is essentially quitting -- he was under contract for one more as GM but didn't have the decency to honor it.

Keep all this "wants to be at home" garbage when he gets appointed Detroit Red Wings GM.

I'll remind you that it was the majority of TBL people who insisted he would not leave TB GM for Det GM.

That's what is happening. Open your eyes. The lightning, ownership, players and fanbase were all screwed by Yzerman and people don't even have the guts to call him out for it instead repeating this BS about spending time with his kids as though they are toddlers until you find out that they are all adults.

So the guy takes the organization and turns it completely around, makes it more/less a perennial contender, a place where even the best players actually want to be, and leaves us in good hands... and you're upset that he's chosen to leave. It doesn't even ****ing matter what his reasons for leaving are. They're his reasons.

Professional athletes retire. Yzerman never did. Nobody has a clue what kind of stuff he has going on at home, but I'm gonna guess he didn't just up and decide to "screw" TB, especially when the Detroit job won't even be available for at least a year. Family actually is important to some people. Even pro athletes. And not many of them have been on the road as intensely as Yzerman.

I don't understand why you can't appreciate the good work. He didn't owe you anything.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can accept the disappointment DFC.
But read also the past posts...It seems that we cannot play hockey without Yzerman. And it seems that it's impossible to win without him.
Me too I'm disappointed: my first post in this thread was: "I'm shocked".
But everything has a limit. :)

I did not see a post that said anything like that. I saw a lot of disappointment/disbelief. I didn't see anybody saying, "Well, I guess we're screwed now."

We're just taking a day or two to appreciate a rare thing in the NHL: a good GM, who leaves before burning the team down. Most of the posts, if not all of them, think Brisbois will be a fine replacement. Sure, there are some concerns that he's a rookie, but even those are pretty mild.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I did not see a post that said anything like that. I saw a lot of disappointment/disbelief. I didn't see anybody saying, "Well, I guess we're screwed now."

We're just taking a day or two to appreciate a rare thing in the NHL: a good GM, who leaves before burning the team down. Most of the posts, if not all of them, think Brisbois will be a fine replacement. Sure, there are some concerns that he's a rookie, but even those are pretty mild.
The mess with my posts is born when I've read that you cannot play down what he's done here...And I've written that Yzerman deserved only respect but he's not more powerful and stronger than the entire organization.
Also because, imho, it's not right to think "Win for Yzerman next year" because the team should win for the community and the fans, not for a former GM.
Seeing that disappointment posts and remembering the posts I've read during the last winter about the team....beh, I've thought than 1+1=2 and "I'm scared" that people are thinking the same things...
But maybe it's my problem and it was a misunderstanding. If it was that, I'm sorry.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

This that not what he's doing now? Thinking about what he wants to do in the future, in either having a more limited role or leave entirely before signing another extension? Vinik wanted to get his contract done. The right move was to not sign onto more years this summer if he's unsure of what he wants at the moment.
That's one way to look at it, or you could see it as making sure he continues to groom his successor to ensure a smooth transition and continued success for the franchise after he's left (if he leaves all together). That's of great help to Brisebois to be able to lean on Yzerman for his first year as a GM. All 3 of Yzerman, Vinik, and Brisebois talked about alignment and not changing the plan in place or the overall organizational philosophy. If Yzerman just leaves at the end of 2019, that transition for Brisebois from assistant to gm probably is a bit rockier. It's also possible Brisebois who has been interviewed for the Wild and Penguins GM jobs could be snatched up by another team by the 2019 offseason, and then Vinik has to go searching for a brand new GM who might not match the alignment they wish to keep.

Also I don't see how anyone can say he's quitting. He's still here working for Lightning. Every little thing he can do for Brisebois will not just help us this season but in years to come. Quitting is demanding a trade to a single team, ensuring your GM and team have a harder time getting good assets back, and leaving behind a young team right before the playoffs. And that guy has his number in the rafters. Not many people in this business make sure their previous workplaces are set after their departures and care about their future success. He doesn't have to help Brisebois or the bolts, he could just walk out the door in 2019 and say best of luck.

I don't know what will happen, but if he leaves for Detroit, then like I said, I wish him well. He's done a hell of a job here and all I have and I think other fans have is respect and thanks for the job he's done to not only turn things around but make this a world class organization. Considering where we were in 2010, he's worked miracles.

As far as the family thing, that's his business. You're welcome to have the type of relationship with your loved ones you desire, and he has every right to do what he wishes too. Whatever he's missed as a father, a husband, a friend, etc, because of his career, I'm sure that's given him some thoughts about what's most important to him going forward. And I don't care how old or young his family members are. If he wants to wants to make a change to the dynamic of those relationships and be a bigger part of the lives that are important to him, then good for him. It's ridiculous to criticize him for such a thing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I heard someone comparing Yzerman to Mary Poppins and got a chuckle out of that. Yzerman is no Benedict Arnold, I am excited about his replacement and unless he is robbing us of talent like Murray we won't miss a beat. We have a lot of organizational talent personally recruited by Y

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->