Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bingo. He could win 10 Cups with 10 different teams over the course of his career, but it doesn't mean he's the guy who can get it done here.
If a coach can be that successful elsewhere then it's likely a poor reflection of the roster he failed with than vice versa -especially if that team continued to fail. Thus far Cooper's endorsement worries me

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I don't feel we've choked away championships more than once.
I give you:

2015: Hawks - outcoached by Q; team didn't really bother to show up for G4, G5, or G6
2016: Pens - outcoached by Sully; team had a team barfing session in G6 to piss away that series
2017: Oh, let's just say because some of ya'll get sick of me saying it: Cooper picked SUSTR to stay and toss Boyle
2018: Caps: outcoached by Trotz; team looked baffled, disoriented and ready for the beach
2019: BJ's; outcoached by Torts; team looked baffled, disoriented and ready for the beach

It's the consistency of "choking" or rather "ghosting" everyone in the playoffs, not just the SCF that makes people think, Cooper sucks, JBB is trash and this team, is doomed

GRATS to Yzerman! He is a demi-God there and that city, with everything else that is failing, needs their boy to come home.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I give you:

2015: Hawks - outcoached by Q; team didn't really bother to show up for G4, G5, or G6
2016: Pens - outcoached by Sully; team had a team barfing session in G6 to piss away that series
2017: Oh, let's just say because some of ya'll get sick of me saying it: Cooper picked SUSTR to stay and toss Boyle
2018: Caps: outcoached by Trotz; team looked baffled, disoriented and ready for the beach
2019: BJ's; outcoached by Torts; team looked baffled, disoriented and ready for the beach

It's the consistency of "choking" or rather "ghosting" everyone in the playoffs, not just the SCF that makes people think, Cooper sucks, JBB is trash and this team, is doomed

GRATS to Yzerman! He is a demi-God there and that city, with everything else that is failing, needs their boy to come home.
2015 - 4/6 players in our top six battled injuries including broken hands, wrists, and a crippled goaltender.
2016 - Not Vasys best showing
2017 - "Toss Boyle"? What does that even mean? You think Cooper had a say in... keeping Sustr... over Boyle?
2018 - Ready for the beach? Seven games they drug the eventual champ to, that sounds like a whole bunch of guys that checked out to me!

Chokers don't even have the kind of success we do thus far, without a title. Choking is not getting out of the second round for a f***ing decade, like the Caps that have suddenly become the golden child or gold standard.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
2015 - 4/6 players in our top six battled injuries including broken hands, wrists, and a crippled goaltender.
2016 - Not Vasys best showing
2017 - "Toss Boyle"? What does that even mean? You think Cooper had a say in... keeping Sustr... over Boyle?
2018 - Ready for the beach? Seven games they drug the eventual champ to, that sounds like a whole bunch of guys that checked out to me!

Chokers don't even have the kind of success we do thus far, without a title. Choking is not getting out of the second round for a ****ing decade, like the Caps that have suddenly become the golden child or gold standard.

I feel like you're overrating our success and underrating the Caps success.

We are title-less for 6 years under Cooper. Caps were title-less for 10 under 4 different coaches before winning the Cup. We are well on the way.

Reactions: PJ817

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I feel like you're overrating our success and underrating the Caps success.

We are title-less for 6 years under Cooper. Caps were title-less for 10 under 4 different coaches before winning the Cup. We are well on the way.
Right, and they traded futures (Filip Forsberg for Erat?) all the time that cost them, they dumped coaches (and coaches dumped them), if we want to copy that model and just fire/trade everyone and get nowhere I guess thats a plan.

I'm far from underrating the Caps success because, outside of a cup, they haven't done a f***ing thing. They had a number of years where they couldn't win more than six games, six games! Multiple presidents trophies, and bounced in the first round in seven games by Montreal, the next year they clawed past NYR only to get face f***ed by us in the second round. They basically had everyone drag them to seven games and eventually beat them. Everyone joked about WSH-PIT, but it should have been WSH-NYR because the Rangers worked them over, and over, and over, and over.... they couldn't even make the playoffs in the 13-14 season. 2015 had the Isles drag them to, you guessed it, seven games, where they went onto the second round to get slapped by the New York Rangers, again. 2016 they got through Philly in the first round to fall to Pittsburgh. 2017, they beat Toronto to face Pittsburgh and lose again in 7. Three presidents trophies and couldn't get out of the first or second round.

Washington, outside of the cup, hasn't just failed. They have defined failure. They took it, they polished it, and put a chrome-like finish on it to show the world, over and over again. They have turned it into an artform.

This season sucked, but we're not the Capitals.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Right, and they traded futures (Filip Forsberg for Erat?) all the time that cost them, they dumped coaches (and coaches dumped them), if we want to copy that model and just fire/trade everyone and get nowhere I guess thats a plan.

I'm far from underrating the Caps success because, outside of a cup, they haven't done a ****ing thing. They had a number of years where they couldn't win more than six games, six games! Multiple presidents trophies, and bounced in the first round in seven games by Montreal, the next year they clawed past NYR only to get face ****ed by us in the second round. They basically had everyone drag them to seven games and eventually beat them. Everyone joked about WSH-PIT, but it should have been WSH-NYR because the Rangers worked them over, and over, and over, and over.... they couldn't even make the playoffs in the 13-14 season. 2015 had the Isles drag them to, you guessed it, seven games, where they went onto the second round to get slapped by the New York Rangers, again. 2016 they got through Philly in the first round to fall to Pittsburgh. 2017, they beat Toronto to face Pittsburgh and lose again in 7. Three presidents trophies and couldn't get out of the first or second round.

Washington, outside of the cup, hasn't just failed. They have defined failure. They took it, they polished it, and put a chrome-like finish on it to show the world, over and over again. They have turned it into an artform.

Of the 5 years we've made the playoffs under Cooper, we have won 0 games twice. That is 40% of our playoff runs with 0 wins.

We were dragged to 7 by Detroit. Dragged to 7 by Pittsburgh. Dragged to 7 by Washington themselves. We've been suffocated to the point of multi-game shutouts/1 goal games THREE TIMES. We have blown series leads late in the playoffs THREE TIMES. That's the other 60% of our playoff runs! That means we either get swept in the first round OR we blow a 2-1/3-2 series lead. There is no in between.

The point is, they did not blow everything up and keep setting themselves back. They kept the core together and kept changing the surrounding pieces to see what worked better. They changed coaches several times. They didn't stagnate in the same air of failure for half a decade straight and refuse to try something else. They made mistakes at times, but there isn't a team that hasn't. Frankly, just like the players on the ice, I'd rather the front office make a mistake of commission than omission. I'd rather they try to make the team better than be scared about making the team worse.

Washington was not a playoff success before 2018, but you can never claim they weren't afraid to try new things. We are. So yes, you're right. We're not the Capitals.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I'm far from underrating the Caps success because, outside of a cup, they haven't done a ****ing thing. They had a number of years where they couldn't win more than six games, six games! Multiple presidents trophies, and bounced in the first round in seven games by Montreal, the next year they clawed past NYR only to get face ****ed by us in the second round. They basically had everyone drag them to seven games and eventually beat them. Everyone joked about WSH-PIT, but it should have been WSH-NYR because the Rangers worked them over, and over, and over, and over.... they couldn't even make the playoffs in the 13-14 season. 2015 had the Isles drag them to, you guessed it, seven games, where they went onto the second round to get slapped by the New York Rangers, again. 2016 they got through Philly in the first round to fall to Pittsburgh. 2017, they beat Toronto to face Pittsburgh and lose again in 7. Three presidents trophies and couldn't get out of the first or second round.

agreed i kinda hope they win the cup again this year then i can argue with self more on maybe they woulda had our number anyway haha... but they sucked for 12 years they underperformed 12 times imho and they were embarrassment on paper so one year screw ups? not that big of a deal honestly... just sucks all we did to have this result :)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Of the 5 years we've made the playoffs under Cooper, we have won 0 games twice. That is 40% of our playoff runs with 0 wins.

We were dragged to 7 by Detroit. Dragged to 7 by Pittsburgh. Dragged to 7 by Washington themselves. We've been suffocated to the point of multi-game shutouts/1 goal games THREE TIMES. We have blown series leads late in the playoffs THREE TIMES. That's the other 60% of our playoff runs! That means we either get swept in the first round OR we blow a 2-1/3-2 series lead. There is no in between.

The point is, they did not blow everything up and keep setting themselves back. They kept the core together and kept changing the surrounding pieces to see what worked better. They changed coaches several times. They didn't stagnate in the same air of failure for half a decade straight and refuse to try something else. They made mistakes at times, but there isn't a team that hasn't. Frankly, just like the players on the ice, I'd rather the front office make a mistake of commission than omission. I'd rather they try to make the team better than be scared about making the team worse.

Washington was not a playoff success before 2018, but you can never claim they weren't afraid to try new things. We are. So yes, you're right. We're not the Capitals.
Alright, and outside of this sweep, when was the last time it happened? Montreal. Do we remember why that happened? Because we had a crippled goalie and had to depend on a 20 year old Latvian who hardly ever saw NHL ice because Anders Lindback couldn't... do anything, I guess. Shame on Cooper for not coaching better?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Alright, and outside of this sweep, when was the last time it happened? Montreal. Do we remember why that happened? Because we had a crippled goalie and had to depend on a 20 year old Latvian who hardly ever saw NHL ice because Anders Lindback couldn't... do anything, I guess. Shame on Cooper for not coaching better?

There's always an excuse. I've seen plenty. There's no asterisk next to that series result because Bishop was injured. You win or you lose. We lost. If we want to dig into the Caps failures over 10 years, I'm sure we could find some injuries there too.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Revisionist history - they didn't just change coaches, coaches ducked that team quickly. They set themselves back multiple times, wasted prospects, and honestly if it weren't for certain teams being inept (looking at you, St. Louis) they'd be shit out of luck but still managed to get Oshie for Troy Brouwer. Again, if you want to blow things up because it makes you feel better, its certainly a plan, but a stupid one when you have a team that just won 62 games.

Appreciate you using small sample sizes to make 40% LOOK HUGE.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
There's always an excuse. I've seen plenty. There's no asterisk next to that series result because Bishop was injured. You win or you lose. We lost. If we want to dig into the Caps failures over 10 years, I'm sure we could find some injuries there too.
If you can't see how Bishop being injured and turning the series over to two .890 goaltenders can change an outcome, I just can't f***ing help you man. Be mad by yourself then.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
“If you can't see how Bishop being injured and turning the series over to two .890 goaltenders can change an outcome, I just can't ****ing help you man. Be mad by yourself then.”

Wow dude you sound so salty... still salty about losing to the caps? The caps owned the lighting when they were both in SE conference

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Revisionist history - they didn't just change coaches, coaches ducked that team quickly. They set themselves back multiple times, wasted prospects, and honestly if it weren't for certain teams being inept (looking at you, St. Louis) they'd be **** out of luck but still managed to get Oshie for Troy Brouwer. Again, if you want to blow things up because it makes you feel better, its certainly a plan, but a stupid one when you have a team that just won 62 games.

Appreciate you using small sample sizes to make 40% LOOK HUGE.

You are the king of strawman arguments. I have stated ad nauseam that I DON'T want us to blow things up. I'm simply saying changes are needed. I would love for you to find one of my posts saying we should blow everything up and start over.

And it's not like I'm not cherry picking anything, I'm using the entire population of data. It's not my fault it's only 6 years. Reality cares not how big the data set is.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
If you can't see how Bishop being injured and turning the series over to two .890 goaltenders can change an outcome, I just can't ****ing help you man. Be mad by yourself then.

Lol what? He’s trying to be impartial and say injuries are a part of the game. He’s not discounting the fact that a lighting player was hurt.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If you can't see how Bishop being injured and turning the series over to two .890 goaltenders can change an outcome, I just can't ****ing help you man. Be mad by yourself then.

I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference on the ice. I'm just saying it's an excuse and something every team goes through.

Wow dude you sound so salty... still salty about losing to the caps? The caps owned the lighting when they were both in SE conference

Did you try actually reading my posts? I'm saying we should look to the Caps as an example, not ripping on them.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Man, that series was painful. Whole team couldn’t play when lindback was in net. As soon as they threw the back up in during game four, the team came alive.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We also just flat-out weren't a very good team that year. We were okay, and we had a lot of energy and excitement. But our best guys were like 23 years old without much meaningful playoff experience.

I do believe Cooper's our weakest link, but I don't think that means we have to hold every failure of the team against him. His inability to adjust has always been a downfall, and there are plenty of examples of that without resorting to examples where it really didn't matter who was coaching us.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man, that series was painful. Whole team couldn’t play when lindback was in net. As soon as they threw the back up in during game four, the team came alive.

Lindback was a rebound machine. Our D just does not work when the goalie is giving up wild rebounds. We've seen it with other goalies, including Vasy in his early days, when he was depending on acrobatics to make ridiculous saves.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We also just flat-out weren't a very good team that year. We were okay, and we had a lot of energy and excitement. But our best guys were like 23 years old without much meaningful playoff experience.

I do believe Cooper's our weakest link, but I don't think that means we have to hold every failure of the team against him. His inability to adjust has always been a downfall, and there are plenty of examples of that without resorting to examples where it really didn't matter who was coaching us.

I'm not holding that series against him. I'm of the belief that he has had his 5 shots in 6 years and it's time to move on. I don't think the love child of Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour could have won us that Montreal series.

Reactions: DFC

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference on the ice. I'm just saying it's an excuse and something every team goes through.

Did you try actually reading my posts? I'm saying we should look to the Caps as an example, not ripping on them.

My bad dude I actually agreed with your take. I accidentally quoted you instead of the other guy you were debating

Reactions: MattM92

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
My bad dude I actually agreed with your take. I accidentally quoted you instead of the other guy you were debating

No worries, figured that's what happened. Re-read my response to you and it sounded dickish. Sorry about that, didn't mean it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad